"I've been a member of the HOME THEATER FORUM for 3 years, your wrong!"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    That is what I said to my father tonight as we sat and talked with a neighbor who dropped by. See, they were kinda boozing it a bit, and when my dad drinks he thinks he knows EVERYTHING. Anyway, the subject of those old 8 track tapes came up, my dad had a shitload of them back in the 70's and 80's but got rid of them, now he regrets it.
    Now we come to the heart of the matter of this thread, the 8 track discussion segwade(sp) into a discussion about the dvd format, and he says in his usual alchohol induced confident king-of-all tone, "In five years, they'll be able to fit 10 movies on one disc smaller than what's out now! And we'll all be screwed because we'll have to start all over again! Watch, you'll see."
    I knew it was futile, but I proudly said, equally as confident I might add, "Wrong! The next evolution for the dvd format will be hi-def dvd, and you will still be able to play all current standard def dvd's on the new hi def dvd players. Please don't argue with me on this, you can't win this one, I am a member of the HTF!"
    This is the first time I had ever used the forum as a credential in an argument, and it felt really good! The funny thing is I didn't even mean to say that, it just slipped out! Anyway, I am proud to announce that after I said my part, he relented! He didn't say anything, and I know my dad, when he doesn't speak, he knows he just MIGHT be wrong. [​IMG]
    I just thought I would share this with you all, as it felt good to use this forum as a badge of defense against one man's ignorance! [​IMG]
    I wasn't sure which area to post this in. My gut told me the 'After Hours' area, but then I thought it's about the dvd format so I guess it would go here in 'Software'. If i'm wrong I apologize.

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

That's the kind of story that brings tears to my eyes. I haven't played HTF card just yet-I'm trying to save it for something HUGE [​IMG] One day, it'll be my turn...
    Bruce

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I can't wait until I get to use it too... [​IMG]
    I do bring up the forum every now and again with a know-it-all friend of mine though.
    "...Well, that's not what they're sayin' on the HTF" [​IMG]

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

5. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

Who knows John, maybe you're dad'll be right. When hi-def DVDs come out, leave it to some crappy public domain company to put ten films in standard def on one hi-def DVD.

6. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

One of these days John, you and I got to go for a few beers. It seems like we have the same taste in movies and women. You seem like a cool dude to me. Peace.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Johnny,
    sounds cool, and if I drank alchohol of any kind, i'd take you up on that. [​IMG]
    Lannie,
    your not helping! [​IMG]

8. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

You played the HTF card on your DAD?!?!?[​IMG]
    You are merciless. The HTF card is only supposed to be used on J6P and your ignorant drunk friends...How cruel[​IMG]
    dan

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

How about ignorant drunk dads? [​IMG]
    Actually, several of my co-workers know that I'm a member of the HTF by now. I play that card all the time. I think there are about a half-dozen of them lurking here constantly as a result. [​IMG]
    Hiya, fellas! [​IMG]

10. Paul Seward

Paul Seward Agent

I had the same sort of thing happen this week to me as well. We were meeting with the builder on our new house discussing the plans. They wanted to sound insulate my media room (about $300-$400). I told them not to bother. Just drop enough sheet rock to double cover the wall and I will insulate/sound proof/acoustically treat the room myself. They then asked with a very condinsending(sp) look on their face... "Where did you hear about laying double sheetrock?" I simply said "Home Theater Forum!" They looked at me with this crazy look as I just smiled and carried on asking about somthing else.
    [​IMG]

11. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

12. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

The next great invention from the HTF...
    Every member gets a HTF card, and each time it's used correctly.. one of the HTF boxes is punched... get all 10 boxes punched and you get %50 off your next DVD purchase!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

I work in sales (or at least I did), and have refered probably about 50-75 people here and to AVSforums (depending on what help they needed)... I almost had cards made so I didn't have to write out the name anymore. Wonder how many of them are here...hehe...

Jim

14. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Way to go, John! [​IMG]

15. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

You guys have it all wrong. First off I'll be dumping my entire HD-DVD collection over to a little chip on a small card that fits in pocket. ..This will be nice when I travel the globe in my flying rocket car...

16. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks for the laugh John.
    I've played the HTF card a few times on my friends, it's great. Of course, my parents and friends ask me how come I know so much about all this HT/DVD stuff. Response, forums like this one, Polk and HTT.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Now that you have discovered this power, you must promise to use it only for good, never for evil. [​IMG]
    Man, I can just see this stuff getting out of hand:
    INT. CIRCUIT CITY STORE (DAY)
    A CUSTOMER is putting items in his shopping cart. Suddenly PARKER and RON, wearing sunglasses and blue windbreakers, burst into the store.
    PARKER: Freeze! HTF!
    The startled customer drops a DVD to the floor.
    RON: Hands where I can see them. Step away from the cart.
    Ron approaches the cart. As he does we can see the giant letters "HTF" emblazoned on the back of his windbreaker.
    RON (looking through cart): It's worse than we thought. Every DVD he's picked out is pan and scan, he's got a DVD player in here and no third-party cables - you know what that means...
    PARKER: Yeah, he's going to connect it using the cables that come in the box. Probably coax. Freak.
    RON: Damn! (as he backs away from cart) Parker - he's got Bose!
    PARKER (whipping out walkie-talkie and speaking into it): We have Bose, I repeat, we have Bose. (To Ron) Get out of there.
    Ron grabs the customer and secures his hands with cable-ties, then walks him over to where Parker is standing. As he does, OBI enters in full bomb-disposal gear with "HTF" written across the front of his flak jacket. He carefully lifts a Bose box out of the shopping cart with gauntleted hands. He nods at Ron and Parker.
    OBI: Lifestyle system. This guy ought to thank you. You saved him a lot of money and crappy sound.
    CUSTOMER: But my wife likes the little speakers, they're so easy to hide!
    PARKER: Yeah, that's what they all say. You can hide any speaker if you don't mind doing a little work. But no, you wanted a short-cut, you wanted the easy way out - and to hell with the sound quality and cost. Guys like you make me want to puke.
    (As Parker is speaking, Obi places the Bose box in a padded metal container on a dolly and carefully wheels it out of the store.)
    RON: OK, pal, playtime's over. You're under arrest for violating the Home Theater Act, possession of P&S DVDs, attempted possesion of Bose, and probably a bunch of other things I'll think of on the way back to the station. You have the right to view films in their original theatrical aspect ratio. You have the right to at least 5.1 channels of discrete sound. If you cannot afford a 5.1 channel digital sound system, a matrixed Dolby Surround track will be provided to you at no cost. You have the right to expect that studios will not follow a barebones release of a major title with a special edition within two months. Do you understand these rights?
    CUSTOMER: Uh, not really. What's an aspect ratio?
    PARKER: You'll have plenty of time to learn about that in the slammer. Let's go.
    They begin walking the bewidered customer to the door
    RON: Do you think these cable ties do a good job of securing the prisoners?
    PARKER: I've never had a problem, why?
    RON: One of the guys in the Tampa office was telling me about this speaker wire he's been using. Says it is much tougher for them to wriggle out of. But it's really expensive...
    [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

20. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

"Sir, you are in direct violation of HTF code 1.33 PS, section 1.78 WS in the HTF code of ethics. Please step away from the television and drop the remote!"
    The HTF, defending OAR from the P&S scum of the universe!
    [​IMG]