What's new

It's Winter in MN - How to deal with Snow/Ice on Dish? (1 Viewer)

Bob Monio

Grip
Folks -

I'm sure this has been discussed before, however, I'm wondering how one should deal with Ice and Snow on the Satellite Dish? I have a Dual-LNB unit (DirecTV) and last evening's storm managed to degrade quality to the point where the receivers stopped making connection. I did go out and wipe the ice off the LNB's, etc., and that restored it - however, I'm wondering if there is something else that can be done (fortunately my Dish is accessible which might be the case for others around me).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Bob

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I sprayed my dish with pam and never had a build up on my dish. I'm sure other type of spray-on cooking oil will do the trick. I still get 120% strength so degradation is not a problem.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Hmmm...

What's the elevation angle on your dish??

I've had DishNetwork through 4 Maine winters, and the only time I had a problem was in the Ice Storm of '98 (6 inches of ice coated the dish, but I didn't really care since I didn't have power for 10 days anyway...) My elevation angle is 22deg, making the dish almost vertical - which may explain the rarity of the problem for me.

There are a few peel'n'stick 100 watt heaters available for $50 or less - but if your dish is accessible anyway - try the PAM trick first. Then, if you still have trouble, find yourself a heater.

-Scott

Bob Monio

Grip
Thanks for the replies - I'll try the PAM trick initially before I go to the heater.

(As far as elevation/tilt, mine is about 75-80 degrees so it was only the fact that this was mostly sticky, wet snow, that caused the problem)

Thanks!

-Bob

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Move south!!! Ha ha ha...

For the past 4 days here in Wilmington we've had sun and temps in the upper 70s... Oh sure, there is the occasional hurricane--but we haven't had one in 2 years!

Sorry, maybe that wasn't much help...

Bob Monio

Grip
Good Joke, Marc - however, I think I'll stay in Minnesota. We like it here. The change in seasons, hunting in the Autumn, Clays in the summer, Winter with a log on the fire, a DVD on the Big Screen, and a Bookers Bourbon in the hand. Can't beat it. :).

-Bob

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, one of these days I want to vaction in the Boundary Waters area...get a nice cabin on the water, bourbon, fireplace...
But I'll leave the cold and snow to you..
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks