I've come to the conclusion that 'GTA3' is really boring!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've been playing it for a few days now for the PS2, and i'm getting very little enjoyment out of it at this point. It sucks too because I always heard great things about this game, and indeed when I first saw it I thought I would love it. It's just aimlessly driving around, running people down, which gets really boring after awhile, and going on inane little jobs for mob bosses. It doesn't help that I don't care for the way the game handles controller wise, I can't orient my guy when it comes time to throw down and shoot someone, i'm always facing in the wrong direcion and by the time I get turned around, i'm dead.

The graphics are nothing special either, too blocky for my tastes, it seems that they sacrificed smooth and believable graphics and poured all of the power into the games physics, which I will admit are great, i've never seen a game with more options and sheer freedom to do what I wish in the game environment. It also has something else I absolutly despise in games, and that is what I call the "clone factor". You see people walking all over the place in Liberty City, but they all look alike! You beat up and kill one guy, then you see the exact same guy across the street, I hate that.

And don't get me strated on the way you have to save each game! I mean you have to go home everytime, please.

I've already made arrangments to sell it to a friend of mine, but has anyone else grown tired of this game after only a few days? Everyone seems to love it, to each his own I guess.

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I see no reason why I should get flamed, I gave intelligent and constructive reasons why I don't care for the game. Now if I had said "GTA3 sucks ass big time!!" That would be different. [​IMG] (pay attention to the smiley fellas)
    EDIT: Paul, you edited your post while I was composing mine, I never said that the game sucks, re-read my post. I felt it was cause enough to start a thread because I thought it was an odd occurance that someone would find this game boring. If I had started a thread called "I love GTA3!" THAT would be pointless, because everyone loves the game. Mine is a counter opinion on the matter and thought it would make for a good discussion.
    Listen, I don't want to get into a flame war on this, I just want a calm discussion here. I said nothing flammatory about the game, so take it easy alright.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'm having some of the same feelings with Warcraft 3, yet another game people will say "Warcraft 3 is the greatest game ever", but I have serious issues with the lame storyline (see the Warcraft 3 Gone Gold thread).
    GTA3 is quite a different game from most...what you enjoy out of the game is what you put into it. Running around and beating up people on the street is boring! Don't do that! [​IMG]
    The problem with open-ended games is that when you get into a habit of playing a certain way, it is easy to get bored. This is the reason why most games are still linear, with no options to change the outcome of the game. GTA3's main missions are like this...they are different and can be quite fun!
    My friend had the same problem as you...he said "I went around beating up people on the street and harassing the cops too. I got bored!". Well, of COURSE he got bored! He wanted the goal to be spelt out to him...spoonfed!
    The distraction of other options between missions confuses some people...like how an MMORPG isn't for everyone, as there is no ultimate goal for them! I suspect, John, that you would have the same problem with MMORPGs, except of course the people on the servers would harass you into joining them on "pointless and inane" quests. :wink:
    The fun is in the journey, not the goal!
    GTA3 is fun when you do as many missions as you can. Ignore the distractions of the hookers and other riffraf. Pretend you don't have any freewill, just think of the non-mission stuff as atmosphere. Don't be the person who doesn't know what to do with his life...confused by the millions of choices, a curse from living in the Western World.
    Don't let GTA3s openness and freedom of choice paralyze you! Treat the game like any of the other thousands of truly linear games out there.
    Now, I do feel sorry for you about the controls though...the PC version is MUCH more playable.

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Sorry, I love GTA3! If was some of the best money I spent on a game since I put countless hours into it and have yet to beat it. I will be going back to it soon.
    -Andre F

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Well, I played enough GTA3 on my friend's PS2 to know I love it. I'd love it more if my computer could run it [​IMG]. I wasn't sold on GTA3 at the beginning, but it's very true: driving around is boring. What did you expect though? It's a crime simulator, not a street racer.
    After you start doing the missions I found the fun factor in this game jumps through the roof. It was on the first island doing the mission involving the rave (you know what I'm talking about most of you [​IMG]) that the game really took off for me. That mission had both great 'oh shit!' factor plus an awesomely white-knuckled chase scene (the way I was driving at least). All backed by the classy sounds of Flashback Radio.
    But hey, your perogative to not like it yeah? I think GTA3 is worth it if you put the time into it to dig a bit deeper, but that's just my opinion.

8. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator

John I think you are in a very small group. About ten people that I work with all ended up buying GTA3 because of my rave reviews. And I haven't heard one negative thing from them. My best friend is a firefighter and the whole station is hooked on the game. John I feel bad for you because I hate it when you hear about something that is sooooo good and it falls very short of you expectations. Maybe you should use the money that you get from GTA3 and go out and buy MOH frontline....I can't say enough good things about it! [​IMG]

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I really like the game as a whole, but on the PS2 the controls are so ludicrously unsuited to on-foot shootouts that its ridiculous. I'm on the Tony Cipriani mission to pick up the briefcase on the first island (no, I haven't got very far in completing it), and when I have to shoot my way out of the alley I keep failing because I can neither see nor aim at all.

Still, the non-linearity of the game is a godsend. If I'm bored of failing one mission there is normally at least one other to try. If I don't fancy either right now, I can play some Crazy Taxi. If driving around repeatedly dropping off people gets dull I'll go explore for some hidden packages, or try to do a Rampage (I've only managed the rocket launcher one so far, due to my problem with aiming, however). Otherwise, breaking out my stupidly fast car (stolen from the garage by ramraiding a big truck through the glass) and attempting a few insane stunts before hobbling back to get it repaired is fun as well.

The important thing to remember with the saving is that you can re-try missions as much as you want, and getting killed or arrested just loses you some cash and your weapons. So unless you're really picky about cash loss (and when the fire-engine missions are such a walkover I'd have to ask why), just save when you want to turn the machine off, not every 30 seconds like its a badly-written PC FPS game. I think the save mechanism is a godsend; it discourages the repetitive Tomb-Raider-style repeat until not dead gameplay that is killing the PC.

10. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

John:

I agree, GTA3 is about as dull a game as I have played.

I un-installed the PC version after a few days, as did my brother and another friend.

While there are a large number of missions, and most of them are different, they seem to get very boring after a while. I guess the storyline just didnt keep me interested.

Also, there arent really that many personalities to deal with. The game is heralded as a huge, open-ended world that you can explore. The problem is that 99.9% of the people you meet are clones! It really felt like a big empty city to me, inhabited primarily by "Night of the Living Dead" type zombies with no personality who roam around aimlessly.

The game had potential, but fell short in my opinion.

Jeff Peake

My thoughts on all the flamers that have (and will in the future) post to this thread:
    -------------------------------------------------------

Why is it that people cant seem to handle a negative review of any game on this forum (unless of course 90% of the people agree that the game stinks). Without dissenting opinions I would find this forum pretty useless.

Not everyone is going to like the games you think are good. Everyone has the right to post thier opinions here. People seem to take a negative review very personally, which is a common reaction in the adolescent-overrun forums (planet_______.com comes to mind). But here at the HTF I would expect a higher level of conversation.

A negative review is not the same thing as flaming.

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Jeff, if my positive description of what I believe to be the game's merits came across as a personal attack I apologise. I believe, however, that the people who have posted positive comments about the game here have been hoping that by explaining what parts of the game they find fun that both you and John will be able to find good things in the game as well. I don't want you to like the game in order to agree with me, merely because PS2 games aren't cheap, and I'd like you to get your money's worth out of it - I and others believe that there is fun to be had, and we don't want you to miss out.

12. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Who the hell said they didn't? [​IMG] So far, you're the only flamer here Jeff. [​IMG]

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

14. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Paul:

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

16. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

I had the game twice, and sold it both times. I just didn't see what all the hype was about after the initial wow factor wore off.

17. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

A friend of mine firmly believes the game is good. I don't.

The only difference between the first game, the second game, and the third game is the title, the storyline, a few new ways to kill people, and the graphics. The over-repetitive missions that boil down to little more than "steal car A and drive it here, then kill person B, and blow up object C." I tried to play this game, doing the cool stuff aside from the main game and doing actual missions, but it was just boring. There's no coherence to the game at all.

Maybe its your cup of tea, but it ain't mine.

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

20. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Jason F,
    i'm way ahead of ya, I bought MOH: Frontline at the same time I bought GTA3 and have been playing the crap out of it! I love that game! Now if I can just defeat that damn 'Eye of the Storm' level! [​IMG] I've been stuck on it for 2 weeks now.
    As for those that think this thread is flame bait I say to you, you couldn't be further from the truth! I absolutly HATE getting flamed, I fear it in fact, so it doesn't make any sense that I would purposfully INVITE it now does it? I have nearly 3000 posts here, and not once have I started a thread just to start trouble, not once!
    Thanks for going easy on me for the most part so far guy's. Yes, it's as simple as that, I played it, and simply didn't care for it, I just can't get into it and i've really tried. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't.