What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like I added the Hobbits on MA so,I’m out of luck on that one but added the Rings on ITunes.
I guess those will upgrade when it’s released.
I bought all of the Hobbit and Rings movies whether theatrical or extended on iTunes. Doing so gives me the choice to buy these upcoming 4K discs later on with better pricing, but more likely bypass the December 1st releases and just wait for the ultimate 4K release that is rumored to happen in 2021.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes. I actually did not add the Rings on iTunes I bought the extended set on iTunes.
I added the the Hobbitses on Jan ‘19.

not sure why I put them in MA.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh, also at this point I would only buy the discs now for any movies over digital if it included a different audio such as DTS-X or something we wouldn’t get on digital.

looks like the Hobbitses and Ringses won’t have anything different from the digital.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This week, I noticed iTunes changed their artwork for "V for Vendetta" in which it's the same as the upcoming November 3rd 4K disc release.:)

Edit: The same with "Moonstruck" an upcoming Criterion BD derived from a new 4K scan.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looks like I added the Hobbits on MA so,I’m out of luck on that one but added the Rings on ITunes.
I guess those will upgrade when it’s released.

i should’ve picked all 6 films on iTunes during the last sale. I’m content to wait now for another sale.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I’m upset that my Back to the Future movies didn’t get upgraded, even though I bought them through iTunes years ago. Many, many, many years ago I redeemed an SD dc for the trilogy. I then rebought them to upgrade to HD years later. That should have gotten me the 4K upgrade but, nothing so far. I’m not re-buying them again.

As far as Disney goes, I haven’t checked on my Apple TV yet but many of mine are no longer listed as HD on my iPhone, I hope they didn’t downgrade. A few even lost their extras on my iPhone. Nothing so far has upgraded to 4K so far, even the first 6 SW films which I 100% know I purchased through iTunes.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m upset that my Back to the Future movies didn’t get upgraded, even though I bought them through iTunes years ago. Many, many, many years ago I redeemed an SD dc for the trilogy. I then rebought them to upgrade to HD years later. That should have gotten me the 4K upgrade but, nothing so far. I’m not re-buying them again.

As far as Disney goes, I haven’t checked on my Apple TV yet but many of mine are no longer listed as HD on my iPhone, I hope they didn’t downgrade. A few even lost their extras on my iPhone. Nothing so far has upgraded to 4K so far, even the first 6 SW films which I 100% know I purchased through iTunes.

I recently redeemed by BTF BD boxed set. It's strange sometimes the description says 4k and sometimes it does not. Currently, none are 4k transfers. I bought the 4k disc set anyhow. I am guessing that after street date all digital copies should go 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recently redeemed by BTF BD boxed set. It's strange sometimes the description says 4k and sometimes it does not. Currently, none are 4k transfers. I bought the 4k disc set anyhow. I am guessing that after street date all digital copies should go 4k.
I redeemed the same BD boxed set and the 2nd and 3rd movie redeemed in SD. When I play both movies the Dolby Vision light comes on my receiver, but I can tell they're not in HD or 4K. Both movies are showing SD on my Vudu, Fandango Now and MA accounts as SD.

The first movie I bought iTunes HD digital and that upgraded to 4K/DV beforehand. It's really the only movie I wanted in 4K anyway so I took a chance and lost with those other two movies.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Are you absolutely sure you rebought them AT iTunes? Because the SD redemptions got bumped up to HD when Movies Anywhere started up, but that bump doesn't qualify as a "purchase". Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. My actual repurchase of the bundle through iTunes upgraded to 4K, with no problem.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Are you absolutely sure you rebought them AT iTunes? Because the SD redemptions got bumped up to HD when Movies Anywhere started up, but that bump doesn't qualify as a "purchase". Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. My actual repurchase of the bundle through iTunes upgraded to 4K, with no problem.
Except that Apple bumped many of those SD redemptions back down to SD last year and refused to bump them back up to HD. Happened to me on Pineapple Express.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ah ha! I was doubtful back when you posted this:
I am shocked!

Was reading this thread about the Blu-ray BTTF upgrades.

So, I looked on my shelf and pulled down my 25th Anniversary Blu-ray collection

I went to iTunes, and on a self-dare, I put in the redeem codes and lo' and behold, they redeemed!

I have the first two movies in 4k digital and the 3rd in HD.

I am guessing the third will be upgraded to 4k at some point.

Now the question is whether I should cancel the 4k disc set I have on preorder
because all reports had been that the 25th Anniversary box digital copies were SD. But I took you at your word. I guess you have now discovered that those redemptions did NOT give you 4K. When you redeem the new codes that come with the 4K discs you will get bumped up to 4K.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got this email from Apple this evening:

The HD Disney movies you purchased have been upgraded to 4K HDR.

Whether you bought them on iTunes or the Apple TV app, your HD Disney movies have been visually enhanced to 4K HDR at no extra charge.

I was just about to post this. I'm sure there must be some exceptions where the title isn't available in 4K however.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, Apple just seems to be a mess w/ this stuff these days, especially when it comes to the Disney 4K updates, but not only that... and some issues don't seem limited to the Roku version of AppleTV app (which is what I use so far).

In particular, I think I'm noticing an issue w/ how the AppleTV playback (at least on Roku) somehow syncs/reflects whatever the title's launch page might rightly or wrongly indicate (whether it's one of the various library/watchlist menus, the specific title's dedicated page or the pop-up menu during playback, which can sometimes have diff specs).

For instance, the pop-up during playback (upon using the Roku back button) seems to think I only have SD version of Black Panther (even though I originally redeemed a 4K DC and it otherwise recognizes that), seems to try to only use the upperleft 480p(?) portion of the feed when I continue playback from there, and then proceeds to enlarge that upperleft portion to fill the 4K frame to feed my display. This continues to happen until I do something that forces the app to fully realize once again that I have the 4K version (something like playing back from a launch page that fully recognizes I have the 4K version). Something like this also happened once or twice before w/ Guardians of the Galaxy (on my then-HD-only setup... before all the recent Disney 4K updates), but I never got around to figuring out why. Of course, I could still be mistaken about what's really going on w/ this issue, so...

I'm also running into an issue w/ how the app reacts to my new HDMI switcher -- none of the other Roku apps have this issue. It seems to get stuck whenever I resume playback of anything -- at least when the Roku is set for 4K HDR display -- until I back up the playback a bit before continuing. Took me quite a while to realize that's probably what's happening -- and I even had Amazon replace the switcher thinking the first one was just defective causing the problem...

_Man_

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I got that same email from Apple and I think that is a pretty deceitful email. Very few of my Disney movies got upgraded when the email makes it sound like they all did. Only the most recently purchased movies, which I had purchased through Vudu in 4K, got upgraded and a handful of others purchased through iTunes. Unfortunately, most of my Disney movies came from redeeming codes through the old Disney Movie Rewards site which, as we all know, don’t qualify for the free upgrade. Others were from the old disc based redemptions that were SD and already got upgraded to HD. Nice little loop holes for Disney and Apple. Anyway, I know that’s how it works but, that email simply makes it sound like all my Disney movies were upgraded when in reality, less then a third were upgraded.

Thankfully all my Star Wars movies, except TFA, got upgraded. TFA was probably one of my last Disney Movie Rewards redemptions. I may have to rebuy it just to complete the 4K set. I doubt I’ll rebuy much of anything else, at least not as long as we sub to Disney Plus.

I sure do wish Apple made it easier to rebuy or purchase a 4K upgrade for movies. Most people who do not visit forums like this will probably never even know there is a better version available because once purchased, only the version you own is ever displayed. That’s why, IMO, they should just upgrade everything to the best version available, regardless of where a code was redeemed. If they aren’t even going to show you that a better option exist, then there is little chance people will rebuy some of there movies. So, if the point of holding back free upgrades is not to try and sell one, why hold it back in the first place. The studios can’t say we want them to buy it again when Apple doesn’t even present that option.

Oh well, rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks