What's new

It's time for a digital camera - and I'm not happy (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
A caveat with the Canon Digital Rebel (aka EOS-300D - geez what's with the multiple names?): It's rather slow previewing pictures stored on the flash. Also, you need to buy a separate card reader for it, because the built-in USB support has the slowest file transfer speed I've ever seen!

But what do you expect for a

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

This goes for the 10D as well. It's only USB 1.1, but the reader is the way to go, I prefer that method myself.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, my spider web photos should give you some idea of the resolution of the 10D. In some of them you have to view the original size to see the web. Any focus problems should be blamed on me, it's a bit tough for the autofocus to see the web.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. They have been a big help.

Feeling a bit like a traitor to film, I went out and looked at a bunch of digital cameras this weekend. I very much like the Canon. Unfortunately, I liked the feel of the 10D a lot more than the Rebel. (Unfortunately since it's $500 more ;) ) Another plus to the Canon are the Canon lenses my dad has lying around after he went to a non-Canon digital....

I have to say that it's real nice to see the picture immediately after taking it and to see the results of changing the exposure and other parameters.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get me one of these in the very near future. I was quite impressed.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear that Julie!

I was getting pretty bored with photography the last few years but digital SLRs have brought back all of the fun. You can practice a technique, get immediate feedback to master the technique, and then delete all of the practice shots without it costing you anything.

Just a note about the 10D: Due to the size of the sensor being smaller than a 35mm frame, you multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6 to get it’s equivalent focal length. So for example if you have a 100mm focal length lens, it will effectively act like a 160mm lens with the 10D.

Most digital cameras have a similar focal length multiplier unless you buy the ~$5,000.00 Canon 1Ds which has a sensor about the same size as a 35mm frame. The good news is that you are using just the center of the optics which is usually sharper.

The 1.6 multiplier is great for telephoto shots but a disadvantage for wide angle shots.

Jay Taylor

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I forgot about the focal length difference. It's a pain in the ass for group shots. The Canon 300D with the 18-55 lens is the only inexpensive way to get those wide shots without spending a fortune. :angry:

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Although I have 3 lenses for the 10D, on the trip to Italy I took all but a few of the 1100 shots with the Canon 17-40 L lens. I absolutely love that lens it is so sharp.

Now that I'm home by the lake I'm back to using a telephoto to capture nature shots. That's where the 1.6 multiplier is a telephoto lover's dream come true.

Jay Taylor

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

It's more than a $500 difference when you consider that the $999 Rebel kit comes with a zoom lens (unique to it??), and that the more expensive camera's price is body-only.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

Yep, I believe it's available only with that camera, and that series of lenses, EF-S I think, only works on the digital Rebel. It takes the standard EF lenses also, but it's the only Canon so far that can use the new ones.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
Before you decide on the Canon, be sure to check out other brands. I use the Fuji S2-Pro. I bought it over the 10d because with Fuji's unique CCD, the camera produces images with the detail of around 9-10 megapixels. I routinely sell prints 13"x34" and larger.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've heard that Canon will be releasing a replacement for the 10D towards the end of the year, probably around fall. That's what I'm waiting for.

If you like compact style cameras, the Leica Digilux 2 looks like it's the best one available. The samples I've seen people post at www.dpreview.com are outstanding. Right out of the camera, they are sharp, have great tone, contrast, and dynamic range, and nice saturated colors. It also has a great big leica lens, and retro manual camera styling. Unfortunately, it's also by far the most expensive compact digital available, over $1800. It also has a small sensor, so the ISO doesn't go above 400, and 400 is pretty noisy (although it doesn't look nearly as bad as other compact digitals at ISO 400)

Here is a link to a D2 gallery from someone at dpreview.

I wish it weren't so expensive, or had a large DSLR size sensor. I'd be very tempted after seeing what it can do.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Sony DSC-F828 is an excellent camera. The only real issue I have with it is the excessive PF/CA problems that can pop-up. I rarely see it, but when it's there it's noticeable. It is easily fixed in post-processing. The noise is high only with higher ISO settings (200+). This is also easily corrected with Noise Ninja.

Some people don't like post-processing their pictures, but I condider it part of the entire picture making process.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
If I want to do something special to the photo, such as convert to black and white or sepia or do some other effect, I don't mind post processing, and even sometimes like it. However, I think I should be able to get a printable photo straight out of the camera. Hopefully when I get a DSLR I'll be able to do this.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Brian,

The D-SLRs typically require some post processing for the best pictures. The consumer grade cameras will prints straight from the camera with less fiddling.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, I always like to tweak my pictures somewhat...Maybe a little USM here, a little contrast adjusment, whatever is needed.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That Leica looks sweet! Good styling too. :D

I found that I rarely do post-processing on my Canon Digital Rebel...it's a refreshing change from the overly-sharp (aka EDGE ENHANCEMENT!) images found in the compact digitals. If you don't like edge enhancement on DVDs, you'll hate the look of images from the compact digitals!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks