I've been on a Stephen King binge.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, I haven’t read the whole thread, so this may have been answered. What was the SK novel about an airliner racing ahead of creatures that were eating time, or is it reality?

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finished The Dark Half last night. Up until the final third I wondered if it wouldn't have been better as a novella or short story, as I kept questioning "so how is this character being made flesh exactly?" It seemed like the connection between Beaumont absorbing his twin in utero and his ability to give life to his pen name was tenuous at best, and at least several times I wondered if this wasn't a self-indulgent exercise in King thinking deep thoughts about the writing process, alter egos as pen names, etc. I stopped thinking about that in the final third because Sheriff Pangborn finally gave in too and stopped trying to figure it out, so that was my cue to just go along for the ride, also. Overall, I thought the premise was kind of half-baked and certainly not King's best.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just ordered Kong’s latest - a collection of four short novellas. As much as I love his novels, I might love the shorter form works even more.

Reactions: Cameron Yee

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
First time I've seen this thread (which feels odd as I've been a Stephen King fan since I discovered his books at my local library in the 80s while in junior high), but happy to see so many fellow fans. Like others feel, he doesn't always "hit it out of the park" but in general his books are fun reads, and occasionally he'll blast a homer that lands in the parking lot.

Question: Am I missing an inside joke with "Kong"? (and the subsequent Longoliers comment?)

Obviously with stay at home orders, I immediately had a lot of time on my hands and I delved into my two passions: guitar and books, and specifically Stephen King. I am re-reading The Stand, because reasons. Finished The Institute which I did enjoy. I also saw they finished filming The Stand series right before the pandemic closed everything down, so it will be interesting to see how it's received once it comes out, I'm going to guess in 2021.

While early on I was chasing down collectibles of his stories that I loved (I have some of the earliest DM Grant hardcover prints of the Dark Tower series. I bought v.3 onwards direct from them as they came out, but v1 and v2 were already long out of print by the time I discovered the series...but I managed to get my hands on a first printing of Drawing of the Three and a second printing of The Gunslinger). But in the last 5 years or so I've been getting the "deluxe reissues" of his earlier novels from small presses like Cemetery Dance and PS Publishing. Just got the Revival Special Edition and that's quite something...faux leather bound kind of like a...well you know.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What are your favorite SK books everyone ? If you had to pick only 2 or 3.
I'll chose a few from different categories.

The best: The Stand
The scariest: Pet Sematary
Deep cut: Roadwork
Nostalgic favorite: Christine

EDIT: I've only read King's books up until about 1990 so I can't comment on a huge chunk of his body of work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree that Pet Semetary was the scariest. The more recent novel, Revival, was scary to me in the way his earlier work was.

11/22/63 is a truly impressive work.

I really like Duma Key. It’s a smaller scale story than some of his other works with characters that feel real.

The short story anthologies are probably my favorites. He’s a master at that form and it’s great to experience how he can tell a satisfying story in mere pages.

The entirety that is The Dark Tower is my favorite work of his.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The short story anthologies are probably my favorites. He’s a master at that form and it’s great to experience how he can tell a satisfying story in mere pages.
Yeah, some of his short stories are amazing.

I also added to my previous post that I haven't read any of his stuff beyond about 1990 so I didn't finish The Dark Tower series or 11/22/63 but those sound like some of the highlights.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The novel “It” was also amazing and so much better than either adaptation. It’s long but worthwhile.

Reactions: TravisR

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Shining
The Dead Zone
IT

I think, generally speaking, the novels that have a dose of sentiment and nostalgia to them have been his strongest works for me. The three I picked are typical of what I mean, in particular IT.

What are your favorite SK books everyone ? If you had to pick only 2 or 3.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm about a quarter through Needful Things and am enjoying it. Especially after being pretty "meh" about The Dark Half.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'm not going to go back and look through the thread to see if anyone else liked Danse Macabre as a favorite--
Yes, it's not a novel, but King's the kind of guy you'd sit and listen to TALK ABOUT horror for two hours, more than you'd read his examples of it.

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I'm not going to go back and look through the thread to see if anyone else liked Danse Macabre as a favorite--
Yes, it's not a novel, but King's the kind of guy you'd sit and listen to TALK ABOUT horror for two hours, more than you'd read his examples of it.
I loved that book. Especially his Star Trek story.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els