What's new

I've come to the conclusion that 'GTA3' is really boring! (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
What the player does is steal a car, run someone over, wait, steal a car, run someone over, blow something up, steal a car, drive it somewhere. Thats pretty monotonous.
Run across field, fight some stupid random monster, run across field six more feet, fight another stupid monster, run another 6 feet, fight a bird, get into town, watch 6 minute movie, run 4 feet in a market place and fight another bird, pretty monotonous. (that is a Final Fantasy game, in case you were wondering ;) )
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
As for talking about the cities in the GTA series not being "living and breathing", please let me see the game you are perfecting to do this.
As far as I can tell, with how limited the PS2's hardware and memory is, the games city is pretty damn impressive. Sure you can make every building accesible, but that is not really necessary to advance the games story. If I wanted to play a game where I take people hostage and plant bombs, I wouldn't play a game called "Grand Theft Auto", I would play a different game. Why you ask? Because the game is about stealing cars, hence the name "Grand Theft Auto"!
Next thing we will be complaining about only being able to drive in a game called "Driver". :rolleyes
-Dean-

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Actually, thats a point. I have enough trouble trying to find those hidden packages as it is. If I had to look round every single apartment in the whole bl**dy city this game would be the most dull thing since I played a (hold on, one flame war at a time...) since I sat through an FMV sequence. There, thats nice and non-specific.

What people are complaining about on this thread is largely stuff that no other game manages to do either. I love Crazy Taxi as well, even though none of the cabs come in black. Although, visions are now appearing of Crazy Taxi in a central London rush-hour, and realising it could be the most dull game ever. Sit in a car still simulator anyone?

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think anyone would want every room in every building to be accessible - you can imagine the endless cookie cutter rooms all identically modelled and textured because of space limitations.

It would, I think have made a better game if more locations in the city were used. I realise the emphasis is on the cars, but it just seems that such an amoral character would be able to have a lot more fun if he wasn't constrained to the exterior of the city.

Dean makes a fair point though, any game when analysed comes down to a number of actions repeated. They may be dressed up in different ways, but it's the same old stuff over and over.

It's a fair bet that a certain upcoming game from id will consist of moving from room to room shooting creatures, collecting the odd item, and then repeating all over again.
Described like that, it doesn't sound like much, but who doesn't want to see Doom 3 in action?

(Of course this is where lots of people pipe up that they couldn't care less about seeming Doom 3)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sure you can make every building accesible, but that is not really necessary to advance the games story
Neither does a lot of the things you can do in GTA3. The point of all those added things is that they are put there in addition to the main storyline.

In fact, while most people hate FF because of the constant FMVs, they are used to move the storyline along. At least in FF games when you do those repetitive tasks you are gaining something, whereas in GTA3 you're just looking at stuff happen.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i stopped playing final fantasy game. last time i played was final fantasy 3 on snes. i tried playing ff7, got bored in the middle of disc one.

now i am not interested to play gta3 either, but if i was forced to choose...i would pick gta3 instead of ff. you might gain something after tons of repetitive battle...then you face the fact that you need to gain some more in order to advance. you are always forced to gain something that is sooo ordinary and silly = level up. when you level up, you simply get stronger. you dont get something special that really enhance or add meaningful twist to the gameplay. you only get prettier animation for the repetitive magic attack scenes, most of the time.

i prefer deus ex to any of these games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh, yeah, you don't get to follow the great storyline and watch the likeable characters develop. Nor do you get to go on lots of fun little side quests. Nor do you gain abilities after battling that will help you against bosses. Nor do you have to manage your party.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm referring to things in FF games that are the real reasons for why they are enjoyable to me. Felix only mentioned the battle system, so I'm being sarcastic and saying how there are all these other things that aren't in FF games, even though they are.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
As for GTA3, it's pretty fun. I have it. Technically, I think it's genius. Name one game that has as much going on at the same time as this one does; I dare you.
The closest thing I can think of is Shenmue.
By the way I love GTA3, at the moment I'm addicted to the RC car minigame! I don't even bother aiming for the Diablos, I have fun doing things such as parking it in the middle of a group of people then BLAM!

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
OK I thought this game was fun right away but it does get repetitive in that, whoopdee I did the same thing over and over in five minutes. It's still kind of fun but a buddy of mine always picks it up and plays when people are over, and after ten minutes they ask, " what else can you do "

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks