What's new

I've got a Harman Kardon 525 with 5.1 Aperion speakers w/12" sub and I'm still lost (1 Viewer)

DougPr

Auditioning
I just got a H/K 525 receiver to hook into my Aperion 5.1 speaker set. But after doing that, the sound left much to be desired. Also with the 12" sub, it doesn't sound very loud with explosions, but it sounds super load with the base from music in a movie (such as all the rap music in The Fast and the Furious in DTS). And music from normal CD's seems to be missing the high base sound that helps with the "thump".

What sort of things can I do to help setup my H/K receiver to sound better with these speakers? What should I set the crossover frequency for on the sub and speakers in the H/K setup?

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
dd tracks compared to dts tracks will be different, in the "bass" department, i beleive the dts tracks have their lfe channels bumped up a few notches higher then dd tracks. that would probably explain the increased bass response in your dts fast and furious comparison.

i would set your speakers to "small" on your receiver.. or the put the crossover as high as possible, like 120 or something, that should redirect the hgiher bass frequencies into the sub woofer. not only will if redirect the hgiher frequencies, itll will also allow the seperate powered amp in the sub to handle the low frequencies, allowing for more power in the receiver to be redirected into the other 5 channels. low frequencies take up a lotta juice. this may also help increase overall volume levels in the 5 other channels.(if youre using a powered sub)

with all that done, get your self a radio shack analog spl meter and sound and visions calibration dvd and calibrate all the the speakers and double check crossovers. once you have all the speakers working together calibrated, the difference should be night and day. i think the hk has something similar such as ez set feature, but i dont know how accurate it is since i dont own an hk, id still you an spl meter to double check just in case.

DougPr

Auditioning
Actually I wasn't talking about the difference between DD and DTS. I mean on a DTS track, an explosion will have soft base, then a song will start and the base in the song is groundshakingly loud.

The Ezset feature didn't seem to work properly. It started pumping up the level of every channel to max level.

I'll have to get one of those meters.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
EZ set didn't do much for me either.

Took out the tripod, and calibrated using the RadioShack Analog SPL meter. Worked like a charm....

Now I will have to try setting the Crossover higher like Myo K said when I get home later tonight....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks