ITT-Tech or regular University

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Troy*H, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone, I am looking to go back to school this spring, but I am not really sure where I should go. I am 20 and have been out of school for a year now (I went to a University for a year didn't like it and didn't go back this year). I have been waiting to get a plumbing apprenticeship but it seems like two or more years for that to come around(it is outstanding money if you start up your own plumbing company, I do some accounting work for two plumbing company's one big and one small and they both are well over 500k a year net).

But anyway, I have been thinking about going back to school to become an system adim or something else IT related. I hear a lot about ITT-tech. Has anyone gone here? What are my chances out of school with a bachelors degree from ITT against a regular 4-year degree graduate? Would the degree from ITT-tech get me anywhere? Anything other input you can think of from these "other" colleges (ex. University of Phoenix) would help me a lot! I am just worried if I go back to a regular university I will not be able to pay the bills. What would you do?

Thanks for your advise!
    Troy

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I know it's not the advice you're looking for, but I would stick with plumbing. Sounds like there's more money and probably less frustration, and more job security. Have you ever had a sysadmin/tech support job before, are you sure it's something you would like?

All I can offer on the school side of the question is that ITT Tech is no good. I've met 4 people from there (not a representative sample, admittedly) and they all had less practical knowledge than other people who I worked with that were more or less self-taught; hobbyists, cs students, or just experienced in the field.

3. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

Its just the wait that is making me second guess it. One of my close friends dad has his own plumbing company. He was going to give me a job and then an aprenticeship(down the road) but since the damn banks raised the rates on house loans building in my area has really slowed down. I have never done any sys adim work before but have a decent knowledge about computers. Umm lets see...fairly knowledgable about UNIX, know C++, Visual Basic, HMTL[​IMG] and lots of other tid bits...originally I was going to go to school to be a programmer, but that gets to frustrating for me.

Are there any other areas in computers you would suggest taking a look at. Its either plumbing or something with computers. I was and still am thinking system adim but am open to other avenues. I think the only thing I would not like is getting called to work in the middle of the night(g/f dad is a sys adim and always gets called at like 3 or 4 am)

Thanks for the advise
    Troy

4. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

A college degree will always be a good thing to have, but while you are going to school you could also study and get like your MCSE certification. IT certifications seem to carry a lot of weight and it will definitely get you in the door.

About 7 years ago a friend of mine got his Novell certification the summer after his freshman year in college. He got a job soon after getting his certification and didn't come back to school the next year.

My neighbor is in his mid 30's and just got his college degree from Devry. He is a network admin and got his job by having IT certifications.

Just some food for thought.

Neal

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Sadly the certifications don't mean much, but they will help you get a job. Costs bucks to take the test if you don't already have a job, though.

Honestly the service side of stuff doesn't have a lot of opportunity for career advancement, which is why I'm sticking with programming. If I can get enough cash together I'm going to open a store someday, but until then I have to do something.

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I don't think saying the certifications don't mean much is completely accurate. Some of them may just get you in the door, but some can make you some good cash.

I have a relative that used to be pretty high up at one of the IT companies and he interviewed a young lady with no college degree and only certifications. She was 20. Got a job as a consultant making $180/hour.

Some of the certifications go much more in depth than any college class can go.

But agreed, they do cost money.

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

*By the way I thought I would add I am from Wisconsin and as of right now I don't plan on relocating anywhere anytime soon...just thought it would be useful for ideas of jobs to go into*

Just wondering, do sys adims get paied as well as I am hearing. I am hearing 50k to 70k with 0-3 years exp. To me it just seems a little high. My g/f dad makes around 100k but he is retiring in another 5-8 years I think. He also works at GE which is a pretty big company. How well would this job pay?

What other options are out there...that pay well(100k or more with exp..sorry if this is out there but I need my Audi S4[​IMG] ) I was thinking about programing..but then again I hear they get paid like crap. If you can think of anything just throw it out there.

So if I go with sys adim should I go to a 4 year school and get a bunch of certifications, or just go to a tech school (itt teach) and still get a bunch of certifications?

Thanks again for the help and info
    Troy

9. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

just another question..I was looking at salary.com a couple days ago and it showed that a web designer makes like 40k starting. Have any of you found that to be true? If so that almost seems ridiculous. I learned html when I was in 7th or 8th grade and java in 8th. It was held at a community college and I received the best grade in the class *pats self on back*...if thats the case maybe I should look into that some more.

10. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I agree that the IT market is very saturated right now and I'm sure there are MCSE's out there looking for jobs. But I guess its just about getting lucky and somehow getting in the door. Or maybe it just depends where you are. But my neighbor landed his 60k/year sys. admin job a little over a year ago with no college degree (he was still working on it at the time) and the certifications he had were MCSE, A+ and Network+. So, it can be done.

I wouldn't doubt that you can make 40k starting as a web designer. If I wasn't pursuing other things right now, there is a company here that pays their phone tech support 40k/year starting and all you need is your A+ certification.

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

13. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I can comment on ITT in general.

I went to ITT Tech (A.A.S. CAD Tech) and have nothing but good things to say. I don't have any knowledge of their IT curriculum, but I can tell you without a doubt the courses I took for my specialty were quite a good deal more comprehensive than those taught at local colleges. One of my friends from way back when was still trying to figure out what he wanted to to do and he took some CAD courses and I compared his courses to mine and there was no contest. In the same time span (1 semester, 1st semesters compared) he was drawing basic shapes (not kidding)while I was doing complete strucural floorplans.

I've been steadily employed since graduation (1991) in my field and don't regret for a second not going to a "regular" college. I've kept in touch with a few people from my graduating class and all have similar experience. I only wish they had their Bachelor's programs up and running at the time.

IMO, degrees in technical fields aren't quite as important as actual experience and that's where technical colleges have a slight edge. My curriculum didn't include English and History(I'm not knocking their overall place in education, but in my field neither of those types of courses would be relevent). It did include lot's of math (Physics, Geometry and Algebra) and career managament courses. My tuition money went to classes that were directly related to my field, exaclty the things I needed to get where I am at this point.

But, just like any school, you only get out of it what you put it.

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

General info:
    I went to school for programming and well decided I didn't like it after a year out of school. I am now a PC tech with a 4 year computer science degree and some certs. Certs make a difference...well at least from what I have seen.
    I have 2 other close friends that due the same as me...one has no school all hands on experience and luck of the draw.
    The other guy has a 2 year tech degree and had some hands on experience before he got his full time job.
    If someone asked me what mattered.....Certs and tech school..skip the 4 year universities and go to tech get some certs and try and work part-time even at a low level paying tech job of some sort.....it all helps in the long run trust me.....I got denied an interview once because at the time I didn't have A+ certification...but I had plenty of hands on experience but that didn't matter to them.

Enjoy...

15. Troy*H

Troy*H Stunt Coordinator

I found out there is a Tech Skills center close to me. www.techskills.com Whats your opinion on this place. They have a lot more certs than my local tech schools. I am gonna talk with my g/f dad and see if GE would hire me and what I would have to have in order to get a job their. I know for a fact he never went to college, but then again he is getting close to retiring.

Tech skills kind of seems expensive. How do those rates compare with other places you have seen. Thanks for the help and info!

Troy