What's new

Its's Official: BAMBI Comes to DVD March 1, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Disney's 'Bambi' will leap onto DVD

The Prince of the Forest and his foot-thumping pal are finally coming to DVD. Disney's 1942 classic Bambi, stashed in the studio's vaults for eight years, becomes available March 1 on a special two-DVD edition ($30; VHS, $25).

Digitally restored video and surround sound will transform the tale of the young deer and his long-eared buddy, Thumper, for home viewers, says Disney's Gordon Ho. "It's amazing how much more vivid and clear it looks from the color and clarity standpoint," he says.

And animation buffs will fawn over one of the special features, "Walt's Annotated Bambi," which molds a vocal reading of the studio founder's own notes from the film's development with footage and production drawings. "Viewers will experience, firsthand, the production of Bambi as it is happening through Walt's words," Ho says.

Also included are additional scenes — in various stages of development — and a sneak peek at the upcoming Bambi II: Great Prince of the Forest, a direct-to-DVD feature in the works."

Read the rest of Mike Snider's Coming Attractions at:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ractions_x.htm

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Excellent. My most anticipated (and favorite) Disney animated title...finally!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
This is my favorite Disney film (well, after FANTASIA), so this is great news. BAMBI is the only VHS item still remaining on display in my movie collection.... it'll be a great pleasure to retire it.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Isn't this supposed to be a Platinum Title? If so, don't they release only one Platinum title a year, in October? What would be next year's Platinum if not Bambi, The Little Mermaid?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

It's anticipated to be Cinderella, I believe.

Bambi is right up there with the greatest classics on film of all time. It's really going to be terrific to finally have it available on DVD!

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

rolleyes.gif

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Bambi is supposed to be a Platinum title -- they bumped the PE schedule to two-a-year starting in 2005. Bambi and Cindy in 2005. After that, there is speculation (everything is speculation until an official announcement) that Little Mermaid and The Jungle Book will come in 2006, saving 2007 for Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Funny that there's a Bambi II in the works. They made that joke in a Robert Smigel cartoon a few years ago.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Bambi II: Great Prince of the Forest, a direct-to-DVD feature in the works"

"Face:Rolleyes"

Yeah -- that's kind of like finding a rat turd floating in a glass of fine champagne, isn't it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

No you aren't. You have to like every film that comes out. I'm sorry. That's just the way it is.

smile.gif

JUNGLE BOOK isn't one of my favorites, either, but I think it has some nice moments and is historically significant for being the last animated film in which Walt had a direct hand in its creation. Of course by this time Walt had pretty much let animation take a backseat in his mind. He was more involved with the theme parks and the "Florida Project" in particular.

So is PETER PAN going to be released again anytime soon? The last edition didn't stay on the shelves for very long. For some reason, I thought it was a Platinum title. I guess not.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Weren't the Platinum titles chosen based on the sales figures for the VHS titles? I heard that was how The Jungle Book made the cut instead of the more artistically worthy Fantasia or Sleeping Beauty or even Pinocchio. Don't get me wrong, I like The Jungle Book, but its a minor classic among the Walt-era films.

I don't think it really matters, though, since the discs for Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty were better IMHO than the ones for The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. The modern movies just don't have the historical goodies that make the older ones so interesting. Really looking forward to Bambi and Cinderella next year, as they will likely put some good material on the sets!

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Will get this on opening day. Sounds like some great extra features are in the works.

Bambi II? Why must we continue to desecrate the classics with a steady stream of detritus?

David

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Weren't the Platinum titles chosen based on the sales figures for the VHS titles?"

Yes. DisneyCo simply took their top-ten highest-selling titles and called them "Platinum Editions" while everything was supposed to be lumped into the Gold Collection, all of which were (originally) slated to hit shelves in just 24 months. This proved to be something of a *whoops!* error on Disney's part. They misread the DVD market and took a lot of grief for it. They scrapped the Gold Collection thing, but they've maintained the Platinum thing...for now anyway. It wouldn't surprise me to see them drop the banner at some point.

"I heard that was how The Jungle Book made the cut instead of the more artistically worthy Fantasia or Sleeping Beauty or even Pinocchio. Don't get me wrong, I like The Jungle Book, but its a minor classic among the Walt-era films."

I agree, though it sure has its charms. Fantasia was given a Platinum-Edition-esque treatment on DVD, though. The Fantasia Anthology remains one of the all-time best DVD box sets. The real crime was the indifferent treatment given Pinocchio.

"I don't think it really matters, though, since the discs for Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty were better IMHO than the ones for The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. The modern movies just don't have the historical goodies that make the older ones so interesting. Really looking forward to Bambi and Cinderella next year, as they will likely put some good material on the sets!"

Bambi is long overdue for celebration, and that disc should be a joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.