What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
In case anybody is curious because it's something we talk about a lot and it remains a bit confusing...

I had "Psycho" in HD on iTunes. My MA account showed that I purchased it from Vudu in 2013* and owned it in HD.

I just did the gifting it to myself trick for $4.99 and my MA account now shows that I own it in 4K HDR and that I purchased it from iTunes in 2020.

So there.

I'm going to go through my MA account today and see what resolution I have for titles I know are available in 4K. Any title still in HD I'll add to my iTunes wishlist so I can keep my eye out for sale prices. The free iTunes upgrade is nice but I wouldn't mind them being up-to-date in MA if the price is right.

*worth noting that I began collecting digital 7 years ago and have yet to lose a single movie even after UV went away. Cool.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does it now?
Nevermind. CBS AA does not support 4K as I thought.

What’s the video and audio quality like?
While Amazon Prime Video and Netflix offer a sizable selection of content in 4K Ultra HD with HDR, CBS All Access doesn’t step above 1080p Full HD.

The sound options aren’t much better, either — a small number of devices support CBS All Access titles on Dolby Digital surround, with the rest resorting to a basic two-channel stereo-sound output. For comparison, both Amazon and Netflix support Dolby Atmos (though in very small supply) and plenty of titles in surround sound. So, even if it has its perks, CBS still can’t compete with some of the big names in the streaming industry.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Where’d you get that info @Mark-P ?
EB58BA67-B775-4F50-99CC-5AE2A3D25B24.jpeg

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
And apparently To Catch a Thief is also available in 4K on CBS All Access??? Anybody currently subscribed who can confirm this?

If you have the Apple TV app you don't need to be a subscriber to see what they have - just fire up the app and hit "Browse and Watch Clips" at the bottom.

They do not have "To Catch a Thief" in 4K.

That UHD designation is not for CBS All Access - it's for Amazon. Notice it also says X-Ray next to it - that's a feature of Amazon.

They're just telling you the movie is also available on CBS.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is very confusing? When you search both versions show up.
5DBF55C5-88A8-4C5B-BCB5-02CD5A5C276A.jpeg

Of course you can’t watch it.
On my UHD tv that’s what I get but it isn’t playable or Rentable or buyable.

809C0911-2777-477B-8B52-E39F0CA1F742.jpeg

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
So Ken Koc reported in a thread where nobody would see it, that Amazon now has To Catch a Thief in 4K (purchase version only, not the subscription one). So that answers the question of whether Paramount was going to release it. Now we have to see if our iTunes copies get upgraded or if this will be exclusive to Amazon.

Edit: It's on FandangoNow too, so it's coming to iTunes! Download the current version now if you don't want to lose it!

If you have the Apple TV app you don't need to be a subscriber to see what they have - just fire up the app and hit "Browse and Watch Clips" at the bottom.

They do not have "To Catch a Thief" in 4K.

That UHD designation is not for CBS All Access - it's for Amazon. Notice it also says X-Ray next to it - that's a feature of Amazon.

They're just telling you the movie is also available on CBS.
My CBS All Access To Catch A Thief is in 4k

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Amazon does separate listings for different versions. Search for "Chinatown" you'll get 3 results...

I’m aware of that.
That’s why it’s confusing.
One of those Chinatowns is unplayable the other two are buy or rent and one is UHD.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My CBS All Access To Catch A Thief is in 4k

Thanks for confirming. No one would believe me. So how does the 4K look? As bad as the new Blu-ray?

I'm telling you guys, respectfully, that CBS All Access does not offer To Catch a Thief in 4K.

Really.

Here is TCAT on CBS All Access playing HD...

5C9D8E53-4F30-4243-B54E-A0023125D1E6.jpeg

And yes, watching through Apple Channels will show 4K if that is what you're watching...

A8A1011B-17BB-4F93-9B17-64E78C88769D.jpeg

...or if you are watching in HD, but Dolby Vision, in the case of CBS' Picard, it will show that as well.

2685835E-C9DC-4E67-936E-E933A56ABFBD.jpeg

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think it may be dependent upon where you subscribe to CBS AA. Amazon channels may be the key. No matter though, I’m confident that my iTunes copy will upgrade in the very near future and I’ll be all set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Did you watch and your tv says it’s 4K?

Thats great for people who have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks