Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Probably just one of those weird streaming service glitches that we've all come to know and love.
When I opened up AppleTV+ app on my 4KATV, Beetlejuice isn't listed as a 4K/UHD title in my 4K/UHD library. However, when I go to the movies tab on AppleTV+, it plays back in 4K/DV. Also, it's listed on the iTunes app in 4K/DV and plays back the same.

Reactions: dpippel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
When I opened up AppleTV+ app on my 4KATV, Beetlejuice isn't listed as a 4K/UHD title in my 4K/UHD library. However, when I go to the movies tab on AppleTV+, it plays back in 4K/DV. Also, it's listed on the iTunes app in 4K/DV and plays back the same.
By the way, it's the same with "The Goonies".

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
It's still showing as HD only for me and it plays back in HD, yet other titles that recently upgraded to 4K, like the Bill & Ted films, are showing as 4K. I purchased Beetlejuice directly from iTunes. It shows up as 4K DV if I search for it in the TV app under Movies, but it's HD only in my Library. Very strange.

IMG_3743.jpeg IMG_3744.jpeg

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's still showing as HD only for me and it plays back in HD, yet other titles that recently upgraded to 4K, like the Bill & Ted films, are showing as 4K. I purchased Beetlejuice directly from iTunes. It shows up as 4K DV if I search for it in the TV app under Movies, but it's HD only in my Library. Very strange.
I've noticed that there can be more than one version of a film on iTunes at the same time. For example, there are two separate listings for Christine, one in 4K HDR with extras, and one in HD with no extras.

Reactions: dpippel

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
I've noticed that there can be more than one version of a film on iTunes at the same time. For example, there are two separate listings for Christine, one in 4K HDR with extras, and one in HD with no extras.
There's 2 versions of Bette Davis' "The Letter." Never been able to tell any difference between the two...

Reactions: Ken Koc

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For those of you who have issues with stuff showing up in 4K right away, this is actually by design. The TV app is designed to hold your collection in memory. This is because it takes a little bit of time to load your library from scratch, the more titles you own the longer it takes. People want to open the app and have their stuff sitting there waiting for them, ready to go in an instant. So Apple accomplishes this by keeping your library in memory even when the app is not it use. Now the side-effect is that you don't instantly see when a change is made to a title. Apple will periodically refresh your collection to implement these changes, but I have no idea how often they do that. The only way to force a refresh of your collection is to log out of your account and then log back in which will reload your entire library in its most current form.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cda1143

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would hope that rebooting your device would accomplish the same thing. The TV app is quite problematic on both macOS and the ATV4K. Apple really needs to devote more resources to making it work better.
Not just in those environments, but maybe just worst in those -- and wait til they release on Windoze as well, haha...

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
My copy hasn’t gone 4k yet either.
still wanting on The Birds as well from the Hitchcock set. Has anyone had that one update to 4k yet?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I would hope that rebooting your device would accomplish the same thing. The TV app is quite problematic on both macOS and the ATV4K. Apple really needs to devote more resources to making it work better.
You would think, but it definitely hasn’t worked for me in the past as everything stays in memory. An account logout always does the trick, though. A simple “refresh library” button would be a miraculous fix, wouldn’t it?

Reactions: Sean Thompson

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Platoon has been upgraded to 4K/HDR.
Wondering if that was expected. Woulda bought it last week when it was on sale, if so -- no real need to wait since it's not MA-eligible (and there are no rumors that'd change in foreseeable future).

Anyhoo, I suppose it'll probably go on sale again in the not too distant future...

_Man_

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also upgraded to 4K is the separate release of Gladiator: Extended Cut

Osato

Senior HTF Member
My copy hasn’t gone 4k yet either.
still wanting on The Birds as well from the Hitchcock set. Has anyone had that one update to 4k yet?
my copy of the goonies has updated to 4k.

has The Birds updated to 4k for anyone yet?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melissagreen