Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh my! It looks and sounds beautiful!
I wasn't sure you had Back to the Future on iTunes, Robert. I know that the codes that came from the original Blu-ray set redeemed in iTunes in SD so they weren't 4K upgradable, but I had just repurchased the bundle for $14.99 to assure a 4K bump.

Reactions: Osato

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
My Back to the Futures are back to HD.
There is a reason why I decided to watch the first film yesterday in 4K/DV & DA. The reason is October 20th, the official release date. With that said, based on your post, I sampled the first film this morning, it's still in 4K, the second movie indicates 4K too while the third movie hasn't changed from HD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I wasn't sure you had Back to the Future on iTunes, Robert. I know that the codes that came from the original Blu-ray set redeemed in iTunes in SD so they weren't 4K upgradable, but I had just repurchased the bundle for $14.99 to assure a 4K bump.
Yeah, I bought the first movie on iTunes. I'm not a fan of the other two movies so I won't be buying these in 4K even if discounted.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, I bought the first movie on iTunes. I'm not a fan of the other two movies so I won't be buying these in 4K even if discounted.
I get where you’re coming from, though I am a big fan of the trilogy. I still remember seeing it for the first time in a theater in ‘85, being so caught up in the whole movie that I became oblivious to my surroundings (a very rare occurrence) and when the end credits began to roll, I was startled, thinking it’s over already? It seemed like the fastest 2 hours I‘d ever known. I had a similar experience with part 2 mainly because we were revisiting well known scenes from part 1 from a completely different perspective. Part 3 however was a let down, as it just didn’t quite come together and fulfill my expectations, but over the years I came to accept and love it anyway.

There is a reason why I decided to watch the first film yesterday in 4K/DV & DA. The reason is October 20th, the official release date. With that said, based on your post, I sampled the first film this morning, it's still in 4K, the second movie indicates 4K too while the third movie hasn't changed from HD.
I actually expect these may stay in 4K. If this was Warner, they would get yanked back for sure, but I think Universal won’t even notice or care that iTunes broke their street date. If it does get yanked it will be because of other retailers crying foul.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
i bought the digital set this summer as well. Mine has not upgraded to 4k yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I get where you’re coming from, though I am a big fan of the trilogy. I still remember seeing it for the first time in a theater in ‘85, being so caught up in the whole movie that I became oblivious to my surroundings (a very rare occurrence) and when the end credits began to roll, I was startled, thinking it’s over already? It seemed like the fastest 2 hours I‘d ever known. I had a similar experience with part 2 mainly because we were revisiting well known scenes from part 1 from a completely different perspective. Part 3 however was a let down, as it just didn’t quite come together and fulfill my expectations, but over the years I came to accept and love it anyway.
The two sequels just didn't do it for me especially the last movie. I have the trilogy on BD so I'm good.

Britton

Screenwriter
My Back to the Futures are back to HD.
I had to sign out and back in to get Parts I and II to show up in 4K. If you redeemed the code from the 30th Anniversary Set you will get upgraded. Not the case for the 25th Anniversary code.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I redeemed in 2012 with the codes for the 25th set.
The first two movies added Atmos but are hd. Third movie HD no Atmos.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am shocked!

Was reading this thread about the Blu-ray BTTF upgrades.

So, I looked on my shelf and pulled down my 25th Anniversary Blu-ray collection

I went to iTunes, and on a self-dare, I put in the redeem codes and lo' and behold, they redeemed!

I have the first two movies in 4k digital and the 3rd in HD.

I am guessing the third will be upgraded to 4k at some point.

Now the question is whether I should cancel the 4k disc set I have on preorder

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I am shocked!

I went to iTunes, and on a self-dare, I put in the redeem codes and lo' and behold, they redeemed!

I just redeemed them and mine only redeemed in SD!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I am shocked!

Others have reported that the 2015 30th Anniversary Blu-ray codes redeem in HD in iTunes and qualify for 4K upgrades. The 2010 Blu-ray codes redeemed in SD for me back in 2010. Perhaps redeeming them this late got you an HD redemption? Anyway, congrats on the free 4K upgrades!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Others have reported that the 2015 30th Anniversary Blu-ray codes redeem in HD in iTunes and qualify for 4K upgrades. The 2011 Blu-ray codes redeemed in SD for me back in 2011. Perhaps redeeming them this late got you an HD redemption? Anyway, congrats on the free 4K upgrades!
My 25th Anniversary BD set that I bought in October, 2010 had digital codes I didn't redeem until this afternoon. I only redeem the codes for the 2nd and 3rd movies today. Anyhow, on MA, Fandango and Vudu those redeemed movies show SD only. At first glance on iTunes, they indicated SD too. However, when I played Back to the Future II on my ATV using my iTunes library that movie plays back in 4K/Dolby Vision. There is no 4K designate in the title description nor is there one for HD which usually tells me it's in SD. However, on both of my LG OLED displays, when I actually play that stream, the Dolby Vision light comes on and it plays back in 4K/DV. Also, Back to the Future III looks to be in HD, when I playback that stream on both OLED displays as it too, has no HD designate which usually indicates its in SD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
By the way, "The Last Castle" with Redford upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision today. I only had the DVD so I bought the iTunes HD digital for $4.99 in 2019, so that's another 4K free upgrade.

Reactions: Sean Thompson

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My 25th Anniversary BD set that I bought in October, 2010 had digital codes I didn't redeem until this afternoon. I only redeem the codes for the 2nd and 3rd movies today. Anyhow, on MA, Fandango and Vudu those redeemed movies show SD only. At first glance on iTunes, they indicated SD too. However, when I played Back to the Future II on my ATV using my iTunes library that movie plays back in 4K/Dolby Vision. There is no 4K designate in the title description nor is there one for HD which usually tells me it's in SD. However, on both of my LG OLED displays, when I actually play that stream, the Dolby Vision light comes on and it plays back in 4K/DV. Also, Back to the Future III looks to be in HD, when I playback that stream on both OLED displays as it too, has no HD designate which usually indicates its in SD.
Sounds to me like you’ve got SD. I have a couple of titles like that in my collection where I only own SD and they play back in SD with HDR. The 2009 JJ Abrams’ Star Trek is one of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Sounds to me like you’ve got SD. I have a couple of titles like that in my collection where I only own SD and they play back in SD with HDR. The 2009 JJ Abrams’ Star Trek is one of them.
It could be as I haven't watched more than 45 seconds for each of them because I'm not really a fan of those movies and wonder why I bought the trilogy on BD to begin with. I guess I was more of a completist back then.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16