I've joined the Tivolution. Now the questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, May 5, 2002.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I an a Tivo newbie, having just hooked it up today. Two (dumb) questions I have:

1. I just got a new JVC S-VHS VCR. I had trouble hooking up my system with the VCR. I could only get one cable channel, unless I used the VCR remote or the TV remote. The cable box wouldn't work at all. It seems like the cable was feeding right into the TV. I had the cable from the wall into the cable box. From the cable box into the VCR. From the VCR into the TV. Wouldn't work. Aargh!!! I finally gave up and hooked it up without the VCR. Now everything works fine. What am I doing wrong?

2. Can I watch DVDs while recording TV on Tivo?

Thanks!

2. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Are you using the Vcr to dumb your Tivo recordings to?

That makes a difference on how you want to hook it up.

Yes you can watch DVD's while Tivo records as long as they use two seperate inputs it should just be a matter of switching inputs. Jason

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

My advice run the cable to your VCR, Tivo, Cable box, and then TV. If your Cablebox has AV (Audio/Video coax) outs hook these to the Tivo's AV in. On the Tivo's AV out hook this up to your AVR's (Audio/Video Receiver) appropriate ins. On your AVR's AV outs to your VCR's and TV's AV ins. Last hook your VCR's AV outs to your AVR's appropriate ins. This will allow the most complex but greatest flexibility of recording options.

This will allow your VCR to record all channels between 2-125 and thru your AVR to record from your Tivo thru AV inputs. Your Tivo (assuming it's setup to control your cable box) can record whatever channels you have availible thru your cable service. Your TV can either watch what's directly on the cablebox or thru the AVR watch whatever is playing on the Tivo or VCR.

The reason I do not recommend hooking up the Cable box directly to the AVR is that the AVR must be turned on to record channels above 125 or pay-per-view channels under 126 if you so incline.