What's new

iTunes now available for Windows 2000 and XP (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Sweet! The timing is fortuitous, particularly now that eMusic has decided to drop the unlimited downloading option.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Too bad it doesn't work. Everytime I go to the "Music Store" home page or to sign up or try to create a new account I get an error message

"There is not enough memory available" WHATEVER.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Some people are reporting lockups after installing iTunes under win2k. My work machine locked up with a missing DLL error and I had to do a win2k repair install to get back up and running.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was interested until I saw it was W2K or XP only. I'm still on 98. Oh well. Maybe next Spring when I upgrade.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Bad news for Canadians once again...

If you are looking to purchase music from the store and you are Canadian, forget it, it's not available (right now) for us Canucks!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else have trouble downloading the installer? I had to click the "click here to download" link to get the download. The address (when you enter the download page) tries to access "nph-itunes.hqx" - HQX being a Mac binary file.

Oh well.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I got it all setup and workin in my WinXP machine...

Sweet little program. Even neater is that It goes on the network and searches for other users with iTunes and lets you listen to their music!

A tad bit bloated and power-hungry though, even on my XP1700+

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I've had it running all evening, it's a great program...I don't like what happens when the ID3 tags aren't right on the song, and how it takes up 26 megs of resources when maximized (9 when minimized), but overall it's a "nifty" program :)

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
i can't get it to connect to my friends mac, we are on the same LAN and everything but his computer just doesn't pop up... anyone know of this? Brice

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Brice,

Did you turn off the firewalls on individual computers on the LAN? All also iTunes has to be up and running on all machines you want to share with.

Ted

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I installed iTunes on my XP Laptop last night, and I'm pretty happy with it (I'm a longtime Mac user, but need the Windows laptop for a few things; it's works). I'm having trouble burning with it though; the service doesn't seem to start automatically, and after it's started manually, it'll die after awhie. Very strange.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's a bit of a resource hog, isn't it?

The sharing aspect sounds great, but as my wife's PC runs Win98, I just realised it's utterly useless to our home setup.

Ho hum, back to NetJuke.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As a Mac user of iTunes, I am SO glad I have this app on my XP machine. I used the Creative app on my PC (which is good), but my favorite part about iTunes is it's "Consolidate Library" feature which takes all of your MP3's (no matter where they are on your system) and copies them to your iTnues folder. And not only does it copy them, but it creates sub folders according to Artist and then album. What a great organizational tool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Has anyone tried listening to the AC3 samples in the iTunes store? What great quality. (can you tell I'm giddy about this program :D)

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad it doesn't work. Everytime I go to the "Music Store" home page or to sign up or try to create a new account I get an error message
Shawn, are you running a firewall?? Did some reading this morning on it and apparently iTunes and Norton Firewall do play nice together...It needs to be disabled in order to get to the store. Have not found a work around yet though....the search continues.

Otherwise, I am liking this program more and more as I play with it (yeah, I am busy today :D )..burning CD's is a complete breeze...I have to get my other half's iPod so I can see if she can do her thing with it too instead of using XPlay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks