What's new

iTunes Re-Download Content (1 Viewer)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Greetings:

Need some advice / assistance from the HTF Collective.

A few years ago I built a new system using an SSD for my primary drive and a 3TB hard drive for storage.
Backed up the SSD but didn't back up the 3TB, lesson learned there I guess...

About a week ago the 3TB drive decides to start having problems and unfortunately when I was notified it was already
to late and the damage was done. Fortunately the drive was about 30 days from warranty expiration (NEVER happens to me - usually 30 days AFTER the warranty expires) so a replacement will be coming from the manufacturer.

In the mean time I have been trying desperately to get whatever I can off of the drive and not having a whole lot of success and spending a whole lot of time.

Anyway my entire iTunes movie collection was on that drive and I am trying to get it back. I have read on Apples site that there is a way to re-download purchased content but when I follow the directions 3 movies show up in the "Not on my system" tab.

I would really prefer the time be spent re-downloading the content then trying to recover it. Can anyone offer any other suggestion on how I can get the content to show up to re-download through iTunes?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are you 100% sure you bought those movies directly through iTunes? If not, like you transferred a digital copoy off the disk those are lost forever.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Most were off of the digital copy codes that were included with movies I purchased. So I guess I am out of luck.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You should be able to download and watch all iTunes codes that came with blu-ray/DVD.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I checked the iCloud list and there are two Disney movies there and nothing else. I too thought that upon entering the iTunes codes from BD purchases I would be able to get them back if somethinghappened to them. Granted if some were no longer carried on the store I would be out of luck but the majority are newer movies that are still available. Truly a head scratcher, perhaps time to send iTunes support an email and ask them. Thank you for assisting, if you think of anything else please let me know.As a post script to this I am wondering if it is an iTunes database problem. I know very little about databases but it must keep the info somewhere that tells it where everything is. iTunes is installed on C but all of the lost files were on E. Perhaps it still thinks that the files are still there and thus not giving me the opportunity to re-download them. Possible or am I totally talking out my butt?

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Colin,

If you go to the iTunes Store, on the right hand side of the main page you should see a "Purchased" button. The Movies tab of this page should show any digital copies that you have redeemed.

If you are not seeing them, is it possible that you have used two iTunes accounts? My wife had a similar situation, and it turned out she was using one account for iCloud backups and syncing, and another account for iTunes purchases.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Hello Patrick -

I checked as you described, and it does not show any movies to download.

I only have one account and all of my purchases have been made on that account.

Thank you for responding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks