What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (7 Viewers)

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I just bought BUTCH CASSIDY for $7.99 on 4k digital.

I know fans of discs won't be happy I am saying this, but these 4k exclusives are really helping to drive digital interest. You won't see Disney putting that title out on 4k disc but at least they are happy to do it digitally.

Disney had nothing to do with the 4k digital release of BC&TSK. It was released 4k digital over 2 years ago.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disney had nothing to do with the 4k digital release of BC&TSK. It was released 4k digital over 2 years ago.

Thanks for the correction. Had no idea. Thought this was a first-time 4k release.

Bought A PLACE IN THE SUN. Have no time to watch it immediately. Hope it's the new transfer

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is it the uncut version now?

My guess is that when the actual disc streets, they’ll upgrade the iTunes extras offerings on the title and include the uncut version there as part of the bonus features, similar to how theyve treated some other titles with multiple cuts.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My copy of vertigo updated to 4k. I had purchased the universal Hitchcock set in July from iTunes. It seems to have taken a while longer to update.

my copy of psycho is also showing 4k.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Do we know if there has been any additional footage added in recent years?
Apparently this is the original unedited version.
E8D43EDF-6774-47D2-88A1-44CE3C6D52BC.png

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Apparently this is the original unedited version

It being the original unedited version we knew - what I'm talking about is if there is any new footage to replace the inserted stills...

(if you don't know the history of Lost Horizon, it's a long story)

I was hoping that since they put out a 4K version that they had found some more footage that we only have stills of now and put it back in.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but iTunes Canada is still using the older HD master, so I fear it's probably the same in the US.

That's okay. Listen, at least I know. Never saw the film, so at least I can watch it shortly and if it's eventually going to be updated to a better transfer it still works out for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It being the original unedited version we knew - what I'm talking about is if there is any new footage to replace the inserted stills...

(if you don't know the history of Lost Horizon, it's a long story)

I was hoping that since they put out a 4K version that they had found some more footage that we only have stills of now and put it back in.

It hasn’t been updated since around 2014 - that’s when the 4K master was created which was subsequently used for the Blu-ray. In that latest master, more material was found of the High Lama than the version that was on the DVD, retiring the previously used stills during his section. The 16mm material was also integrated much more seamlessly thanks to digital tools.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It hasn’t been updated since around 2014 - that’s when the 4K master was created which was subsequently used for the Blu-ray. In that latest master, more material was found of the High Lama than the version that was on the DVD, retiring the previously used stills during his section. The 16mm material was also integrated much more seamlessly thanks to digital tools.

That's what I was looking for - thanks!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The three Hitchcock films I purchased on iTunes last summer at $5 each have upgraded to 4K on the Apple TV app.

What is the rule on those upgrades migrating out to Movies Anywhere in 4K?

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The three Hitchcock films I purchased on iTunes last summer at $5 each have upgraded to 4K on the Apple TV app.

What is the rule on those upgrades migrating out to Movies Anywhere in 4K?

They don't. They only migrate if they're already 4K when you bought/redeemed them in iTunes. That's why I decided to save my remaining (mostly older Universal) iTunes DC codes for when those titles to go 4K (before redeeming) -- unfortunately, that didn't occur to me when I was catching up on part of an old batch of iTunes code redemptions ~1.5 months ago (that I didn't bother in the past since I was just using Vudu before), so will miss out on Spartacus and several others (for migrating the free 4K upgrade thru MA).

And with the latest rumor about Paramount possibly joining MA in a few months(?), it's throwing another (little) wrench into my already messy plan(s) to gorge on this week's iTunes sales, LOL...

_Man_

Last edited:

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
interesting. Mine hasn’t updated yet. I bought the universal set over the summer. Vertigo and psycho just updated to 4k for me yesterday.
It must roll out slowly or something. My Psycho and Vertigo updated last week. Still waiting for my Rear Window to update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CoolMovies
    Recent bookmarks