I've drawn a complete..... Blank!: The Grosse Pointe Blank Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

10 reasons why Grosse Pointe Blank rules the earth.
    1. It's one of thos eiflms that I can watch again and again and yet never tire of. The wit is so fresh and so surprisingly blood-curdling. The performances capture the perfect balance between optimism for the future and self-pity for the way time has passed amidst unrealised dreams.
    2. Everytime I reminiss with friends about how its been so long since school (only actually about 3 years) someone will invariably shout: "10 years!!!"
    3. It came out at almost the exact same time as Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, an infinitely inferior reunion film. All this release served to do was highlight how good GPB really is.
    4. Amazing soundtrack! This is one of my most played albums of the 90s!
    5. It's chock full of hilarious quotes, the brilliance of which will never die:
    "When we observe the subject in an illegal act, only then can we intervene and terminate."
    "Why don't you just shoot the fucker?"
    "How did ya get the gig!"
    "Well, you know, they were hiring. And it was only a two week course."
    "When are you authorised to use lethal force?"
    "If you're on the property, I can do what I gotta do."
    "Thanks for the pen."
    "You're not gonna get to do your little job, because we're gonna do it for you. And when we've done your little job we're gonna do another little job."
    "What?"
    "Like I'm gonna put a bullet hole in your f*&king forehead and I'm gonna f*&k the brain-hole!"
    "Nice talk sugar mouth."
    "What like a union?"
    "No, more like a club."
    "And you will be the head of this organisation, or more like a father-figure to me?"
    "Hey if you need a father I'll give you a spanking."
    6. It showcases Jeremy Piven in all his underappreciated glory. You just know! his character wasn't cool in high school.
    7. Minnie Driver CAN do a U.S. accent!
    8. Sports. Sex. No real relationships.
    9. The amazingly violent and gruesome death scne of the East European hit man at Blank's reunion.
    10. For re-introducing Dan Ackroyd back to the world of quality cinema in a big way.
    Bring on an S.E. I love this film.

2. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I'm also a big lover of this one. I think it's great that little "classics" like this and "Bottle Rocket" are being pulled out for appreciation threads!

3. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

A couple trivia facts:

"Martin Blank" was the 'true identity' of an old Spider-Man comic book villain from the 70's called The Gibbon.

The "gruesome death" mentioned above was Benny "The Jet" Urquidez... a martial arts champion best known for fighting Jackie Chan in Wheels On Meals.

Love this movie. The 5.1 mix on my LaserDisc absolutely rocks. How's the DVD sound?

4. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

My wife and I love this movie. We've been together almost "TEN YEARS", so that quote comes up from time to time.
    I believe "The Jet" and John Cusack were friends from training together before they made this movie. Don't recall the source...

An SE would be an immediate pre-order from me.

Mark

5. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

JUST WANTED TO CAST ANOTHER THUMBS-UP VOTE FOR THIS MOVIE

6. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Hell, I would settle for just an anamorphic version, regardless of extras. This is one of my personal favorites also. The music is stuff I listened to through high school, and I also happened to graduate in '86. Great movie. Cusack is one of my favorites also.

TimG

7. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

add my wife and I to the list of people who really like this movie. We watch it about once a month, she loves John Cusack in it, and Minnie Driver is easy on the eyes as well [​IMG]

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This is one of my favs as well, I love the back and forth between Joan Cusak, a recipe taker, and an ammo company [​IMG]
    "no that won't work!"

9. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    It's time for the Mouse to re-do this one (John Cusak commentary please). The DVD doesnt look too good and the laser (which was poor, even for a laser) seems to have about a 100% rot rate.

One of my favorites. A definete 10 on the re-watchability scale.

10. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Ah yes. Professional killer. Good growth market. I always thought you'd go the other route - long haired hippie...

Just add me to the list of bums who like the movie.

11. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

"Here's your not-an-omlette." [​IMG]

12. Greg Ambrose

Greg Ambrose Auditioning

You know, this is yet another example where I hear things completely different from someone else in a movie - I always thought the waitress says 'Here's your nada omelette' but your way makes sense too! How cool is that?

Great movie though, I never get tired of it!