What's new

I've had it with B&K. Hello Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX (1 Viewer)

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'll make this short and sweet. I'm on my third B&K 307 and am disconcerted about a clear upgrade path. Bootup problems, lockups and now my remote is changing sources on me for no apparent reasons... Even my salesman is now not reccommending B&K (and he loved them). The new Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX looks too sweet too pass on. It has all the latest and greatest and i want it. It'll look sweet too sitt'in in the rack with my PSB Stratus Silveri's & C6i center being high gloss black.
My guy should have them in stock in a couple days. I'm packing it in with B&K (and packing it up!) I am lucky too have a good relationship with an honest sales guy at Tweeter. Hard to find nowadays really.. I'll report back during the week about my transition. The specs on the Pioneer seem incredible!
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,21018,00.html
- Chip

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
You might need to drive the PSBs with a separate power amplifier depending on your room size. I had to do it with my PSB St. Goldi's. I am not sure if the Silvers are as power hungry.

Chip E

Screenwriter
The Silveri's are fine with the B&K's 150 wpc. I'd imagine the Pioneer's 160 wpc will do just fine. :)
- Chip

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Chip,

I believe that Pioneer's 160wpc is rated at 6 ohms. Not sure about 8 ohm power output. Just a little FYI.

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
New High Efficiency "Direct Energy" MOSFET Circuit

Stereo: 160 Watts per Channel (20 - 20 kHz @ 6 ohm, 0.09% THD)

Surround: 130W x 7 (20 Hz to 20kHz@ 8 ohm, 09% THD)

Surround: 160W x 7 (20 Hz to 20kHz@ 6 ohm, 09% THD)

Looks like it is 130w for 8ohm... 160w for 6ohm

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I've been disappointed with B&K in the past and nothing in their current lineup has changed my opinion. They arguable have one of the best flagship receivers built on sound separates principals and outstanding, personal customer service, but their inability to support true upgrades and bugs in their preamps has shaken my confidence in the quality of their products. I am also skeptical about the upcoming Pioneers. Their previous Elite line was promising, especially with the Burr Brown DACs, but again, I was disapointed with these receivers as preamps compared to their competition. I don't want to jump to any conclusions about the 49TX, but, IMHO, Pioneer has not jet established a reputation for making receivers that approach the performance of separates yet. Until someone makes a couple of generation of their "separates-like" products (Denon and the upcoming Onkyo/Integra), I'll probably stick with Denon or real separates.

Elbert

Chip E

Screenwriter
I really have nothing bad so too speak to say about the 307... it's just i unfortunately got a couple lemons. The sound is fantastic. It's just time to move on. I went to Tweeter in Delaware yesterday afternoon (my sales guy moved to a higher position there- assit. manager)
Turns out Pioneers site which lists the VSX-49TX as $4200.00 contradicts Tweeters computer listed price for the unit. They have it at $3500.00. Same as the B&K. ( i of course paid less than list.) It's going to be an even up trade with all the upgrades i wanted for the B&K and then some. It's a beautiful looking receiver. :)
- Chip

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, sorry to hear of your frustrations with the B&K AVR 307. I wasn't aware of this receiver being so "buggy". Hopefully you will be rid of this problem unit soon. One thing though. I wouldn't lock myself into the new Pioneer Elite receiver if I were you. It is an unproven model. That is not to say it will be a poor performer, but you have a lot of options. I know you have a connection at Tweeter, so have you considered the Denon AVR-5800? Also, since you may be shopping in Delaware, the home of tax-free shopping (:)), you may want to take a run over to Overture on Concord Pike (Rt. 202) in Wilmington. Overture is a very nice store, and they carry Marantz, Integra, Rotel, and Pioneer Elite as far as multi-channel receivers and separates are concerned. I bought my Totem Arro and Energy e:XL 25 speakers there and have been very pleased with the service there. They are very professional and knowledgable. Good luck.

J

John Morris

I recently spoke with a manager at a Tweeter store who told me he has recently seen a few B&K Reference 30s come back with a problem with their volume controls. It seems that the volume on these units would mysteriously, by themselves, start to gradually reduce over a period of hours. It wasn't a problem with the power supplies, instead it was a software problem. For some reason, these units just turned their own volumes down over time? Since downloading and viewing the B&K software setup program, it is no wonder that occasional software problems happen with these complex units. I can only imagine the difficulty that Outlaw is going through with trying to bring the 950 to market... expecially at their sub $900 price point.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Keith,

I won't really be locked in... if the Pioneer doesn't work out, i'll go another route. I am excited about getting it though. My first stereo gear i ever had was all Pioneer stuff. Matter of fact, it's all out in my garage and still rocks! I bought my first cd changer in 1985 (a Pioneer) and it is out there as well...still works great. I am locked into Tweeter though. (ain't so bad) I just called my guy over in Delaware as he was going to call his buyer today about when he would have the VSX-49TX. No word yet. Should be soon.

- Chip

Hubert

Second Unit
I hope you'll be happy with the Elite. For me, the B&K is the best receiver on the market in terms of build quality and sound. Never been a big fan of Elite receivers, as they have never stacked up against the likes of B&K, Denon, and Yamaha when it comes to sound and build. I hope this new Elite is a change for the better for you and for the Pioneer brand. But if I were you, I would listen before I buy. My cousin has an AVR-307, and never had a single bit of trouble. You probably were just unlucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks