I've learned to love commercials- why can't I love my TiVo

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bromwyn, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Bromwyn

Bromwyn Auditioning

Anybody else here have Tivo--I'm sure there are a few of you- but anybody else having a hard time letting go of commercials? Maybe it's because I'm still iffy on the Tivo controls, which aren't difficult I just am having some strange kind of mental malfunction it wouldn't be the first time though, I just figured out how to use predictive texting on my cell and that took the t9.com tutorial so-please consider the source-- but for you tivo folks--do any of you miss the commercials and then what are your favorite commercials? I know-- that was a lot-

My favorite commercials are Dairy Queen Commercials (the mouth on fire and brownie batter commercial) Geico Commercials (The one with the Gazelle guy and the Cavemen), the Capital One commercials (the pillagers getting new jobs, Citi (identity theft)and there is this Kodak Commercial that is uncomfortably touching--I get chills watching it (the one with the little kids in the museum of pictures)

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I have a PVR (from Rogers, not a Tivo), and between that, and DVDs, I don't watch any TV commercials anymore. I actually don't mind targeted advertising (like for HT products on the HTF), but the majority of TV ads are for things that I could care less about. No 30s skip button, but the FF works just as well (except for being a little harder to time). Can't believe that I used to live without a PVR-it's really one of the best gadgets to come along in the last few years!

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    1) This really belongs in Personal Video & DVD Recorders section, not in the forum devoted to TV programming on DVD.

2) Why do you "miss" commercials? Your TiVo records them along with the programs and there's nothing that prevents you from watching them when you play a show back. If I'm fast forwarding through commercials in a show I'll often rewind and watch a commerical I haven't seen before if something about it catches my eye. And since I do watch some shows and especially sporting events "live" it isn't like I never see the things.

Regards,

Joe

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

my wife and I intentionally start watching a show late so that we can fast forward through them. It saddens us greatly when we catch up, so much so that we have coined the phrase "we have no tivo left".

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, it's not like TiVo removes the commercials... what's stopping you from watching them?

Same here (though I don't FF, I use the 30 sec skip). That's how advertising should work. [​IMG]

And no, I don't miss being forced to watch commercials at all. If I ever do, I'll just make sure to turn on CMT for a few minutes and get my fill. [​IMG]

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I must say that BlueFly.com's commercial has managed to hold my attention. [​IMG]

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Mylan, it's the same 'round my house. We start shows late and then grouse loudly when we catch up to normal time. Our DVR gives us a little "Live" notice, at which point we groan: "Live? Noooooooo! I hate live!" [​IMG] Oh, how spoiled we've become.

8. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I can't think of one commercial I ever liked...even during the Superbowl.

9. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    We use a DVD recorder with a hard drive. I record virtually everything to the hard drive, and then, before watching it, will go through and edit out all of the commercial breaks, so that when we watch the show together, it's like watching a DVD version with no commercials.

Hour shows finish in 42 minutes. While it's true that it takes time to do the actual editing, it makes the viewing of the program ever-so-much more entertaining without the interruptions.

That recent CATEGORY 7 thing took us three hours instead of four to get through, and I was able to get rid of all of those annoying previews and recaps that surrounded the commercial breaks.

If, during my editing process, I see a commercial that grabs me, I'll stop and watch it. But that's fairly rare.

Harry

10. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I haven't yet gotten into Personal Video Recorders such as TiVo; I still use a VCR to catch television programming that I miss.

Although the majority of commercials are annoying, there are the occasional commercial spots that are definite 'must sees' in my book, such as the Robin Hood flour campaign as produced by Toronto's Redrover studios.

Redrover exquisitely animated and rendered these shorts with 3D computer imagery. There have been three shorts done so far including the recent Christmas holiday-themed spot.

Check one of them out:
    [​IMG]
    Robin Hood Memories

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I've never heard of anyone missing commercials. Ocasionally I will stop if there is a movie preview or something but I dont miss them!

12. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

We have a DVD recorder with a hard drive too and I can't imagine doing this with everything we record. I just don't have the time.

I'm famous for recording things, like a Movie-of-the-Week, with the intent of watching it later. Well, sometimes we start running out of room on the hard drive so I'll dub the movie to a DVD-R to view later. I used to take out the commercials before I did this but it got to be so time consuming that I realized it took up as much time to fast forward thru the commercials as it did to edit them out. The only time I'll do it now is if there is a disc space issue.

13. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

Tivo's 30 second skip is my new bestest friend !!

Commercials..we don' need no stinking commercials!

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Since we got our Comcast DVR (Moto 6412) box we record most shows we want to watch and then skip over commercials during playback. Sometimes we'll start watching an hour-long show at about 20-25 minutes in and then catch up with real time by the end. Don't have to stay up later, don't have to watch the commercials either.

I've done a similar thing with football games. A 3-hour game can be watched in about half that time. Hitting the 30-sec skip (which I had to program in) immediately after a play ends usually gets you to just prior to the snap on the next play, unless it's a hurry up offense or there is a penalty flag. But I don't always want to skip - I watch replays on good plays or may want to hear something the announcers are saying. Normal network commercial breaks are 2 minutes long. So four skips and you're back, then FF through halftime.

No, generally I do not miss commercials, especially when they're so repetitive on some shows.

15. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I have a Panny E85, and have commercial skip (1-minute increments). No commercials for us!