iTunes 3.0 less random?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WoodyH, Jul 18, 2002.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I'm noticing something odd about iTunes 3.0 - and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to describe it, but I'll give it a shot.

In essence, the 'random' feature seems to be a whole lot less random. I've got a library of ~5600 songs, and I like to just pop on random and see what comes up next. Since I installed iTunes, however, I've noticed that things don't seem to 'jump around' in the music library as much.

When I have my library sorted by Artist, iTunes will move more-or-less alphabetically down the list. When it happens upon a series of tracks by a single artist on a single album, it will randomly bounce through those - however, it won't bounce _out_ of those until it's played every track from that particular album. Once it's done with that album, it starts moving its way down the library again. However, just to make sure that it's even more odd, it will occasionally jump down a few lines - but then it tends to jump back up a few lines to hit those tracks that it just skipped. Basically, 'random' is now 'pesudo-semi-kind of random if you don't mind going mostly alphabetically unless I feel like something different'. Not what I'd expect.

I did notice that there is a new option in the Preferences: Advanced pane - Shuffle by Song or Album. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me determine whether one or the other option makes any difference.

Sorting my library by Song Name doesn't seem to make a difference - it _looks_ like it's bouncing around more, as the scroll bar moves up and down, however it's still staying within tracks all on one album and one artist. Once it leaves that album, it continues working its way through songs alphabetically by artist (I've had it on random for half an hour, pressing the 'next track' button repeatedly, and still haven't heard a song by an artist that does not begin with the letter 'A').

I hope I've been able to convey what's going on somewhat clearly - as much as I can figure it out, at least. Is anyone else having a similar problem - or is it just me? It feels like whatever algorithm is used for the random play feature has gotten borked somewhere along the line. As I use the random feature more than I'm likely to use any of the new goodies in iTunes 3.0, I'm tempted to downgrade....

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Try using the Shuffle by Song setting - that's what i use, and it works fine for me.
    Also, maybe it has something to do with smart playlists. Have you checked that?
    iTunes 3 is cool! [​IMG]

3. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

So far, switching the preference between "Shuffle by Song" and "Shuffle by Album" doesn't seem to make any difference at all in how iTunes is choosing what to play next. Additionally, so far I'm not using the Smart Playlists - this is all happening when I've got the full Library displayed. It's a wierd one, that's for sure.