It's Winter in MN - How to deal with Snow/Ice on Dish?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Monio, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

Folks -

I'm sure this has been discussed before, however, I'm wondering how one should deal with Ice and Snow on the Satellite Dish? I have a Dual-LNB unit (DirecTV) and last evening's storm managed to degrade quality to the point where the receivers stopped making connection. I did go out and wipe the ice off the LNB's, etc., and that restored it - however, I'm wondering if there is something else that can be done (fortunately my Dish is accessible which might be the case for others around me).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Bob

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I sprayed my dish with pam and never had a build up on my dish. I'm sure other type of spray-on cooking oil will do the trick. I still get 120% strength so degradation is not a problem.

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Hmmm...

What's the elevation angle on your dish??

I've had DishNetwork through 4 Maine winters, and the only time I had a problem was in the Ice Storm of '98 (6 inches of ice coated the dish, but I didn't really care since I didn't have power for 10 days anyway...) My elevation angle is 22deg, making the dish almost vertical - which may explain the rarity of the problem for me.

There are a few peel'n'stick 100 watt heaters available for $50 or less - but if your dish is accessible anyway - try the PAM trick first. Then, if you still have trouble, find yourself a heater.

-Scott

5. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Can even put on several applications of Rain-X on the dish.[​IMG]

6. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

Thanks for the replies - I'll try the PAM trick initially before I go to the heater.

(As far as elevation/tilt, mine is about 75-80 degrees so it was only the fact that this was mostly sticky, wet snow, that caused the problem)

Thanks!

-Bob

7. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Move south!!! Ha ha ha...

For the past 4 days here in Wilmington we've had sun and temps in the upper 70s... Oh sure, there is the occasional hurricane--but we haven't had one in 2 years!

Sorry, maybe that wasn't much help...

8. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

Good Joke, Marc - however, I think I'll stay in Minnesota. We like it here. The change in seasons, hunting in the Autumn, Clays in the summer, Winter with a log on the fire, a DVD on the Big Screen, and a Bookers Bourbon in the hand. Can't beat it. :).

-Bob

9. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Actually, one of these days I want to vaction in the Boundary Waters area...get a nice cabin on the water, bourbon, fireplace...
    But I'll leave the cold and snow to you..
    [​IMG]