What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey! Stan's got a new dog!

:laugh:

Knew it! :blink:

So sorry to hear about your neighbor, Stan. It's funny how these things tend to work out. It seems like whenever somebody takes in a pet to help someone else out, there's always a good chance that the "helper" might end up with that pet for a lot longer than they thought. At least everyone is coexisting peacefully.

It looks like some birds actually like their canine counterparts:

Bird+Feeds+Dog+Pasta.gif

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Knew it! :blink:

So sorry to hear about your neighbor, Stan. It's funny how these things tend to work out. It seems like whenever somebody takes in a pet to help someone else out, there's always a good chance that the "helper" might end up with that pet for a lot longer than they thought. At least everyone is coexisting peacefully.

It looks like some birds actually like their canine counterparts:

Bird+Feeds+Dog+Pasta.gif

I wish my birds were like that. They freaked out when I bought a new toy last week. Hid in the corner of the cage, terrified to move. Finally gave up and I took it out. Life returned to normal. I almost want to set the cage outside and let them go, but I know that would be a death sentence in the Pacific NW, so I keep them warm and comfy.

Just glad they're all related. One male and three sisters. Some unwritten bird rule so they don't breed. I'd have to introduce a new male into the situation, which is not going to happen. I could sell the babies to a local pet store for $4, maybe become a Trump billionaire, but I'll pass :laugh:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well we're clipping nails tonight. My black lab hates it, especially since she's got black nails, so it's tough to get it right.

The pit-bull has always had long nails, always bugged me. But since I'm running the show for a while, he's getting a trim. Thankfully he's kind of brindle color and his nails are clear, much easier.

If he freaks out and eats my face, it's been nice being on HTF.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If he freaks out and eats my face, it's been nice being on HTF.

Stan: Trimming dog toenails can be tough. While you can do it yourself or pay your vet top dollar to do it, I have found a couple of places in my area where I can bring our dogs for baths and they've got personnel who trim their nails for a relatively cheap fee. They are called Shampoodle. They charge just $7 per dog for a nailcutting. Well worth avoiding the hassle. The other upside is that you take your dog to these places, they've got large walk-in raised tubs for you to bathe the dogs. They've got plenty of shampoo, conditioner (hypoallergenic even!), dry towels and even big mounted canister dryers. You get to leave all the hair and mess behind and walk out with a clean, dry dog. :thumbsup:

Shampoodle is a local chain but maybe you've got something similar near you.

Here are Ike and Kelly on a recent visit (after their baths but before getting completely dried off):

full

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Stan: Trimming dog toenails can be tough. While you can do it yourself or pay your vet top dollar to do it, I have found a couple of places in my area where I can bring our dogs for baths and they've got personnel who trim their nails for a relatively cheap fee. They are called Shampoodle. They charge just $7 per dog for a nailcutting. Well worth avoiding the hassle. The other upside is that you take your dog to these places, they've got large walk-in raised tubs for you to bathe the dogs. They've got plenty of shampoo, conditioner (hypoallergenic even!), dry towels and even big mounted canister dryers. You get to leave all the hair and mess behind and walk out with a clean, dry dog. :thumbsup:

Shampoodle is a local chain but maybe you've got something similar near you.

Here are Ike and Kelly on a recent visit (after their baths but before getting completely dried off):

full
When I first started doing my black labs nails, she hated it. I'd literally have to sneak up on her when she was sleeping and I'd get one or two, it seriously was a week long project.

Took her to a place similar to Shampoodle. She just stood there, happy and enjoying everything. Took maybe 30 seconds, just clip, clip, clip and she was done. I gave her the evil eye stare. I was disgusted with her.

Now it's a breeze, mainly because of bribery. She knows she'll get a few treats if she behaves.

Even giving her a bath, major PITA the first few years. Now she jumps in the tub, actually wanting a bath. She also loves my vacuum. No need to brush her, I vacuum her.

The pit-bull wants to play so badly, but she is now little Miss Hoity-Toity Queen of the Universe and can't be bothered. I guess they were working out who would be the alpha dog in the house, obviously my lab, but quite the attitude.

Totally psycho dog I will never understand. :cool:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well a week now and haven't heard a word from the relatives of the woman who passed away about the pit-bull.

I'm kind of at a loss, but he's going to have to go in the next two weeks or so. Gets along great with my dog, but only because I'm supervising. I can't leave them alone. If I go out to run errands, my dog stays inside, pit-bull in the back yard. I think they're still working out who's boss. There is the occasional growl, some very vicious snarling if they approach each others' food bowl, and I've caught them nipping at each others' neck, definitely not playing.

Have a friend who will be coming by to take care of my animals when I go into hospital Nov. 3, so he's got to be gone by then. Don't want to take him to a shelter because I don't think he'd come out alive. Pits don't have good reputations so doubt he'd be adopted. She has a friend who is looking for a dog like him, so a possible solution, but the clock is ticking.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Have you reached out to them? They may not know where the dog is, or simply not thinking about it. I would think a simple "he can stay with me for another couple weeks, but please let me know what your plans are as soon as you know."

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Have you reached out to them? They may not know where the dog is, or simply not thinking about it. I would think a simple "he can stay with me for another couple weeks, but please let me know what your plans are as soon as you know."

I've called and left voice mails, but no response. Nobody is at the house. It's going to have to be resolved in the next few weeks. Really bad timing, but I go in for surgery, and he's got to find a new home by then. I'm going to give it about two more weeks then I'll have to take him to a shelter.

No problem taking care of him, he's 100% housebroken, but I can't trust him to be alone with my dog. Nothing violent yet, but there is a little bit of tension, just below the surface. I have to separate them when I feed them and if I leave the house, they get treats, one to the left, the other to the right so they don't fight and then he goes outside, my dog stays inside.The pit plays with one of my dog's toys and she barks and growls, so I've got to supervise them.

Yet earlier today they were sleeping side by side. Strange.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
That's really sad that no one wants the dog, or is making any attempt to unburden you. On the other hand, the owner should have made arrangements.

I would suggest checking for pit rescues in the area. They would gladly take him and find him a new home.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Called the local Humane Society. Didn't even occur to me until you mentioned rescues. Waiting for a call-back from them.

The owner was in the hospital for pneumonia, wasn't really something she could have planned for, and certainly wasn't expected to pass away. Terrible timing, but I go into the hospital in three weeks for spinal surgery. A friend will be taking care of my black lab, but she can't handle two large dogs, so sometime in the next few weeks I've got to find a solution. He's really sweet so I don't want him euthanized. Maybe I'll fork over the $ and put him in a kennel while I recover then just keep him.

He was about 20 lbs. overweight, but I've been working on that and he's already improving. It's so cute taking him out, he loves to run around my yard and play.Then we have my black lab, who just finds a spot in the sun and lays there like a lump :D

I'll toss toys out and he runs to catch them and bring them back to me. My lab, a supposed "retriever", will run after the toy, pick it up and drop it, so much for her retrieving ability.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good for you, Stan. 20 pounds on a pit bull is very detrimental to that dog's health. As we all know for us humans, it's all about diet and exercise. The same holds true for dogs.

Pit bulls can present some issues in terms of adoptions (they've got some serious "pr" issues!). There are many fine rescue groups dedicated almost solely for the breed. They may be better able to secure a successful adoption.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The friend who will be taking care of my lab when I'm in hospital happens to have a friend who just might take the pit bull. I'm canceling my Humane Society appointment, and even if this doesn't work out she recommended a place called PetFinders, which is a no-kill shelter, they guarantee to find a home for him. The Humane Society requested a "donation" of $100-$200. I know they have a lot of volunteer workers, land, buildings, electricity, food, etc., but that seemed a little extreme.

Like Mike mentioned, major "pr" problem with this breed, but this guy is the complete opposite, he's more cuddly and friendly than my lab, but people judge a lot just by looks and he's a big, muscular scary pit bull.

The twit, druggie, stoner grandson was supposed to come by last night, bring some food and at least visit with the dog. I didn't even stay awake waiting for him, somehow knew he wouldn't follow through, and I was correct. His son goes to the same grade school I did, so he can't live more than ten minutes away, but just to much of a bother.

Off topic, but the school, with some of my tax dollars, went through a mega-million $ remodel. I'd love to see it, but they'd probably think I was some perv, walking through the school trying to kidnap a little kid. He said since his son goes there, he could take me on a tour, but even that I find hard to imagine. The guy is like a walking joint, just reeks of pot, which is oddly not illegal in Washington anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I understand about the dog. A sweetheart...but people make their impressions based on the visual. It's just human nature. We judge books by their covers all the time.

PetFinders is a great organization.

One of the things that always surprised me about adopting pets is the cost. You figure you're doing everyone a favor adopting a dog, cat, whatever (so why do I actually have to "pay" for this animal?)...but there is an awful lot of expense that goes into it for the rescue groups/shelters in terms of health care costs, food, etc. We now make regular donations to our preferred rescue group in order to help them out. Plus, it's always a good thing to keep the inter-personal relationships alive.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mentioned in an earlier post I was going to clip his nails. My dog was fine, but with the pit, not a chance.

Just going near him with the clippers and it was not going to work, never trying that again. He'll go to a vet, maybe be sedated, but it won't be me doing it.

Two weeks and this will come to an end. PetFinders will take him, or who knows, I may even end up keeping him. But he's got to have a temporary home for a few weeks after my surgery.

His owner's relatives are typical, low life trailer trash. Suddenly all of them, who have never been around for years, come crawling out of the woodwork. Her house, furniture, SUV, bank accounts, etc. are up for grabs. The dog of course, nobody gives a rat's ass. People can be so disgusting.

The only good thing is apparently she had a lot of debts so most of her assets will be claimed and not go to these awful, shallow people.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well the pit bull saga may have ended. He looks like a twin to another pit bull I kept for a friend a few years ago, just a week here and there if she was out of town.

She came by today, fell in love with the dog and he just adored her. The only issue is she has a miniature horse. Not the tiny little knee high ones, but about waist high, so it had to work out that they got along. They fell in love immediately. Each one just apparently needed a friend to play with and be around. Lots of sniffing going on, pit licked the horses nose, horse licked the pit's ears, they ran around, one chasing the other, just had a lot of fun. A full fenced acre to play in, so they'll both get a lot of exercise.

Only about ten hours so far, but things are working out well, so he may have found a new home.

Did find a shelter with a 95% placement rate, but it's that 5% I worry about. He's not that usual pit bull violent type people expect, he was raised well, very friendly, submissive and the woman who took him began training him just walking to her car and he followed instructions. Something I've tried for years with my lab, hopeless, He's protective and barks like any dog when people he doesn't know are out, but I've got my fingers crossed he's found a good home.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wanna see pix of the pit bull and the miniature horse!!!

Good news, Stan! Did you ever hear from the neighbor's family? I hope they don't come knocking in a few days wanting the dog back...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I wanna see pix of the pit bull and the miniature horse!!!

Good news, Stan! Did you ever hear from the neighbor's family? I hope they don't come knocking in a few days wanting the dog back...
They are history. Told them I needed to do something with the dog, they didn't care at all. I said he might even be euthanized, "just go ahead, he's yours now".

If somebody comes by looking for him (very doubtful), he's gone. I'm not saying anything. Just the evil eye, go away, don't bother me. He was abandoned and I did the best I could.

He's found a new home and will live out the rest of his life with a woman who really cares. It's good for him and good for her, she needed a dog after hers passed away a few years ago.

I'll have to try and get pics of the dog and the horse :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks