What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (3 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IIRC, FandangoWhateverItIsTheseDays had A Quiet Place/A Quiet Place 2 4K bundled for $9.99 a couple of weeks back. I grabbed it.

That was probably just before my time, heh -- really didn't start buying into digital until ~1-1/2 years ago.

Oops! I somehow completely misread that to mean a couple years back, LOL -- maybe the mention of Fandango, which no longer exists as digital storefront, threw me off a bit...

Anyway, for just the extra couple bucks, I'm glad to have the disc as well at least in this case...

_Man_

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That was probably just before my time, heh -- really didn't start buying into digital until ~1-1/2 years ago.

Anyway, for just the extra couple bucks, I'm glad to have the disc as well at least in this case...

_Man_
A Quiet Place II was released in theatres early summer 2021.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't remember it being 4K on iTunes yet.
It did on October 6th for a period of days.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Ragtime is once again in 4K and Dolby Vision.
The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are also in 4K Dolby Vision.
It would great if Harold and Maude was also upgrades to 4K on December 7th.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That was strange since I checked it again just before making my last post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another strange thing, but maybe not so much as we now have a pattern to what Warner is doing with some of their titles. My HD digital of "The Road Warrior" has also upgraded to 4K/DV. That digital is still available for purchase, but in 4K. However, my HD digital of "Beyond Thunderdome" has remained in HD and is no longer available to purchase. Another 4K/DV digital of "Thunderdome" was added and is on sale for $9.99.

It goes back to what Mark and I were discussing earlier in this thread. These studios and iTunes, particularly with Warner appear to be changing their digital practices by adding newer digitals that are in 4K and removing older digitals from purchase in HD without upgrading them to 4K. This is no longer a conspiracy theory, but is becoming an actual business model change for iTunes and their so-called free 4K upgrades. I imagine this practice will continue to expand in the future. Screw them, as I will now change my purchasing practices and buy less of iTunes digitals.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It’s interesting that Warner seems to have no interest in upgrading their SD titles to HD and having the option repurchase them. That doesn’t make sense either. I’d rather pay for an HD upgrade than a 4K upgrade.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I don't think anyone upgrades SD to HD.

I don't understand what Warner's is doing differently with iTunes. We're still getting the upgrades but they are making new SKUs. It's puzzling.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think anyone upgrades SD to HD.

I don't understand what Warner's is doing differently with iTunes. We're still getting the upgrades but they are making new SKUs. It's puzzling.
We're not getting the free 4K upgrades on all titles with "The Outsiders" being an example. Both older HD digitals for the two film versions are still HD.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
We're not getting the free 4K upgrades on all titles with "The Outsiders" being an example. Both older HD digitals for the two film versions are still HD.
That only just came out last week, right? Willy Wonka and A Clockwork Orange took some time to upgrade but it did happen eventually.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Since they seem to be doing some kinda mix right now, maybe they're still just testing the waters to see if there would be enough backlash if they completely killed the free 4K upgrades.

That only just came out last week, right? Willy Wonka and A Clockwork Orange took some time to upgrade but it did happen eventually.

People probably need to complain (to iTunes support, et al) like I (and maybe some others) did a while back for Willy Wonka if you want any chance of stopping this new practice me thinks... I imagine some others complained for ACO too...

I'd suggest waiting a bit, but be prepared to complain to them if these new cases don't change after a couple weeks...

When I complained to them about Wonka, I definitely told them I'd change my buying habit if that's really their new position (of no longer guaranteeing free 4K upgrades). At the time, they apparently seem to be leaning away from the guarantee and even made reference to a vaguely written Apple policy on the matter.

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Another strange thing, but maybe not so much as we now have a pattern to what Warner is doing with some of their titles. My HD digital of "The Road Warrior" has also upgraded to 4K/DV. That digital is still available for purchase, but in 4K. However, my HD digital of "Beyond Thunderdome" has remained in HD and is no longer available to purchase. Another 4K/DV digital of "Thunderdome" was added and is on sale for $9.99.

It goes back to what Mark and I were discussing earlier in this thread. These studios and iTunes, particularly with Warner appear to be changing their digital practices by adding newer digitals that are in 4K and removing older digitals from purchase in HD without upgrading them to 4K. This is no longer a conspiracy theory, but is becoming an actual business model change for iTunes and their so-called free 4K upgrades. I imagine this practice will continue to expand in the future. Screw them, as I will now change my purchasing practices and buy less of iTunes digitals.
I just redeemed the codes that came with the Mad Max Anthology set on Movies Anywhere (well, the last three films - Mad Max is an MGM release, so Warner is providing a Vudu 4K code). Road Warrior redeemed in Apple TV in 4K as Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior with Dolby Vision but only 5.1 audio, while Thunderdome redeemed in HD. Fury Road upgraded to 4K with DV and DA (the original UV code that came with Warner's initial UHD disc release had redeemed in HD).

This looks like an Apple issue, as all three titles transferred over to Vudu in 4K (with DV and DA) without issue.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ragtime is $7 so I grabbed it.

Also semi related Outsiders Complete Novel was added to Hbo Max in 4K
It’s also labeled as having Dolby Vision but that doesn’t work on my Atv4K right now.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
It’s interesting that Warner seems to have no interest in upgrading their SD titles to HD and having the option repurchase them. That doesn’t make sense either. I’d rather pay for an HD upgrade than a 4K upgrade.
Do you mean Warner Archive or Warner Home Video? Different corporations and different films. I've been unaware of Warner Home Video titles still in SD. If you're referring to the many Warner Archive Bly-ray titles which are only available on iTunes in their previous SD versions, I'm with you - I'd gladly pay for the new HD versions! My guess is that for now, WA is limiting their new transfers to discs to maximise revenue. At some point in the future, these will be available on iTunes. Like it or not, discs are going the way of CDs and LPs.

According to current practice, these will be paid upgrades. As Neil points out - it doesn't seem iTunes has ever done free upgrades from SD to HD. If you want an HD (or 4K) version of a film already in your library in SD, you have to buy a new one or redeem an HD code.
I don't think anyone upgrades SD to HD....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ragtime is $7 so I grabbed it.

Also semi related Outsiders Complete Novel was added to Hbo Max in 4K
It’s also labeled as having Dolby Vision but that doesn’t work on my Atv4K right now.
It played in Dolby Vision on my ATV4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks