What's new

iTunes 9 and iPod Classic Compatibility Issue (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I thought I would mention this in case anyone was thinking about upgrading to iTunes 9.
I upgraded over the weekend, loading in a bunch of new songs, and when I plugged in my 80 GB iPod classic, while the computer recognized that the iPod was plugged in, iTunes didn't. So, I can't sync.
On the Apple support boards, there are hundreds of complaints with people having the same problem. So far, Apple hasn't announced a fix, or said there is a problem. Since some of the complaints go back to September, they are being rather slow in addressing the issue.
Some who contact Apple are said they are told that the iPod is faulty (and I had just synced two days before the update with no problem) or some other issue, like the USB cable. But this is clearly an issue with iTunes 9.
So, I thought I would warn anyone thinking about upgrading to iTunes 9, and you have a Classic iPod, you might want to wait a bit.

ibnozn

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
That stinks. In the interim maybe there's a third party freeware or "cheapware" you can use to sync your libraries. I use one to pull songs off my iPod onto my office computer.

My iPod classic cables are incompatible with my iPhone too by the way, which might be why they suggest checking hardware. Not that it would have made any sense to make them compatible of course. Oh well, good luck though.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think the issue is updating the iPod's software.

If you haven't, and many haven't, when you upgrade iTunes, they won't be compatible.

But if you have, it should work fine.

It is disappointing as Apple hasn't admitted it is a problem and offered some sort of fix. Those that go to Genius bars in stores or call Customer Support are told there isn't a problem (despite the Apple support boards being flooded with comments about it).

mtr939

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Ricci
I had the same problem. I had to factory reset my ipod and it worked again, but that in turn causes another issue in itself. I had bought a few ipod classic games for my ipod, namely Spore, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Phase, but the new Itunes no longer supports these games. It was only after I reset my ipod that I realized this, and there's no way to re-download them because ipod classic games no longer exist in the itunes store. Glad to see them supporting their original breakout consumer base from the portable media boom edit: just realized this post is 4 years old and my reply is irrelevant. my bad. I was referring to itunes 11 btw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks