What's new

Its time to unlock region codes (1 Viewer)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm thinking Warner would release more titles on Blu if only we had more threads demanding them to do so here at HTF...

As for region coding, logically in a global marketplace you'd think its days were numbered. But clearly some studios and licensees (like Olive and Criterion) must have a valid business case for using it.

I'd suggest region coding on Blu is here to stay. I bought a region free player a few months ago, so I can finally stop worrying about this issue.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
At least with Blu you mostly don't have to worry about NTSC/PAL on top of region coding. (Some exceptions for EU releases with PAL bonus content)Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Although my Oppio makes this no longer a concern, an end to region coding is way overdue.
And by the way .. could an administrator please fix up the thread's title ... 'its' should be of course 'it's'

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I don't think it's a necessary evil.

If Warner can leave RC off all of their titles (both new and catalogue) the arguments for others finding it necessary disappear.

Being able to press titles and ship them to anywhere on the planet would surely help sales.

Steve W

Manus

Second Unit
Its 17 years since I ordered my first of many Region Free players and , frankly , it feels a bit ridiculous to still be talking about it as a topic . What next , Region-Coded 'Burger-Kings ' ? Apple Corp.unable to earn billions outside of U.S. ? Look at the end-titles of any movie and see the variety of nationalities , creative individuals who strive to excel at their art . Ever looked at the extras on the ' Lord of the Rings ' trilogy ? Weta Digital with their staff from all over the globe ?? Even Alfred Hitchcock went to study moviemaking art in both Germany and Russia .

So any ' Industry ' that swims against its' own tradition and also ignores the rapidly expanding global nature of e-commerce is going to bring about its own downfall eventually and only encourage the kind of piracy that they so abhor and which can really damage profit margins . Other abominations like 'Ultra-Violet' further attempt to reinforce Region Coding by refusing to work with a legally purchased copy owned in a different ' Region' . This has even happened to me with with a U.K. purchased Region B disc of ' Snow White & The Huntsman ' . I returned home to Ireland , also Region B , only to be informed that I was living in the 'wrong' country and my digital download was unavailable . What nonsense ! So much for ' Watch Anywhere Across All your Favourite Devices ' ! :O)

Warners may not use much ''region-coding ' and that is to be applauded but they also killed ( Region Free ) Hd-Dvd having already stated only weeks earlier that they would continue to supply both formats for the foreseeable future claiming there were too many 'formats' . How many formats and distribution methods are there now ?? Lots.

M

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Yorkshire said:
I don't think it's a necessary evil.If Warner can leave RC off all of their titles (both new and catalogue) the arguments for others finding it necessary disappear.Being able to press titles and ship them to anywhere on the planet would surely help sales.Steve W
It all depends on if they have the rights in certain territories and how strong their legal department is. Warner's does not have the RKO rights except in North America, so any Blu-ray of those titles my be coded. The regions were designed to protect the rights holders. Example is Shaun Of The Dead was released and out on Home Entertainment in The UK before it was released to Theatres in the US.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
While I do not like the concept of region coding it is so easy to circumvent with either multiple players or codefree players that I do not really see it as problematic these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks