What's new

Ivanhoe (1 Viewer)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
It has recently come to my attention that the A&E/BBC production of Ivanhoe with Steven Waddington, Susan Lynch, Ciaran Hinds, Victoria Smurfit and Christopher Lee is now available on DVD. This is excellent news as I've longed to replace my old tape of the series. Have any of you picked up this 2-disc set yet? How is the picture and sound quality? Are there any extras? I think at the time the mini-series aired on A&E, they did show a making-of featurette with cast interviews, etc. Is this included on the DVD?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
This is a terrific adaptation of Sir Walter Scott's novel. I was unaware of its release on DVD - thank you! :) I shall also be replacing my old VHS tapes ASAP.
Nowhere seems to have any details on this set. A&E's website mentions it's Closed Captioned, but nothing more. Still, with only 2 discs for a 300 minutes running time, I'll be glad for no featurettes consuming valuable bitrate.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh dear! I thought this was about the 1952 MGM film with Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Fontaine. A geat adventure film with great stars! When's this coming out on DVD?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I am concerned that the running time matches the PAL running time exactly. Surely this miniseries was shot on 24fps film? If that is the case, and the running time information is accurate, then the R1 release may be a poor PAL->NTSC conversion. Hoping someone can point me to a review... :)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
In case anyone is interested, I saw on the Costco web site that they're selling a set called "A&E Literary Classics: The Romance Collection" for $99.99. In addition to Ivanhoe, it also includes Emma, Jane Eyre, Lorna Doone, Pride and Prejudice, Scarlet Pimpernel, Tom Jones and Victoria and Albert. I already have Pride and Prejudice, but I'm still thinking that this is a pretty good deal and I might have to pick it up.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Are you listning WB? Release the 1952 Liz Taylor version! Man she was stunningly beautiful in those days!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks