What's new

It's... (1 Viewer)

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering about purchasing Monty Python's Flying Circus since I am a huge fan of them.
One thing I've heard about is the quality on the disc. Some of the things I have heard from people is that it is not good quality and not remastered. IMDB also says that some of the episodes are edited and are not complete. I did used to have the Flying Circus laserdiscs and some VHS tapes but I sold the LD's (heck, I sold all of my LD's, but I did have only about 35 of them) and plus the VHS tapes are 13 years old and worn. I remember those were from the PBS airings and a bit edited. I would like to know if the DVD's are unedited or not. Also does the Proust Competition have the word "masterbaution" or is it edited. Also, what is the case for The Black Spot?
Next and last thing I want to know about is how I should buy the discs. Many of the individual discs are OOP and that leaves only the boxes. There are two different kinds, 7 mini boxes with two discs that cost about $30 or the complete collection which I saw at my Suncoast for (gulp!) a whopping $199! I am a hardcore MP fan and would love to have just the whole collection but I can't shell out that much money... I think the 2-disc box is good in a way. If I buy the first two boxes I have the complete first season of MPFC and so on with the others. It's probably the way to go especally at $30.
Still I am very undecided and anyone who has the discs or any of the boxes that give me help, thanks in advance.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The complete 14-disc Monty Python TV series collection is $99 at Costco.
- Steve

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
This is probablya stupid question, but what is Costco? Is it an online retailer? I'll search online now..

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Can an admin please make the topic header more descriptive?
------------------
-Dwayne

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
funny you mention Costco... I was all set to pick up this set on Friday and it seems that the Costcos in my area no longer are carrying it! I saw it last week! Boy am I kicking myself... guess i'll have to get it from http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com
------------------

bebop.jpg

Get Sea Lab 2021 on DVD!
My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba da ba Bebop Cola...yeah" -Sealab 2021

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think the topic header says it all..
digitallyOBSESSED has both reviews of the entire series, plus a contest on (last days) where you can win the whole set...
And now for something completely different...
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on November 11, 2001 at 06:30 PM]

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry but thre are no Costco's in my local area I live in. Also I searched online for the 14-disc box and nothing came up. The cheapest place is at Video Universe for only $126!
That sounds like a deal!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
was said:
It is edited. However, in the "Live in Aspen" interviews (part of the "Monty Python Live" set) the guys talk about their battles with the BBC censors over this bit. They do show the full clip with the word "masturbation" silenced, but you can clearly see he is saying it. Was this ever aired unedited or unsilenced anywhere?
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Sorry but, re. the subject title, what's that about? Is it unintentional, is it a bait, or am I missing something? Personally, I'm sick of elusive or mysterious topic headers. Would it be so difficult to be clear?
------------------
Gerardo

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The cheapest place is at Video Universe for only $126!
As Rob mentioned, the cheapest place for the set is Deep Discount DVD, who has it for $108.76 including shipping. I've found they always have the best prices (by a long shot) on A&E product. I use them all the time and they are very reliable.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Real Name
Aslean DeShaw
Actually Gerardo, in this case "It's" is a very appropriate title for this thread. Before they came up with the name 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' the creators wanted to call the show 'It's' and shot the first season with that name. That's why you always see Michael Palin dressed as a hermit saying "It's" in the opening just before the animation. When the network wouldn't let them keep the name they tacked on the animation and redubbed the series 'Monty Python's Flying Circus".
The original opening was just suppossed to be Palin saying "It's". The animation with Cleese's voice over was an add-on to appease the network. Many fans of the show still use the original title out of respect for the creators intent. When I saw the thread titled "It's" I immediately knew what it was reffering to.
Oz

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I understood the topic header immediately. I only hate it when people use those damned acronyms all the time, without explaining them first.

Sam Graves

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see the problem with the thread title. As soon as I saw it, I figured it was a Monty Python thread.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
The quality of the video in this set is pretty good. It's not breathtaking, but it certainly doesn't take anything away from the set.
Buy the 14 DVD set, it's much cheaper than buying each volume seperately.
Monty Python is great.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quality is very good.
Worth owning the entire set. Wish I had
waited a little longer to get the new complete
boxed set instead of buying them individually.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well I might buy the set after I get Brazil finally at Boarders. But I like to know how many single box were release for the set oppose the big box which contains the entire set(Boarders the indiviuals in stock).
------------------
rirsesignture.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks