What's new

I've got a question about a few DVD glitches I have seen (1 Viewer)

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
I just got Simpson¡¯s season 3 and in the episode "Flaming Homer" about 15 min through it froze for about 3 seconds. I tried that same part over about 4 times and it never happened again. And in the episode "Bart the Lover", towards the end it got pixilated in the bottom half of the screen for a second. I couldn't get it to happen again. These little things have happened on 2 other DVDs that I can think off the top of my head. A quick freeze on Fast and Furious. And another one on The Two Towers. I've never got any 4 of these to occur again. So my question is, is it the disks or my player? Or could it be that some dust got in and caused those brief glitches.

greg_t

Screenwriter
My guess is that your player might be starting to have some issues. I wouldn't think that it's the discs since you can't reproduce it each time, and you've seen issues on multiple discs. You might try one of those laser cleaners and see if it helps any.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sean,

Check that Simpson's disc very carefully for scratches or smudges on the playing surface--#1 cause of glitches.

On the other 2, if it happens in the same place every time and is only a very brief pause it's probably the layer change. I can have a number of discs on which the layer change is a bit slower than average. Also usually if I reverse thru the layer change and go thru it again in normal play mode it almost always happens quicker the second time around.

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I know about layer changes and its not that. The disks look perfect since they are brand new. It might be the player although it's only a year old. The main thing is, is that I can't get the glitches to occur again so I don't think I should return the DVD.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Which player do you have? Just because somethings only a year old doesn't mean it won't have problems. Sometimes certain dvd's are just glitchy with certain players. I have one of the now OOP copies of National Lampoons Animal house dvd that lock's up on my RCA dvd player on the same chapter everytime, but it doesn't have problems with any of my other 200+ dvd's. The same dvd plays flawlessly on my Panasonic RP91. So who really knows.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Try cleaning the disc, even if it looks immaculate. That often works for me when this crops up. I suspect that there may be invisible chemical residue from the manufacturing process on the disc that comes off easily with a cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks