What's new

iTunes as Central Music Server (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hello -

I'm currently using iTunes as a server to stream music to different places in my house. I currently stream from the server to various Macs in the house and to the main system using Tivo and Home Media Option. I also plan on adding an Airport Express to enable another stereo. The server that houses the music is in the basement. It has an external firewire drive and runs iTunes in shared mode as well as the Tivo Desktop client.

My question to anyone else doing this: Is there a software product available to remotely administer the instance of iTunes on the basement in the server? For instance, every time I want to rip a new CD, I need to go into the basement and do it. Every time I want to add a playlist, I have to go into the basement to do it. If I want to go through and edit ID3 tags, I need to go into the basement. You get the idea. I want to do these things from anywhere in the house. Thanks for any ideas.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop would work from the Macs. Likely have to rip locally though and transfer to the server.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks