What's new

I've Got Green Light To Purchase, HELP ! (1 Viewer)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
I just negotiated the sale of my 96 Mitsu 45" to a friend of mine commencing in about two weeks. I am looking to keep about the same picture heigth as my Mitsu bringing me close to about a 60" WS HD RPTV. I've heard a lot of good remarks on Toshiba, and Mitsu[Can't afford Pioneer Elite] But with so many models from each Manufacture I honestly don't know where to begin looking. Can you guys give me some advise on your HDTV purchase decision and specific information for now, and possibly point me in the right direction. Your valuable input will help shape my next big HT expenditure !
~ I will totally appreciate anyone taking their time to inform this HDTV Newbie down the right path.
thanx in advance !!!!
------------------

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mike, I'm a Mits man myself. You can read about their current models at www.mitsubishi-tv.com , and you can see some interesting dedicated discussion in the Mitsubishi forum of www.HomeTheaterSpot.com.
There were two big reasons I went with Mitsubishi. One was a friend's positive experience with an older set. It's still in service after almost 10 years. The other was the Mitsubishi "Promise" to provide an upgrade path for any late-breaking developments in connectivity and copy protection. If a firewire interface becomes required in the future, you'll be able to buy one for your set, rather than buy a new set.
Leave some room in your purchase for a set-top box if you want to receive broadcast HDTV signals. A lot of people are going for the satellite dish/HD receiver combo. I do Dish Network; others here do DirecTV.
Those are the high points...if you have other questions, just ask!
- Steve

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I know you say you can't afford the Elite, but I must say, do everything in your power to step up to the Elite. Even if it means waiting a little longer. Six months ago, I too, was in your position. I was looking at Mits and Toshiba and deciding which to go with (for the record, the Mitsubishi was the front runner). Then I saw the Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD. Nothing else mattered after that. I waited a little bit more before I took the plunge and have not looked back. I am SO glad I spent the extra money. I can understand if you really can't afford it, I just want you to be aware of what you'd be missing out on. I paid $6,600 for mine shipped and I've heard of others on this forum getting it for as low as $6,300. They also have two smaller sizes that would obviously be less.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
While I'm sure the Toshiba is a fine TV, (can't speak for the Mits since no Canadain retailers carry it), I'm always baffled when people try to steer others towards the more expensive Pioneer Elite, and bypass the Pioneer SD-532-HD5. I've heard the argument that it's line doubler can't match the Elite's, but having just bought the 532, I can say that every time I watch a DVD (no HD yet) I'm constantly amazed at the quality. Toy Story 2 actaully looks likes it's in 3-D. I looked for a long time trying to pick a 16 x 9 monitor, and while the Toshibas had a vaery nice picture, they didn't impress me as much as the 532. They are a little more then the Toshibas, but for my money, it had the best picture.

Bill_M

Agent
It will not matter which HD set you buy (some maybe better than others) it will blow away NTSC and DVD. You can buy the more expensive sets if you can afford it but if not, don't sweat it.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I can tell you what I think.
I would not buy an HD set today if it did not have a written promise for future compatibility.
I hate to say it, but the world of HDTV is getting scary. At least for those of us that have them and don't have the cash to buy another $4000.00 TV in the next few years. There are many copy protection schemes out there that may just pass Congress. I pray that they do not, but one never knows when considering the lobbying power behind Hollywood. Of course that discussion is for another thread.
If these new standards are passed, many HD sets will be rendered obsolete. I am by no means an alarmist. I beleive that everything will pan out in the next few years in the best interest of the consumer (i.e. no copy protection).
I bought the Mits. for its quality and future support if I need it. I could not slap down $6000 without that safety net. Other manufactures may have a similar policy, but I have never heard of one.
C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks