I've got Saturday free in Chicago...advice?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ThomasC, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'll be in Chicago for the first time for a conference, and Saturday is completely free for me. Any advice on great restaurants and attractions? I'm not too big on museums, and I'd like to try a Chinese restaurant. I'm thinking about going to the symphony Saturday night. I'll be staying at the Essex Inn, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Sorry you're not into museums, the Art Institute is full of world-class goodies. I think they have the most Van Gogh's outside of Amsterdam.
    It's way too cold to wander around Millennium Park.
    Do you have an interest in architecture?

This tour starts at 10 AM

Historic Skyscrapers
    "Chicago is not only the birthplace of the skyscraper--it is also where most of the innovations in early skyscraper design and technology originated! Take a step back in time for an informative look at some of our world famous early skyscrapers including: Burnham and Root’s Rookery (1888) with its Moorish revival exterior and recently restored Frank Lloyd Wright interior; Adler and Sullivan’s Auditorium Building (1889) a masterpiece of engineering, design and acoustics; Holabird and Roche’s Marquette Building (1895) an outstanding example of the Chicago School of design; and Holabird and Root’s Chicago Board of Trade Building (1930), one of the city’s most glamorous Art Deco skyscrapers."

Meet: 10 minutes before departure at the ArchiCenterShop in the Santa Fe Building, 224 S. Michigan Avenue.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Saturday, in the park, I think it was the fourth of July..

[​IMG]

Jay

5. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

There is a bicycle tour that starts at the old water tower that seems like it would be interesting. I tried to go one it, but just missed the time

http://www.bobbysbikehike.com/

and if you love meat, you will love this resturant:
    http://www.fogodechao.com/
    Bring an appetite and a loan though

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Chicago, as with all major cities, has a plethora of things to do—it all depends on your interests.

Many museum haters like the Museum of Science and Industry. If you decide to go, get there early in order to avoid the line for the submarine.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm not entirely against museums, but if there are alternatives, I'd probably rather go to them. The Museum of Science and Industry is probably the first one I'd go to. Thanks for all of the advice so far!

8. Lew Crippen

I just checked out the program for the Chicago Symphony on Saturday night and it is very exciting. Daniel Barenboim is conducting and playing (along with pianist Radu Lapu) two Mozart piano concertos (No. 20 in D Minor and his Concerto for Two Pianos).

A new work by Isabel Mundry commissioned for the Symphony is also on the program (I don’t know anything about this composer, but its always nice to hear something for the first time).

9. Lew Crippen

I don’t know your budget, but Lao Sze Chuan Restaurant has very good Szechuan food at reasonable (for Chicago) prices.

It is helpful to have a knowledge of Chinese food at this place. And to not be put off by the typically brisk service.

10. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I know it's not baseball season, but you should swing by Wrigley Field. They're completely rebuilding the bleachers, and you should be able to get a good view of the inside.

If you are into Musicals, "Wicked" is still playing downtown. I saw it last fall and it was pretty incredible.

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I don't have a good knowledge, but I know what I like. I'd like a good hé fen (thick rice noodles). The kind I like the most are brown; thick beef rice noodles, perhaps? Any restaurant suggestions for that cuisine?

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Find a chicago pizza joint and have some before you leave [​IMG]

Lou Malnatti's or Gino's East would be a good start.

13. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I'm sure Michael Scott from "The Office" would recommend Sbarro's.

14. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    If you want to see Wicked, try for the raffle. They raffle off tickets fo the first two rows of the theater two hours before showtime. If you win, you can buy up to two tickets for $25 each. These tickets would normally cost about $85 on the weekends and the show is regularly sold out.

I'd also second the Museum of Science and Industry (my favorite Chicago museum) and any of the architectural tours (they have dozens of different ones...check at the ArchiCenter which is only a short walk from the Essex.)

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

We did the Field Museum the last time we were there. This was well worth the $$.

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

If I ever get to Chicago I would definatly check out the U-Boat.

The Tribune Tower sounds cool too (and Oscar Meyer's grave).

17. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

- if you liked Das Boot (if you haven't seen it, rent it before you go) the Museum of Science and Industry is a must...the coal mine kicks ass too (maybe rent October Sky before you do that one).

- if you want a great view of the city on the cheap, you can go to the bar at the top of the Hancock center, use the bathroom (awesome view from in there) and then leave.

- Get a good pizza (and bring a friend to help you eat it) - I like Giordano's, get there early to avoid the wait.

- take an architecture tour of the city by boat - http://www.chicagoline.com/archcruise/ is one operator. Great way to see the town. Just hope Dave Matthews tour bus isn't around [​IMG].

- Drive to Gary, IN - Home of Michael Jackson, and the place that will undoubtedly make you think wherever you are from isn't so bad [​IMG]. Might want to watch Robocop before you visit.

18. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

The Blue Man Group has a theater there. My bro says it is worth the money to go see. There is also Millenium Park. It is worth a brief stop if you are nearby.
    The museum of Science and industry is great.
    The tops of the Sears Tower and Hancock building are interesting, but not if you are on very limited time.

19. tim55

tim55 Extra

Bring a warm coat!!! It's going to be in the single digits this weekend.