Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
To Catch a Thief new master is now on iTunes. That means 4K will happen in the next day or two. Audio changed from 2.0 to 5.1 and titles are now yellow instead of that ghastly pink. Framing now matches the more heavily-cropped Paramount Presents Blu-ray.
IMO, from the ten minutes I sampled, the colors look better in this new master. I'll watch the entire movie again once it becomes 4K.

Reactions: Osato

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
IMO, from the ten minutes I sampled, the colors look better in this new master. I'll watch the entire movie again once it becomes 4K.
Yeah, I‘m not seeing the apparent abomination everyone was talking about with the new Blu-ray. Is it possible that the reason it took so long to get updated at the digital retailers, is that Paramount actually fixed whatever went wrong with the Blu-ray? I think when the 4K HDR kicks in it will be even better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I‘m not seeing the apparent abomination everyone was talking about with the new Blu-ray. Is it possible that the reason it took so long to get updated at the digital retailers, is that Paramount actually fixed whatever went wrong with the Blu-ray? I think when the 4K HDR kicks in it will be even better.
Anything is possible, the only thing that caught my eye in a negative manner is the framing of the movie title. It looked crooked to me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I have the 4K set ordered.

How does iTunes handle these digital codes if one already has the movie in their account already?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
To Catch a Thief new master is now on iTunes. That means 4K will happen in the next day or two. Audio changed from 2.0 to 5.1 and titles are now yellow instead of that ghastly pink. Framing now matches the more heavily-cropped Paramount Presents Blu-ray.
Thanks for the heads up!!!

cda1143

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thank you so much guys. Looking forward to your further opinions on this one.

cda1143

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
IMO, from the ten minutes I sampled, the colors look better in this new master....
Yeah, I‘m not seeing the apparent abomination everyone was talking about with the new Blu-ray. Is it possible that the reason it took so long to get updated at the digital retailers, is that Paramount actually fixed whatever went wrong with the Blu-ray?...
I agree wholeheartedly about the color. I much prefer this master for color; but unfortunately Paramount has not fixed what went wrong. After only a few minutes of back to back with the former blu-ray, I can easily see the abomination everyone was talking about. Compared to the former transfer, this one is shockingly devoid of detail.

And before the comments about streaming vs. discs, my iTunes feed is fine. While doing this comparison, I also compared the new Classics UHD set with the respective iTunes versions (HD to blu; 4K to UHD). iTunes holds up perfectly with those films. I gave TCAT iTunes several restarts just to be sure.

Viewed on it's own, it doesn't look that bad. Many people, especially those with smaller displays will be perfectly happy. I think the color is absolutely superb; but the amount of detail that has been scrubbed from this transfer is unforgivable. I have no idea what Paramount is thinking.

Very disappointing

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I agree wholeheartedly about the color. I much prefer this master for color; but unfortunately Paramount has not fixed what went wrong. After only a few minutes of back to back with the former blu-ray, I can easily see the abomination everyone was talking about. Compared to the former transfer, this one is shockingly devoid of detail.

And before the comments about streaming vs. discs, my iTunes feed is fine. While doing this comparison, I also compared the new Classics UHD set with the respective iTunes versions (HD to blu; 4K to UHD). iTunes holds up perfectly with those films. I gave TCAT iTunes several restarts just to be sure.

Viewed on it's own, it doesn't look that bad. Many people, especially those with smaller displays will be perfectly happy. I think the color is absolutely superb; but the amount of detail that has been scrubbed from this transfer is unforgivable. I have no idea what Paramount is thinking.

Very disappointing
Well, I'm not going to argue with you as I haven't watched the movie in its entirety nor compared it to my Blu-ray. I'll wait to do so if this iTunes stream upgrades to 4K.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, I'm not going to argue with you as I haven't watched the movie in its entirety nor compared it to my Blu-ray. I'll wait to do so if this iTunes stream upgrades to 4K.
I’ve been checking it a gazillion times a day and it JUST NOW upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision! Go for it, Robert! The Dolby Vision really changes it. The yellow titles now look gold!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I’ve been checking it a gazillion times a day and it JUST NOW upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision! Go for it, Robert! The Dolby Vision really changes it. The yellow titles now look gold!
Hell, I just checked it earlier this evening it was still in HD. Anyhow, I'm having a bout of insomnia so it looks like movies night has started.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

Very disappointing
Well, I guess we just have to disagree because I loved the look of this 4K/Dolby Vision stream. From now on, I will watch this 4K stream instead of my 2012 Blu-ray. I haven't compared the two which I might do when I have some time, but I thought the stream looked beautiful.

It should be interesting to read what others think of this new 4K/DV stream.

• Agreed
Reactions: Tino

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
What movie is being discussed in the last half dozen or so posts?

I see reference to at least 4 different movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
What movie is being discussed in the last half dozen or so posts?

I see reference to at least 4 different movies.
To Catch a Thief! The iTunes HD digital has finally upgraded to the new 4K/Dolby Vision. The 2020 BD derived from this new 4K Master was highly criticized by many people. I'm happy with this new 4K stream.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz