Ivanhoe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ellen, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    It has recently come to my attention that the A&E/BBC production of Ivanhoe with Steven Waddington, Susan Lynch, Ciaran Hinds, Victoria Smurfit and Christopher Lee is now available on DVD. This is excellent news as I've longed to replace my old tape of the series. Have any of you picked up this 2-disc set yet? How is the picture and sound quality? Are there any extras? I think at the time the mini-series aired on A&E, they did show a making-of featurette with cast interviews, etc. Is this included on the DVD?

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

This is a terrific adaptation of Sir Walter Scott's novel. I was unaware of its release on DVD - thank you! [​IMG] I shall also be replacing my old VHS tapes ASAP.
    Nowhere seems to have any details on this set. A&E's website mentions it's Closed Captioned, but nothing more. Still, with only 2 discs for a 300 minutes running time, I'll be glad for no featurettes consuming valuable bitrate.

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Oh dear! I thought this was about the 1952 MGM film with Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Fontaine. A geat adventure film with great stars! When's this coming out on DVD?

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I am concerned that the running time matches the PAL running time exactly. Surely this miniseries was shot on 24fps film? If that is the case, and the running time information is accurate, then the R1 release may be a poor PAL->NTSC conversion. Hoping someone can point me to a review... [​IMG]

6. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I also thought it was the version starring the two Taylor's. I can't wait to but that one!

Andy

7. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

8. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    In case anyone is interested, I saw on the Costco web site that they're selling a set called "A&E Literary Classics: The Romance Collection" for $99.99. In addition to Ivanhoe, it also includes Emma, Jane Eyre, Lorna Doone, Pride and Prejudice, Scarlet Pimpernel, Tom Jones and Victoria and Albert. I already have Pride and Prejudice, but I'm still thinking that this is a pretty good deal and I might have to pick it up.

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Are you listning WB? Release the 1952 Liz Taylor version! Man she was stunningly beautiful in those days!