What's new

iTunes for Windows - what a mediocre piece of software (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I didn't even know that was there! Like I said, total noob.

Yes, I agree, it does not appear that you can kill the genre from the browser options. I thought you wanted to kill it from the library window. Sorry about that.

But on a positive note, the Browser is a pretty cool way to limit what you see in the library, and sort through your music. Again, a noob observation.

I think a few users probably nailed the over crux of the matter. If all you want to do is use iTunes as your sole digital music software solution, and you only are dealing with iPods, its probably fine (and as a new user, I think it is fantastic).

But if you have more varied needs, then maybe there are better solutions.

BGL

anthony_b

Screenwriter
As a windows XP user I find iTunes great. From the main library you can drag music to custom folders(playlist) I've created. I've burned about 10 cd's without a coaster yet. I also import music and mix it with the songs I've purchased.

Eric Del

Auditioning

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> General Tab, uncheck show genre when browsing.
Is that what you're looking for?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Eric, I think that remedies one of his complaints. I've only started using it and didn't try the browsing until recently and it didn't really suit my current habits. At this point I tend to want specific artists so I just type the name into the search field. Good spelling and accurate typing winds up being a requirement this way, but I've always been better than average with that.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

Oh. Now I understand. Yes, I always had that off so I wasn't aware that showed up in Browse mode.

As for sending files, FTPing them, or moving them around, I've found simply dragging the files you want to the desktop works fine.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Micke, while I agree that I would like more flexibility in the way files are organized, there is a solution to this particular dilemma. Select all of the songs in an album, right-click and choose Get Info. Select Yes under "Part Of A Compilation" and make sure the field is checked. Then click OK. iTunes now organizes the files thusly:

G:iTunesCompilationsalbum

and all of the associated files are put into that folder.

And to listen to a whole album with different artists without having to create a playlist, simply choose All under Artist in the browser, and then select the Album name. This works even without the Compilation attribute checked.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
Rememeber, it's also a first version port to windows. Rumor is the next version is going to be out in late April (on the ITMS's anniversary.). Hopefully Apple straightens out a couple things. I love it on my mac and love having it on Windows, but it is a major memory hog. Then again, it used to be on the Mac as well and they've fixed that.

As for the whole "Arist Name-Album-Track #-Song.mp3" file names, I'm so glad they're gone for me. I can't even remember the last time I tried to find an mp3 or AAC file on my computer because of iTunes. If I really do need the file itself just right click and say "show file" and there it is. Hopefully iTunes 5 is even better.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the answers to many of my complaints! This made it a little more appealing to me. I just don't understand why they had to make it so difficult to hide the "Genre" field, they should have just let me do it by right-clicking on the field header bar like it's done with the library window...

Craig, thanks for those tips! If I start using iTunes again (if they can fix the problem with burning and let me customize imported file names) I will be sure to use some of those tips.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone used iTunes to burn MP3 CDs? I usually use Nero, but I don't have it on the PC I'm using for music now.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
My favorite feature? Using the Rendezvous library sharing thing.

I have various Macs around the house all connected to the network either wireless or wired. At any computer in the house, I can bring up the entire library and get on with my business. The "server" just shows up as a playlist.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
That actually bugged the hell out of me, since I didn't know it did it automatically (at least it could have asked me if I wanted to do this).

I connected to a VPN that I only am connected to sporadically, and all of a sudden all the songs from the other iTunes PC showed up... but since I'm rarely connected to that VPN, so now I have thousands of songs that can't be played listed, they now just sit there unplayable.

Maybe there's a way to get rid of them short of manually going over every title and figuring out whether it's on my PC or the VPN PC, but I didn't find any way. I'm sure it's hidden in some checkbox though. ;)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Weird. When I turn off the server, the shared playlist disappears. Maybe the Windows version uses a kludge for Rendezvous.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Is my PC with Nero the only one that can make a working CD-R 1/10th of the time? Worst program on my PC ever.:thumbsdown:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This computer file name vs. track/artist name controversy brings up an old issue I've heard of for years: the characteristics of Apples that make them easy to use for one group of people is what bugs the hell out of the other group.

Most engineers I talked to at a hydraulics QC job I had once hated Apples because the Apples wouldn't let them do whatever the engineer wanted; while the managers & production floor employees liked them because they didn't have to tell the computer every little thing to do to accomplish the task at hand.

LJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Well said, Lance.

While I consider myself above average in terms of PC literacy (I do tech support for a maker of digital temperature control systems), working with a computer is not on my list of fun things to do. I just want my software to do what I need it to do, without requiring that I also have a degree in computer science to make it work.

In that regard, iTunes delivers in spades. I have had it and the iPod for all of two weeks, and it continues to exceed my expectations AND delivers with features and functions that make it a very pleasant user experience.

Then again, if one does get one's rocks of doing a deep dive into the OS, and wants to do things their own way, then iTunes is maybe not the right choice.

Then again, reading some of the threads over at Ipodlounge, maybe you can "have it your way" with iTunes, if you really want to.

BGL

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My reasons for liking iTunes:

1) The "Share" option where anyone on a network can view your library and play the songs on thier computer (without having the files physically on their system)

2) The organization of files on my hard drive. If I rename an artist, album, etc. the folder (on the hard drive) gets renamed as well.

3) Importing MP3's into the program is great because iTunes creates the necessary folders and stores the MP3 in it, rather than other apps that pile all the files into one big folder.

4) The "comments" category where I can add comments and then sort the columns accordingly. I use the comments to designate which of my files are MP4's so I can easily see (in the library view) which are MP3's and which are MP4's.

5) The fact that you can customize start and stop points to each song which then get cropped if you burn them to a cd.

6) The separate volume (and equalization) controls for each song that allow you to increase the volume on 'softer' tracks.

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
7) ripping multiple tracks as one track, ideal for classical pieces (if you want 1 symphony as 1 track (for random play)), or books on cd (which typically force a track every 3min).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
8) ...and this is a big one...The fact that us 'cross-platform' folks don't need to learn 2 separate apps. when jumping between Mac and PC. I like how I have one program that works on both platforms.

9) The "Show Song File" option in the drop down menu when you right click (or control click on a Mac) on the song and the folder (on your HD) that contains the song opens up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks