I've found true love!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lev-S, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

After having to deal with the sketchy OAR support at Block-Buster and Jumbo Video (Canadian store), I discovered a nice little surprise just near my school. There is this little local run video store (you know, the ones with the area name in the title) that I occasionally rented VHS from when I was too young to drive. I hadn't been inside for a while so after school one day, I took a trip over to rent "The Hunted". I entered the modest store and immediately noticed the overhead TVs playing "2 Fast 2 Furious" in widescreen!!![​IMG] I grinned and proceeded to the new release wall to look for my movie. I checked the border on the cover of "The Hunted" case that I picked up to check for the wonderful "Normal Person" and "Colored Person" er- "Full Screen" and "Widescreen". It was Widescreen so I sighed and started to browse the other titles. There seemed to be only Widescreen "Hunted" and I started to hum to myself in pleasure. Then I spotted "The Two Towers". Figuring that some would be Wide and others would be Full, I nearly shat myself in realization that they were all Widescreen! Then I saw "Harry Potter" and "Scooby Doo": ALL FREAKING WIDESCREEN ONLY WITH NOT A PAN AND SCAM IN SIGHT!!!!!!! I then proceeded to the checkout to pay for my rental and praise the clerk behind the counter. He smiled awkwardly as if this widescreen appreciation was something foreign to him and charged me the slightly-higher-than-BB, but definitely reasonable price. To think, it wasn't the empty-headed supermodel, it was the smart girl next door!

PS - The whole "Normal Person" and "Colored Person" is just an exagerration and NOT A RACIST SHOT TOWARDS ANYBODY. It is simply meant to analogize the way I feel when I purchase widescreen. The fact that DVDs are obnoxiously and innacurately labelled encompasses the blind prejudice that studios seem to be excercising: Full Screen means that it fills you screen! Widescreen is for widescreen TVs ONLY because it has bars! Ever see a VHS movie labelled "Full Screen"? Of course not, and therefore DVDs should not be labelled either, simply offering OAR only. Wow am I exhausted...

PPS - We're all colored - it's a freakin' rainbow afterall!

2. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

quick follow-up -> back in '99, i bought a dvd, got black bars, found out the difference, loved it and got used to it because I HAD TOO. Studios were on too something exciting! Then all of a sudden, dual releases! Seems to me like the same studios that were so set on OAR only (mostly) before are now changing their minds and saying "you know what, Full Screen is still cool!". Shouldn't have this been the other way around? What is really scary is what would have happened if i had bought a DVD player TODAY and not 3 years ago? Would I have ever learned about the difference? Would I ever find this forum? WOULD I BE A J6P????[​IMG]