I've got a medical (artery) questions for any doctors please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

My mom, who sometimes has trouble understanding arcane english terms, went to the doctor today and had an ultrasound performed on her stomach. The technician told her afterwards that she had something related to an artery that was possibly causing her stomach to grow mildly larger (nothing serious I don't think). My mom didn't completely understand what the term the technician used was and the technician refused to write it down saying that only a doctor could give that kind of information (and the doctor would be in touch next week).

The term sounded kind of like "high boy" or "five boy" or something to that effect. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

2. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Hi Don,

The only thing I know of that sounds anything like her pronunciations is a hiatal hernia. This is a herniation of a portion of the stomach into the esophagus. It is found most commonly in people ages 40-70, and women outnumber men by a 4:1 margin.

However, I doubt that this would make her stomach 'larger', and you didn't mention whether she is experiencing reflux (regurgitation) or heartburn, which are hallmarks of hiatal hernia. Other symptoms include feelings of a lump in the throat or of food stopping, difficulty swallowing, and bleeding.

Let us know what's happening.

(By the way, I'm an RN.)

Jon

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestion Jon. However, my mom is pretty sure it wasn't a hernia. She doesn't have any of the symptoms you mentioned so I guess we'll just have to wait until after the weekend for the doctor to call. Thanks again!

4. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

Could she mean "Fibroid". This is a benign smooth muscle tumor. The most common fibroids are those of the uterus, but they can occur in any smooth muscle (muscle of internal organs). They are harmless, unless they take up too much space causing discomfort. By the way, I am a 3rd year med student.
    Greg

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Greg,

That's it! Thanks!