I've had it with Tape....time to buy a DVD Recorder...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, May 29, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I put my tape in, that was running perfectly days before, and now it states that the 'video heads' need cleaning and has a snowy image...go figure. Time to ditch the tape and invest in a DVD Recorder. I've had it with this inferior format. Can't have my important tapes behind damaged somehow, and so much as to be unrecoverable....
    Question though. What would a decent recorder, that does DVD RW and DVD R, run me? Can they be found under the $399 price range, at least for the copmuter? I have about $60's save up now in the old buisness account, $100 total by next month...
    Thanks...
    And if there are none under that price range...anyone know someone loking for a web host they can point in my direction? [​IMG]

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

I think the best price you'll probably find for a DVD-RW (computer version) is closer to 500-600.
    Or you can probably just buy a new computer for like 1200 that comes with a DVD-RW drive. (wink wink - if your possibly in the market for a new computer and needed that extra shove)
    edit: although this one is 400 at Bestbuy.com:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=511&scat=0

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Neil, I came to the same conclusion a few months ago & ditched tape entirely. Standalone DVD recorders are a bit above your price point, but they're far more convenient than PC DVD-burners & act like Tivo units (w/o the program guide).

I own the Panny DMR-E20, which has DVD-RAM (great for timeshifting & editing) & DVD-R (perfect for keeper recordings). I got mine for $815, but you can get one for as low as $585 now (try ecost.com).

The DMR-E30 is coming out in July, so that's another option.