What's new

Its time for an Oscar for Robert Harris (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Dear Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences--How about a special Oscar for the work Robert Harris has done for film preservation over the years, saving such great films as LAWRENCE OF ARABIA---SPARTACUS---MY FAIR LADY. I think his time has come.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Robert Harris most certainly deserves an Oscar!
On another note here in New York with all these Hollywood transplants leeching off this town and none of them stepped up to the plate to try to save the Ziegfeld. The theater community would never have let this travesty happen and have repeatedly fought to save stage venue after venue. The one last lone grand single screen movie house allowed to close tomorrow night. Unbelievable. LA , Boston, and Chicago all have them- as do London Paris and Rome. Many of us went to see The Force Awakens this week (I went last night) with a pang in our hearts. Disgusting.

I will always cherish my memories of viewing Robert Harris' Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus, and My Fair Lady there. An Oscar for him is long overdue- his efforts have contributed immensely to the whole home video/ film restoration phenomenon.

Frank Bidart

Premium
The care and necessarily fanatical attention to detail that Robert Harris has demonstrated over several generations of technological innovation--saving what was about to be lost, then twenty years later doing it again with better tools and even more impressive results--deserve an Oscar. Film lovers forever will be in his debt. Frank Bidart

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of the best film going experiences ever was seeing Lawrence Of Arabia in Chicago in 1989 on a big screen...Thanks Robert!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia, My Fair Lady, Spartacus...any others? Personally I think that's plenty to offer the Academy for their consideration. We are no indebted to him. And so is the cause of film preservation.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Totally agree. It would be well deserved. There has to be some recognition paid to preserving the past and restoring it to its former glory.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, short of a real Oscar, which I suppose could happen, I think we should simply award Mr. Harris a Home Theater Forum Award for Superb Restoration of Classic (and Endangered) Motion Pictures. Congrats, Mr. Harris! Bask in your admiration, for you have much of it here, even if Hollywood overlooks your efforts.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Let it be written, then: Henceforth, he shall be known as... KING BOB!

e83efc660ae1fd1d420dacb58d00d953.jpg

Mark VH

Second Unit
Jim*Tod said:
AGREED. But as we know the Academy seems to have little interest in film history or legacy.

Exactly. That's why they gave the Honorary Award to Maureen O'Hara in 2014, Angela Lansbury in 2013, D.A. Pennebaker in 2012 and Kevin Brownlow in 2010. No interest in film history whatsoever.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
First I second the Oscar for Robert Harris!!

Second I support a Honorary Oscar for MGM's Gary Barber for all his efforts in preserving & bringing to the movie-loving public films of cinematic historical significance such as The Alamo and...

Oh...

Wait.

Correction, that shoud be a Honorary Razzie Award.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes---they did give those honorary awards to the people you mention, but in the main ceremony they were mentioned only in passing. Very little time was given to them.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Jim*Tod said:
Yes---they did give those honorary awards to the people you mention, but in the main ceremony they were mentioned only in passing. Very little time was given to them.

That's a fair point. They've more recently been relegating these to a separate show and I agree they should absolutely be a part of the main broadcast.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They always have that whole separate ceremony off-site of the broadcast for those achievements in the technical side of the industry. It is usually lucky to get a passing mention in the broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks