What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
By the way, a few minutes ago I finally redeemed my 4K Spartacus code on MA and it's in 4K on MA and iTunes. It's still showing only in HD on Vudu.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Somewhat unrelated: I'm pretty sure I may have posted this before (but can't remember what thread it was in), but apparently Amazon has finally begun to offer Fox, Universal, and Warner movies in 4K, as many of my movies that were redeemed as 4K on Movies Anywhere are slowly being upgraded to 4K on my Prime Video library, including a few Disney and Sony titles they missed previously.

Recent upgrades include 1917, Glass, Cars 3, Alien, Alita: Battle Angel, Scoob!, Gandhi.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This evening I log onto a notebook each of my 90+ iTunes Disney titles to verify their specs. All of my Star Wars movies are in 4K including "The Last Jedi" which propagated to 4K some time between this morning and evening. The only Iron Man movie that is in 4K is the first movie. Both, 2 & 3 are still in HD. They both should be in 4K as I redeem my 4K codes after buying the 4K discs. They are both in 4K on MA and Vudu so I expect them to propagate to 4K on iTunes at some time. Other than those two titles, all of my Marvel titles are in 4K on iTunes.

Several of my Disney titles are in HD, but have Atmos. At this moment, I think those titles were codes redeemed from BD purchases. Also, I think all of my Disney titles that I bought on 4K disc are in 4K on iTunes except for those two Iron Man movies plus one more title. For some reason, the digital code that came with my 4K disc purchase of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales didn't redeem in 4K on Vudu, thus, it's showing HD on Vudu, iTunes and MA. More to come as I take a close look at all of my Disney titles on iTunes.
My Iron Man movies have upgraded to 4K. Also, CheapCharts has started listing 4K specs to Disney titles.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the vast majority of my Disney titles were redeemed/purchased via other retailers, so they're stuck at HD. Maybe a half-dozen that were either purchased through iTunes or redeemed from UHD discs as 4K in MoviesAnywhere have upgraded.

However several titles that haven't yet upgraded to 4K on AppleTV are showing HDR on the picture side and Dolby Vision on the audio side, so it's probably just a matter of time for those.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kinda odd how they would offer HDR separately from (and before) 4K like that even though that's almost certainly just a mistake. Wonder how that happens, especially as often as it seems to...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Let me get this straight, some of those Disney movies in HD have HDR/Dolby Vision applied to them? I'm not talking Dolby Atmos for the audio as I've seen that beforehand on iTunes with other titles from various studios.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Let me get this straight, some of those Disney movies in HD have HDR/Dolby Vision applied to them? I'm not talking Dolby Atmos for the audio as I've seen that beforehand on iTunes with other titles from various studios.
I’m not seeing anything like that. I think it’s just 4K titles that aren’t 4K for him because they migrated to iTunes thought MA.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That may actually make sense, considering the two new FireStick HD models have HDR10 capability.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I’m not seeing anything like that. I think it’s just 4K titles that aren’t 4K for him because they migrated to iTunes thought MA.

OR maybe it's just some wonky updates (whether just the info or the actual streams) to the AppleTV app... at least on Roku -- IIRC, @Adam Lenhardt only uses a Roku, not ATV4K.

I'm definitely seeing some wonkiness w/ various 4K updates on my AppleTV apps for both my iPhone and Roku.

For instance, I just noticed both The Lincoln Lawyer and The Firm not listing properly as 4K titles on my iPhone's AppleTV app despite being 4K (and on sale at $5) according to my iTunes app (and CheapCharts) on same iPhone. The Lincoln Lawyer also lists as having Atmos (but not 4K) on my AppleTV app -- iTunes says 4K/DV/Atmos.

During playback of Black Panther on my Roku's AppleTV app, the abbreviated info of the pop-up menu (from using my Roku's back button) also indicates it not being 4K/DV/Atmos (and not even HD), but it definitely seems to be playing as 4K and at least HDR10 (according to my projector) while everything else also says 4K/DV/Atmos, including the app's main info for the title -- the pop-up info is obviously wrong as it doesn't even say I have HD, which should've been the case before the new update. And yes, I originally redeemed the 4K DC from my 4K disc on Vudu --- and it's in 4K on both my Vudu and MA accounts.

Seems just the AppleTV app being flaky, which has been the case for some time now -- I'm also having trouble getting it to work properly on my Roku w/ my new HDMI switcher (though the switcher may deserve some of the blame as it doesn't seem to work quite 100% correctly w/ other 4K HDR sources either, but much much better than w/ the AppleTV app)...

_Man_

Sean Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
OR maybe it's just some wonky updates (whether just the info or the actual streams) to the AppleTV app... at least on Roku -- IIRC, @Adam Lenhardt only uses a Roku, not ATV4K.

I'm definitely seeing some wonkiness w/ various 4K updates on my AppleTV apps for both my iPhone and Roku.

For instance, I just noticed both The Lincoln Lawyer and The Firm not listing properly as 4K titles on my iPhone's AppleTV app despite being 4K (and on sale at $5) according to my iTunes app (and CheapCharts) on same iPhone. The Lincoln Lawyer also lists as having Atmos (but not 4K) on my AppleTV app -- iTunes says 4K/DV/Atmos.

During playback of Black Panther on my Roku's AppleTV app, the abbreviated info of the pop-up menu (from using my Roku's back button) also indicates it not being 4K/DV/Atmos (and not even HD), but it definitely seems to be playing as 4K and at least HDR10 (according to my projector) while everything else also says 4K/DV/Atmos, including the app's main info for the title -- the pop-up info is obviously wrong as it doesn't even say I have HD, which should've been the case before the new update. And yes, I originally redeemed the 4K DC from my 4K disc on Vudu --- and it's in 4K on both my Vudu and MA accounts.

Seems just the AppleTV app being flaky, which has been the case for some time now -- I'm also having trouble getting it to work properly on my Roku w/ my new HDMI switcher (though the switcher may deserve some of the blame as it doesn't seem to work quite 100% correctly w/ other 4K HDR sources either, but much much better than w/ the AppleTV app)...

_Man_
I’ve had so many issues with the TV app, it’s the Ping of Apple apps.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks like I added the Hobbits on MA so,I’m out of luck on that one but added the Rings on ITunes.
I guess those will upgrade when it’s released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSpilot