What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (2 Viewers)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I bought a couple animated shorts from iTunes that would look great in 4K but I don't think they're still available on my new iMac running Big Sur. This bothers me and regarding digital movies - "...Apple, Amazon, Google are all competing to be our provider. Even Microsoft is belatedly getting into the mix. They all have their perks, but one unsettling fact remains true with all of these providers: you can't simply download your movie and use it on any device you want." Is this still the case? If so, I'll keep collecting discs.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...They all have their perks, but one unsettling fact remains true with all of these providers: you can't simply download your movie and use it on any device you want." Is this still the case? If so, I'll keep collecting discs.
You can download iTunes movies to a computer, but at a maximum resolution of 1080p.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Star Trek's II and IV have upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision and I'm sure TMP and III will upgrade soon. I'm wondering if the longer cut of II will get Dolby Vision. It's currently HDR10.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Star Trek's II and IV have upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision and I'm sure TMP and III will upgrade soon. I'm wondering if the longer cut of II will get Dolby Vision. It's currently HDR10.
First 4 upgraded so far.
hwvent checked the dir cuts yet.
$20 well spent.
I just playback the first four movies which were all in 4K/Dolby Vision. However, the stand-alone digital of the director's cut of Star Trek II is still 4K/HDR. Also, that version which is an extra with the theatrical cut is still only in HD. I expected it to be as we've seen that beforehand with other movies that have two versions of the same movie digitally in which one is an extra bonus feature.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Also, that version which is an extra with the theatrical cut is still only in HD.
That's the old HD transfer from 2002. It differs from the 4K in the extra shot of them climbing up the ladder. The old version has dialogue there while the new version removes the dialogue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the old HD transfer from 2002. It differs from the 4K in the extra shot of them climbing up the ladder. The old version has dialogue there while the new version removes the dialogue.
Whether it's the old HD scan or not, it's not going to get upgraded to 4K is the point I was trying to make here. You have to separately purchase the 4K version of the Director's cut.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to but if the Dir cut of TMP doesn’t upgrade I’ll be buying the stand alone disc, I believe that will be 4K yes?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh that’s unfortunate.

I’m looking to the review now, is it there and at least HD?

Looks like it comes to 4K next year.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
TWOK Director's Edition that comes as a bonus with the theatrical cut is HD only. It's a transfer from around 2002. This Director's Edition is available as a separate purchase on iTunes. That's in 4K and HDR10.

The Director's Edition of The Motion Picture is a bonus with TMP theatrical cut and is only SD as that's how it was finished. A 4K version is being worked on now.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh that’s unfortunate.

I’m looking to the review now, is it there and at least HD?

Looks like it comes to 4K next year.
The remastered TMP director’s cut will be a Paramount+ exclusive to start. They haven’t said how long the exclusivity window will last before it’s available for purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks