What's new

iTunes Movies Removed From Library, Can't Re-download! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In case you don't believe me, here are the UVVU TOS:https://c.uvvu.com/Consent/Text/GB/urn:dece:type:policy:TermsOfUse:20121024/html
DECE reserves the right to make changes to UltraViolet from time to time, with or without notice to you. Any description of how UltraViolet works contained herein should not be considered a representation or obligation with respect to how UltraViolet will always work. DECE reserves the right, from time to time, at any time, and in its sole discretion, to change the UltraViolet Terms of Use. You should review the UltraViolet Terms of Use frequently to understand the terms and conditions that apply to your use of UltraViolet. The most current version of the UltraViolet Terms of Use can be viewed at any time by visiting the UltraViolet Terms of Use page on the UltraViolet Website. Such changes shall be effective and binding on you upon your acceptance of the updated UltraViolet Terms of Use via a “click-through” consent or other industry-standard mechanism. The most current version of the UltraViolet Terms of Use will supersede all previous versions. If you do not agree to, or cannot comply with, the updated UltraViolet Terms of Use, you must stop using UltraViolet.
UltraViolet content always comes with certain rights to both download and stream such content, but the particular terms associated with any particular UltraViolet content are established by the retailer from whom such UltraViolet content is obtained. Please check with your retailer for the exact details of its UltraViolet offer
You agree that DECE may, in its sole discretion and without notice to you or liability, restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to part or all of UltraViolet if DECE believes you or a Member of your UltraViolet Account are using or have used UltraViolet in violation of the UltraViolet Terms of Use, or applicable law or regulations, or in any manner other than for its intended purpose and in accordance with all other guidelines and requirements applicable thereto. Without limiting the foregoing, DECE may restrict or suspend your access to your UltraViolet Account upon reasonable notice to you, which may be communicated electronically, for cause, which includes but is not limited to (i) requests from law enforcement or other government authorities, (ii) unexpected technical issues or problems, or (iii) if DECE reasonably believes that your UltraViolet Account has been created fraudulently, your UltraViolet Account has been accessed fraudulently, or a Member of your UltraViolet Account has otherwise committed fraud or is using your UltraViolet Account other than for its intended purpose and in accordance with all of the requirements applicable thereto. We also reserve the right, after notice to you, to terminate any UltraViolet Account that remains inactive for one year. In addition, you understand that DECE may modify or cease providing UltraViolet or any portion of UltraViolet at any time without notice. You agree that DECE will not be liable to you or to any third party for any such restriction, suspension, or termination of your access to your UltraViolet Account or rights to any UltraViolet content.ON TERMINATION OF YOUR ULTRAVIOLET ACCOUNT, WHETHER TERMINATED BY YOU OR BY DECE, YOU WILL LOSE ALL RIGHTS TO ACCESS THE ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT IN YOUR ULTRAVIOLET ACCOUNT UNLESS YOU HAVE (A) DOWNLOADED THE CORRESPONDING ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT TO AN ULTRAVIOLET DEVICE, OR (B) IF YOU OBTAINED THE RIGHTS TO DO SO, OBTAINED THE ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT IN A FORM OF PHYSICAL MEDIA, SUCH AS A DVD, IN EACH CASE ONLY AS AUTHORISED BY DECE AND THE RETAILER FROM WHOM THE RIGHTS TO SUCH ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT WERE OBTAINED AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH DECE’S REQUIREMENTS AND SUBJECT TO ANY THIRD PARTY REQUIREMENTS.
As between you and DECE, other than the rights you have obtained with respect to UltraViolet content, DECE owns all rights, title and interest in and to UltraViolet and all of the content, software, code, data and other materials thereon, and the look-and-feel, design and organisation of any aspect thereof, including any copyrights, trade mark rights, patent rights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein (collectively, the “UltraViolet Service Material”). Your use of UltraViolet does not grant to you ownership or title of, in or to any UltraViolet Service Material, UltraViolet content or any other part of UltraViolet. UltraViolet, the UltraViolet Service Material and the UltraViolet content are for your personal and non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, distribute, copy, perform, display, modify, create derivative works from, or offer for sale any information contained on or obtained from or through UltraViolet or the UltraViolet Service Material, without the express written consent of DECE. In particular, you are not permitted to republish or reproduce any part of UltraViolet on another website, in any other medium (print, electronic or otherwise) or as part of any commercial service without DECE’s prior written permission. The creation and use of an UltraViolet Account, Member or display name in connection with UltraViolet does not grant you any intellectual property or other rights therein. DECE reserves all rights in all UltraViolet Account, Member and display names and may require UltraViolet Account, Member or display names to be changed.
Your rights with respect to any specific UltraViolet content are established by the retailer from which you obtained such rights and are subject to the limitations imposed by copyright holders and other third parties. When you obtain rights to UltraViolet content, that UltraViolet content remains subject to the intellectual property rights of the copyright owner and other third parties. The UltraViolet content is being licensed and not sold to you. You may only use the UltraViolet content for your personal and non-commercial use and as expressly authorised by the copyright owner and other third parties, including the applicable retailer.
DECE WILL PROVIDE ULTRAVIOLET WITH REASONABLE CARE AND SKILL. WITHOUT LIMITATION TO THE FOREGOING, ULTRAVIOLET, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY AND ALL CONTENT, FUNCTIONS, USER INTERFACES, AND MATERIALS THEREOF OR OTHERWISE AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH ULTRAVIOLET, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," "AS AVAILABLE,” AND, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, WITHOUT ANY OTHER PROMISES, REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
Etcetracetera as Willy Wonka Would say...

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I don't know sam, I suppose I would lose my movies, just like you would if itunes closed down. This is where you tell me itunes would never close......

I think digital is where its all going and I'm betting on Ultraviolet being the primary, if not the only, format used. Itunes has too many limitations to become the standard in my opinion. Life doesn't come with fool proof guarantees but, UV states that you never lose the rights to one of your titles and is strongly backed the studios, I think its the best bet going forward.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm specifically NOT telling you itunes will never shut down, that would be foolish. What I am saying is ALL of these services have nearly identical language that says they CAN take away your licenses for any reason and there's nothing you can do about it.In the case of Disney it would have been astronomically stupid for them to block old purchases, it wasn't intentional, and it was rectified within hours. Never attribute to malice that which is more easily explained by incompetence, eh?UV specifically does NOT state what you are saying what you think they are saying in their TOS and I have highlighted to show that. Maybe their Marketing makes you feel the way you do but the legal stuff does not.Legal trumps marketing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's the thing tho, I don't believe this is a CYA situation because it has happened several times, before. Who would have thought Microsoft would leave people hanging? But they did. These services are not 'too big to fail'. These services are the first generation of digital delivery. Failure is not just an option, for the majority of digital distribution selling out is the best they can hope for and epic flameout failure is a likelihood.

I'm not paranoid about any of the services failing, but when I keep seeing that one of them is better than the other, when at the root they all have the same restrictions, yes I am going to respond to that. Money spent on any of these can and will be lost when those services go away. Even the ones I use and enjoy.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I was able to stream Beauty and the Beast on my Apple TV this evening.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I am glad Disney fixed this issue, but I don't for a minute believe it was an accident. To believe that is to beleive that Disney, iTunes, and Amazon all made the same mistake. Not likely at all.

Regarding the UV terms of service, I think you are reading too much into it. It's written by lawyers, not by the people who designed the service. They can't just terminate your account for no reason. They have to have proof of violations of laws or the terms of service. And they can terminate your account, but you still have the ability to watch the content if you have downloaded it.

ON TERMINATION OF YOUR ULTRAVIOLET ACCOUNT, WHETHER TERMINATED BY YOU OR BY DECE, YOU WILL LOSE ALL RIGHTS TO ACCESS THE ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT IN YOUR ULTRAVIOLET ACCOUNT UNLESS YOU HAVE (A) DOWNLOADED THE CORRESPONDING ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT TO AN ULTRAVIOLET DEVICE, OR (B) IF YOU OBTAINED THE RIGHTS TO DO SO, OBTAINED THE ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT IN A FORM OF PHYSICAL MEDIA, SUCH AS A DVD, IN EACH CASE ONLY AS AUTHORISED BY DECE AND THE RETAILER FROM WHOM THE RIGHTS TO SUCH ULTRAVIOLET CONTENT WERE OBTAINED AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH DECE’S REQUIREMENTS AND SUBJECT TO ANY THIRD PARTY REQUIREMENTS.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Well, I don't know about others on this forum, but I do not immediately open everything I purchase, instead waiting for an appropriate time to watch with friends or family. I keep track of expiration dates on digital copies to make sure I download them in time, with iTunes always being my digital copy of choice. I don't worry about Disney titles as the digital copy rarely has an expiration date. Therefore I was somewhat agitated at the thought of losing my BATB digital copy and opened it this evening to see if it would still download upon redemption of my code. I am happy to report that it downloaded fine even though it is not available for purchase in iTunes. I always download my copies and do not rely on the cloud. Given recent events I never wil. Likewise my Lion King copy is safely on my hard drive.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Leo Laporte from The Tech Guy Show was discussing this issue in Yesterday's podcast, and he came to the same conclusion, and Scott, the Editor of AVS forum was inclined to agree with him. So it's not just my belief. It's based on history, this has happened before, and I wouldn't bet that it won't happen again.

Scrubelicious

Auditioning
Real Name
Scrub
I don't know sam, I suppose I would lose my movies, just like you would if itunes closed down. This is where you tell me itunes would never close......

I think digital is where its all going and I'm betting on Ultraviolet being the primary, if not the only, format used. Itunes has too many limitations to become the standard in my opinion. Life doesn't come with fool proof guarantees but, UV states that you never lose the rights to one of your titles and is strongly backed the studios, I think its the best bet going forward.
I know this is a old dusty thread but looking from todays standpoint... I don't think iTunes will be closing down soon or in the near Future. It is to intergraded in the products and it means harder sales.

As a fact no media that is sold in the past 40 years is 100% Guarantied for life experienced. The industry will change the hardware on you so will have to buy re-buy your media. Next up 4K... ;) Welcome to the Digital Age where nothing is guaranteed.

By the way Apple saves all purchases Request and are available through iTunes account.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Neither GREED or THE DEVILS years ago and they are not available for purchase anymore on ITunes. I purchased both and they are still in my library.

Scrubelicious

Auditioning
Real Name
Scrub
Ken Koc said:
Neither GREED or THE DEVILS years ago and they are not available for purchase anymore on ITunes. I purchased both and they are still in my library.
Do you mean Ken Russell The Devils? You should still be able to download the movies. There are cases that the Distributor will pull a film fro iTunes what for ever reason. Has happened here in the EU with Unfinished Business but then was back available after three months.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Even Vudu is subject to any changes from the content providers...as those who bought and paid for the extended BEDKNOBS & BROOMSTICKS learned when, some months later, that Director's Cut was gone and replaced by the theatrical version with no notice or refund to the purchasers. Or what if Vudu does what CinemaNow did, changing all moviees from Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 to just 2 channel stereo. No matter how you slice it, genuine ownership is physical, not digital.

Scrubelicious

Auditioning
Real Name
Scrub
RJ992 said:
Even Vudu is subject to any changes from the content providers...as those who bought and paid for the extended BEDKNOBS & BROOMSTICKS learned when, some months later, that Director's Cut was gone and replaced by the theatrical version with no notice or refund to the purchasers. Or what if Vudu does what CinemaNow did, changing all moviees from Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 to just 2 channel stereo. No matter how you slice it, genuine ownership is physical, not digital.
Don't agree on the physical... isn't Blu-Ray digital ;)

Jokes on the side. I never heard that they will replace a purchased movie with another they might replace it for future purchases. The Audio is a tuff one. Yeah I rather stay with reputable provider. ;)

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Scrubelicious said:
I know this is a old dusty thread but looking from todays standpoint... I don't think iTunes will be closing down soon or in the near Future. It is to intergraded in the products and it means harder sales.

As a fact no media that is sold in the past 40 years is 100% Guarantied for life experienced. The industry will change the hardware on you so will have to buy re-buy your media. Next up 4K... ;) Welcome to the Digital Age where nothing is guaranteed.

By the way Apple saves all purchases Request and are available through iTunes account.

I agree. Itunes isn't going anywhere. I do think their market share will shrink considerably as more and more people get into digital. Eventually all storefronts will be part of UV but, my guess is Apple will be the last to join, if they ever do.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I agree. Itunes isn't going anywhere. I do think their market share will shrink considerably as more and more people get into digital. Eventually all storefronts will be part of UV but, my guess is Apple will be the last to join, if they ever do.
And then we also have Vidity coming on full steam ahead in 2016. More options for those who purchase media.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
We have been told for years that an UltraViolet download format is coming in "the months ahead." But months and months and now even years have gone by and nothing. At this point, I don't believe it will ever be released, and I have to face the fact that I'll never be able to download my ultraviolet movies. I will just have to get used to streaming only. Streaming isn't so bad, it just means that I have to use Vudu's interface, and not one that I can customize. Which by the way, you can't do with iTunes either.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
We have been told for years that an UltraViolet download format is coming in "the months ahead." But months and months and now even years have gone by and nothing. At this point, I don't believe it will ever be released, and I have to face the fact that I'll never be able to download my ultraviolet movies. I will just have to get used to streaming only. Streaming isn't so bad, it just means that I have to use Vudu's interface, and not one that I can customize. Which by the way, you can't do with iTunes either.
I decided not too long ago that I am going to wait for a download to own format before I make any more purchases via UV. Im wanting a "to own" format and i Dont care if its UV or Vidity or whatever. IF it doesn't show up I will stick with my physical media purchases, itunes downloads and my Plex Software and server for my media. I do believe eventually, after losing money and customers hollywood will finally get it right but the question is when?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks