What's new

I've fallen in love with a pit bull (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It's amazing to me that after 3.5 months you still don't have the dog and that this thread is still going.
There were some things to deal with first to make sure that Red would be able to be successfully integrated into my home.

Though I am now confident that he would be and I am ready to make that final commitment (the adoption application is completed and signed), 11th hour politics has reared its ugly head and we are now faced with the greatest obstacle of all--bureaucratic stupidity.

I'm not able to go into detail at the moment, but suffice it to say, I'm going to fight with everything at my disposal to get Red home with me.

All I can tell you right now is that this matter is far more complicated than any of you know.

As this has suddenly become something of a private matter, I am going to request this thread be closed. When I am able to speak further on the subject, I will update you all again.

Thank you to those who have expressed support.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I can now give you all an update on Red.

Two days after I filed my application for adoption, I found out that Red was up against a committee which would make a recommendation as to whether Red would be adopted out or be put down.

I can't share all the details, unfortunately, but I assume you can appreciate now why I had the thread closed.

While Red does not exhibit aggression towards people, he does towards other dogs and got lumped into the mix of "potentially dangerous dogs".

For the past six weeks, I and others (whom I am indebted to more than I can ever say) have been fighting for Red's life.

I am happy to report that about 3 hours ago, I got the BIG call from the municipality. After much hoopla, including further assessments of Red AND myself by one of the top trainer/behaviorists in my area (all caught on video) interviews, meetings, etc, etc, etc......

I am thrilled to report that they have decided to let me adopt Red!!!!!

Now there is still a little paperwork to do, including signing the adoption waiver, to which several additional clauses have been added, and getting written consent from my landlord. But hopefully today was the last time I had to turn him back over to the shelter after spending a day together. I am hoping to have him home with me within a week or so.

I am so ecstatic, I can't even tell you. I'm laughing, I'm crying, I'm so happy I could pop. :)

I am very fortunate to have the free assistance of the aforementioned trainer to help Red work through his dog aggression and to make him more manageable. He expects to be working with me for at least the next year. I'm going to really enjoy this process of watching my boy grow and learn.

Either way, though, I love Red so much despite his few shortcomings. Nobody's perfect.

__________________________________________________ _

Unfortunately things didn't turn out well for all the dogs and I would like to take a moment to remember the 2 other dogs that faced the committee and could not be given the same chance Red got--Jessie and Kia. :frowning:

To them I promise that Red and I will make the most of the chance we've been given and that Red will be loved, cared for and kept safe for the remainder of his life.
__________________________________________________ __

Please remember that taking on an animal companion is not something to be taken lightly. If you are not prepared to be as committed to them as you would be to a child, DON'T GET ONE!

And if you are prepared to make the committment, please think about adoption. There's lots of lovable cats and dogs and all kinds of other animals down at your local shelter that deserve a chance.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Rain, way to go! I was saddened to hear of the other two dog that did not make it, but am very glad you and Red are afamily. They are lovable dogs...

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Anyone know what is up with Rain?

He seems to have vanished and I checked the link to his dvd collection and it seems all of his Criterions (including Children of Paradise!) as well as bunch of other discs are no longer in his collection.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'm not 100%, but I seem to recall some financial issues that led him to sell some of his collection.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You can suggest it, but since my recollections are all based on public HTF postings made by Rain himself, I don't see a problem.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
BTW...Rain is fine, just busy right now.
Which reminds me, I need to go match up a pile of socks. ;)

It sounds like you have a lot of good advice. My friends have a red nosed pit bull named Camelot. Cammy is a sweet, loving dog. She is stubborn and will "try" people. And like the dog you want to adopt, she has slight behavioral problems. But pit bulls, with training and common sense are TERRIFIC pets. Good luck.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Congrats Rain, once you go with a Pit Bull there is no other breed. You seem like a perfect candiate to be a Pit Bull owner.

My first Pit was Willy , a true APBT ..I got him when I was 22 , I am now 33 going on 34. He is still kicking and I just added another one about 3 months ago...it was alot of work but they are getting along very well and now I have a back-up dog in case something happens to Willy.

I only have one piece of advice, spend all your spare time with your dog.

As far as everything else goes , nothing beats hands on experience..maybe read a few books if anything.
In a few years you'll be a master at Pit Bulls and an upstanding Pit Bull owner who sets a good example for the breed.

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
Rain, I think its absolutly super that you're adopting a dog from a shelter.

BUT you have other animals, you do NOT mix pit bulls with other small animals, other small children.

I think you're making a huge mistake, and it isn't you who is going to pay for this mistake, it is your other animals.

You can train, you can teach pit bulls, but what you can not do it stop it being a pit bull, no one can. Its part of their breed, its what they are.

If you want to keep your other animals, please reconsider and choose a different breed, such as a lab. OR give your other animals away to friends.

You can NOT become a master a pit bulls, you are not in control, the dog is. I can not believe people think you can control an animal, any animal 100% of the time. You can not.

Change your mind, please.

Users who are viewing this thread