I've given up on the Sony CX-875P....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Webb, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

Well, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. I even went out and bought a cruddy Philips DVD player from Wal-Mart, just so I could return it when the CX-875 300 disc changer comes out. But once again, it's release date has been pushed back according to crutchfield, this time to January, 03. I've decided I'm just going to get the RP-82 from Panasonic and say forget the Sony, maybe I'll get it later. ANYWAYS, anyone heard what's taking it so long? HAS to be technical problems, no one in their right mind would postpone a release date to after christmas if it was anything otherwise?

2. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

What are you talking about? This unit has been shipping for some time now. Try calling tweeter. That's where I purchased mine over 1 month ago.

-Rob.

3. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Rob, are you sure you have the 875 which is progressive scan or do you have the older 870 which is not progressive scan. I have also been wating to see the New Sony out & have not seen it anywhere yet.

4. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Yes it's the 875P with progressive scan. I too was waiting on one-call / crutchfield for a couple weeks, then heard that tweeter had them in stock. I drove 50 miles to pick it up back in early October. The sales rep said each of their stores received about 3 units.

Output is not reference quality like my 9000ES, but works well as a library with above average quality. excellent color, somewhat noisy video, but no chroma bug yet. fast layer changes, OSD and chapter searches.

-Rob.

5. Michael Webb

Well Rob, that's great, I'd say your the first to actually fill me in. I've been waitng on the 875P for like 2 months, thought if Crutchfield didn't have it, no one would. Please tell us(me) how you like it, had any of the problem they talk about with the 870, ie loading your last played DVD constantly. How's the picture? I know you said not reference quality, but I felt you were hurrying...I have a 53" Panny widescreen HDTV, think I'd be happy with the Sony, or just get for the RP82(or CP72). I have a crappy Philips Wal-Mart prog-scan DVD waiting to get taken back when I get one I really want, and actually the pictures not bad. After one month, would you recommend the Sony to someone? Thanks.

6. Michael Webb

Well, I talked to several dealers, and they all said the same thing. Sony shipped out a small number of them about a month ago, probably how robsocal got one. Anyways, either some big company bought them all up, OR, what they seem to think is somethings wrong with them, they didn't do quite exactly what Sony wanted or something. So all the company's that say 3 weeks back order, etc, have no idea, for all they know, they won't get them EVER! I'm not going to wait, every company on a yahoo search that said they had them, doesn't, and only a few said honestly, were not sure if we are ever going to get them again, I wouldn't hold your breath.

7. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

I don't have any serious problems with mine. It's been running for roughly 6 hours per day for the last month. This is my third DVD player. First was Pioneer 414, second Sony DVP9000ES, then the 875P.

On the 875P, DVD's that have a good-to-great transfer such as Monsters Inc. look excellent. Colors are in the typical sony fashion with a slight push on the red followed by blue, I like it. Otherwise if the DVD is not mastered well the 875P will show it. There are several menu options to clean it up and they do help, but it's not like with the 9000ES where you have to work hard to improve on the default picture quality. I tried but haven't found any sign of a chroma issue. Also, I don't see any combing like on the 9000ES. Fleshtones don't look nearly as clean as on the 9000ES though.

For most discs, I switch the unit into Cinima-2 mode and enable the noise reduction to level 2 to get the best picture.

Yes, upon turning on the unit it usually plays the disc that was playing when it was shutdown. Even if you pressed stop prior to shutdown. Not a big deal. Just press stop and then the guide button to select a disc. Oddly sometimes it doesn't autostart. Can't seem to find a golden rule for this though.

On the Digital Audio side: The 875P can only output 48KHz. No 96K option. Kind-of a bummer.

They seem to have put in a much faster processor than in the 9000ES. The OSD is much faster and so are the search functions and FF. On the 9000ES sometimes I push the button to bring up the display, and the pause is so long I push it again, only to be brought to the second page. I don't have this problem on the 875P.

The "navigator". Well it's a great thought, but the execution could have been a little better. After you load up all your discs you run the auto program mode where it tries to read the title & splash page then store them in memory to be navigated through from 1 -300. Problem is that out of the 65 discs I put in, only about 6 had a splash page and/or title. So I had to manually go through them and select the picture. This took about 5 minutes per disc. After a month, I still haven't had the time to connect a keyboard and title each picture.

My TV is a Toshiba 65H80 who's built-in line doubler is a bit dated and doesn't do 3/2. The progressive output of the 875P looks much better than the Toshiba's via a S-Video, but I haven't exhaustively compared them.

So my opinion is that this is a great unit for 90% of the viewing audience out there. If you're looking for something to show-off your 65 inch display & DTS-ES look elsewhere. Otherwise if you need to keep your little ones occupied and don't want them tossing discs around the house & can live with less than reference quality, this is the perfect solution. I'm keeping mine.

Since mine works well, I don't think they are having any serious issues that would hold up production. Probably just can't meet World Wide demand. This unit is made in Japan.

8. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Rob, thanks for the insight on your player. I had been planning on getting this one by the first of the year but had been kinda leery on its performance due to all the bad things I have seen about the previous 300 disk model that Sony produced. I just hope that the ones that get released in Jan are made in Japan also.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

This is interesting. I wasn't aware that any dealers had the 'CX875P. It's been awhile since I ventured into a Tweeter store. It's too bad Sony dropped the copper chassis, which was offered with the 'CX870D. Oh well.

10. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Well you guys had me scarred for a second. Since there's no model # printed on the front, I had to go out to the garage and double-check the box. It's The DVP-CX875P all right. Purchased on 10/15.

Rob.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, good. It would have been pretty amusing if you had thought all this time that you watching DVDs in progressive-scan while you were actually using an interlaced player. That would clearly explain why the video output was not "reference-quality like the 'S9000ES." [​IMG]

12. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Actually, since my tv does internal upgrade to progressive it would not be so obvious when using the component connection.

I just watched toy-story II last night and I must say that the video was flawless on the 875P.

I've got an RP82 on the way; so if my wife doesn't kill me, I'll let you know how the three compare subjectively.

Rob.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, ah, very cool. I'd be curious to hear how the 'CX875P compares to the 'RP82 given the reputation of the latter player (and Panasonic models in general) for showing excellent video quality.

14. Michael Webb

Okay after much searching, through comparison shopping programs on the net, I've found several places that have the CX875P, and I just purchased it online from pricesrite.com after calling their customer service to verify it was in stock, PLUS, they have a stock verifier on their webpage. It's 398.99+I got ripped off for 24.00 for UPS Ground, but oh well $398 a steal. I fly for UPS, I know what the evil ground costs, but I guess I can't gripe. ANYWAYS, anyone have any experience with pricesrite, or any of the other online warehouses, haven't purchased through them before, and needless to say, I'm going to be checking my order out every day till it's shipped, so I don't get billed on my CC then they tell me it's not in stock.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, that is one online dealer I haven't heard of. I'm sure they are not an authorized Sony dealer. That doesn't mean they aren't legit, though.

Crutchfield probably hasn't gotten them in because they placed a very large order. Just a guess.