I've got $2k for 5 bookshelf speakers. Whats your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Risley, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Alright, the new Sony STRDA5000ES receiver is on the way and it's time to upgrade the speaks. I have a dedicated room that is 18' x 12' with an 8' ceiling. I want to go with 5 or 6 identical monitor style speakers, tired of dealing with floorstanders and I have 2 Velodyne subs for the bottom end.
    Let me know what you like.

Thanks
    Greg

2. John S

John S Producer

For Sony?? I'd go with Klipsch or something rather forward and bright.

To say Sony AVR's are laid back is a way understatement.

3. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

What do you mean by way laid back on the Sony? Everything I own is Sony and plan to upgrade my AVR with a higher end Sony but am scared because of all I have heard on here about them. I was doing it more for comaptibility and looks more than anything plus I have the 18 in 1 sony remote.Shed some light for me. I plan to spen about 1k.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Swan's Divas from www.theaudioinsider.com are also a great choice. You could get 6 2.1s in rosewood for about $1500 or 6 in Black Cherry for around $1200.

W/ the price difference (and possibly some revenue from selling your velo's) you could pick up one or two SVSs. If you're completely satisfied with your Velos then you could just come in way under budget and be really happy [​IMG]

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Curtis has a fine suggestion, to which I would add the Rocket 250s, six of which would be enough for AV123 to give a package discount from the listed $2,100 price.

They are rear ported, so you do need a bit of room behind the speakers.

7. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Are you going to need a matched center?

Anyway, 5 NHT SB-2's would run, max., $2,000.

Worth a thought.

NHT SB-2

8. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

You can get SB-2's for $400 a pair.

9. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

To go along with all the great recommedations given so far another popular choice would be the Paradigm Studio 20s.

10. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I was just going to say Paradigm Studio 20's. I have some and they sound spectacular. For the center, I suggest a CC-470 to match. You should be able to get everything for JUST under $2000.

11. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Thanks for the great ideas. I had not seen the rockets before, they very simalar to the divas, which is to say very nice. I will try to get out this weekend and give the ones available locally. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks
    Greg

12. Vital

Vital Extra

I would go with Klipsch RB-75. They have the front ports and 8" woofers. I don't think the Rockets can touch these.

13. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

Good luck checking out the rockets... they'd be a great match for the sony. I'm sure you know it, but it's not an AVR. It's a class D amp... much different technology. I had the old version and I can assure you the highs aren't "laid back" by any stretch of the imagination. The micro detail was just astounding, as was bass control. I only got rid of mine because it sounded sterile and lifeless, but I think the 500ES should be much improved in that area.

If it's not, I think a somewhat darker speaker, like the Rockets, would be better because as it would ease the slightly harsh, clinical character of the amp (I've got Onix Ref 1s, and they sounded a bit harsh with the 50ES, so I'd suggest you steer clear of similar speakers for it).

-Gary

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I also recommend you give Paradigms an audition. If the Studio models are too much, look at the Paradigm Monitor 3 or 5. If you are even considering a floorstanding speaker, I would also recommend the Monitor 7.

15. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Greg, check your email[​IMG] I'll be selling some 40's etc.. really soon.