What's new

I've been on a Stephen King binge. (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I generally enjoyed the Bill Hodges trilogy but I felt let down by the third novel, which took what had been straightforward detective stories and thrust them firmly into the supernatural. I like supernatural stuff but I was admiring Kong’s skill working in a different genre, and to me it felt like a bit of a cheat for him to return to the supernatural in order to bring the trilogy to a conclusion. Similarly, I was riveted by The Outsider when there appeared to be a genuine mystery there but was disappointed when it was revealed to be a more supernatural story instead; it replayed all of my Hodges story letdowns.

Duma Key is great.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm reading Pet Sematary now. I haven't been too motivated to start the Dark Tower, for whatever reason. Some of the posts here don't help. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Cameron: By all means try reading the entire Dark Tower cycle (including The Wind Through the Keyhole).

Josh: I picked up some supernatural elements in the first novel, Mr. Mercedes. It would be nice, though, to see King write a straightforward crime novel, much like one of his own heroes, John D. McDonald.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm reading Pet Sematary now. I haven't been too motivated to start the Dark Tower, for whatever reason. Some of the posts here don't help. :D
If you don't like the first one, still read the second book because I did not enjoy the first one but loved the second and third (that's as far as I've gotten although that's due to a busy schedule).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, you are correct. Forgive my brainfade. Especially The Colorado Kid (a paperback original), which has a zero supernatural presence. Joyland (published by the same imprint) has more of Stephen King's "feel," but, still, largely is a "mystery" novel. Thank you for pointing those two out.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Regretfully, Adam, I have not yet seen the film adaptation of what is incorrectly called the "sequel" to The Shining. As for the novel itself (which I have read twice), it is, in my opinion, more of a continuation of The Shining. I would put it somewhere in the bottom third of King's novels -- enjoyable, yes, but flawed (the ease with which various characters indulge in their unusual powers and abilities strains credibility a bit too much).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sounds like you were similarly disappointed with Doctor Sleep as I. But why did you read it twice, if so?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Because I so love reading anything by Stephen King! Yes, Doctor Sleep is flawed, but it is fun as hell to read.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because I so love reading anything by Stephen King! Yes, Doctor Sleep is flawed, but it is fun as hell to read.
The film version does an incredible job being both a satisfying adaptation of Doctor Sleep the novel and a continuation of Kubrick's film The Shining. I highly recommend it when you get the opportunity.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I will. And I have read reviews that have noted the similarities in the Doctor Sleep film and Mr. Kubrick's The Shining.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oh, I will. And I have read reviews that have noted the similarities in the Doctor Sleep film and Mr. Kubrick's The Shining.
Blasphemous as this may be, I enjoyed the film version of Doctor Sleep much more than Kubrick’s The Shining.

And I’m currently near the end of reading The Institute which I am enjoying very much.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finished Pet Sematary last night. I see it as kind of an incipient version or precursor to It.

Part II was tough reading because of the emotional rawness, but Part III was back to horror mode and a certain schlock quality, so that balanced out.

I'm not sure what I'll read next. I may save up Dark Tower 1 to 3 to do them in a row. So that would mean Christine or Needful Things. I also think I may have read Christine, but like with Cujo my memory is fuzzy about the details.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Finished The Institute last week. Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the TV adaption.

First King book I’ve read in a looooong time. Forgot how much I enjoy his writing. Trying to decide which of his more recent books to read next.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven’t read the Institute yet but it’s next up on my list.

Have you read 11/22/63? It’s not really a horror book but I think it has some of his most outstanding work. The TV adaptation was a poor facsimile of the novel.

It was more novella than novel, but “Elevation” I found enormously uplifting.

For good stories about ordinary people encountering things that don’t make sense to them/everything isn’t completely explained in the end, I love both “Duma Key” and “From A Buick 6”

“Revival” was scary and creepy in a way the best of his older material was.

Can’t go wrong with any of those!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven’t read the Institute yet but it’s next up on my list.

Have you read 11/22/63? It’s not really a horror book but I think it has some of his most outstanding work. The TV adaptation was a poor facsimile of the novel.

It was more novella than novel, but “Elevation” I found enormously uplifting.

For good stories about ordinary people encountering things that don’t make sense to them/everything isn’t completely explained in the end, I love both “Duma Key” and “From A Buick 6”

“Revival” was scary and creepy in a way the best of his older material was.

Can’t go wrong with any of those!
Thanks Josh!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pssst, Josh : It's From a Buick 8, not 6.

Tino, go with Mr. King's last novel, The Outsider.

Oh, and Josh mentioned Mr. King's novella, Elevation. It's quite lovely. As was Gwendy's Button Box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks