What's new

iTunes 7 -- major step backwards? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Okay, it turns out my fans were clogged with dust. I restalled iTunes 7, and while it's still more processor intensive and memory intensive than an MP3 progam should be, performance is no longer affected. Listening to Abbey Road gapless in iTunes was a surprisingly thrilling experience.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Just to throw this out there for anyone else having troubles. It seems like there is a bug with iTunes 7 - I was having a hell of a time getting iTunes to see my iPod. I did a search and it seems like there is an issue with iPod Service manager. I found this in the Apple discussions:Adam, when I was searching the Apple discussions, I saw several thread where people were complaining about songs taking a while to start playing. I didn't read them, but you may want to look through the discussions to see if some suggestion will help your problem.

I am not sure what your slow down is, but I have a brand new/high end laptop and even when I scroll through songs with the album art showing, it's not very quick. Going back to the classic view is much faster.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I had a weird thing happen with my iTunes 7 upgrade -- all my videos disappeared from my iPod - from the "videos" section, anyway. That's three full-length movies and three full TV Show seasons. But the files re-appeared under "music" and were accessable only as audio in the iPod (through iTunes they did play as video)!

The only way to fix this problem is copy all the hidden "music" folders off your iPod temporarily to your computer (thankfully I had 40 gigs free), reset the iPod (wiping all data) then re-import everything from the copied folders to iTunes, and then from iTunes back to the iPod. Of course I had to manually re-set all my television videos to "TV Show" (there's no option to change the video type of more than one file at once!)...

But gotta say, gapless playback is amazing. It and the brightness adjustment are the two best features added to 1.2 firmware.

I do not use the automatic cover art option. They don't always show up on the iPod. But when it does automatically find art for you, right click once on the art in the window at the bottom left, choose "copy", then select all the songs on the album at once... then right-click and choose "get info"... in the next window, right click on the artwork square and "paste" the artwork, then click "OK". That will guarantee the cover art is permanently integrated into every track, every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks