What's new

It's Snowing! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I know most of the folks up north won't care, but we finally got snow in Atlanta today! Yay! Hopefully we won't have to go to work tomorrow. And might get to only work a half day today. Atlanta is one of those cities that stops in its tracks when it snows.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ohh, us up north folks do care, but we don't freak out like all you southerners! :)
Do you guys have a flake count like if there are more than 40 flakes on the ground, work is called off and everybody goes home?
Jay

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty close! Supposedly the roads are icing up, and no one knows how to drive on the ice, so it's pretty ugly when it does snow.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
No one knows how to drive on ice? It's been my experience that in Atlanta no one even knows how to drive. ;) But seriously, I remember the first time it snowed when I moved south (coming from upstate NY and NH). Two flurries and everyone buys up all the bread an water. But it's true, if it ices there really is no way to handle it. Doesn't happy often enough to make a salt truck or plows worth while. I guess the snow is on it's way...time to go to the grocery store.
Dan Hine

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
There is pretty much one way to drive on ice: studded tires. Since they are illegal, ice is pretty much a good sign to stay put.

Now that work is closed, time to watch all the Godfather movies in sequence!

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I love the snow and frost.
Makes for some beautiful scenery.
BTW..It's -13F up here..got to love that.:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
On last night's local news, they were marveling over the fact that Atlanta is getting snow before New York this year. I guess it fits with a December that was the warmest on record -- ever.

M.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

You might get your wish..I heard on the radio this morning they are predicting a mix of snow, freezing rain and sleet as far south as Ocala tonight....

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My favorite was I think 4 years ago. We drove fom Saskatchewan to Pheonix for Christmas. When we left Saskatchewan on the 21st of Dec there was no snow. We didn't see any snow until we got to Vegas. :laugh: talk about picking a bad year to go south.
Come on Trevor, gotta make them think we are even crazier. Remember 5 or 6 years ago when we had that really nasty two weeks where the temp was between -45 and -50 Celsius with a -60 to -65 Celsius wind chill. -65C is -85F.
Oh and I walked for just over 10 minutes to school every day for those two weeks (well except for weekends).

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Lucky you Patrick, I wish we had snow up here in Calgary, Alberta. There's still a bit on the ground - mostly chunks of ice, but it doesn't look like it's snowed since I left for holidays (December 22). Enjoy it while it lasts!

Dan B

Screenwriter
You're lucky. To my disappointment, there's barely an inch of snow on the ground here in central Wisconsin. :angry:
I'm anxious to do some snowmobiling. :emoji_thumbsup: At least we did get some snow before Christmas...barely.
-Dan B.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Snow...What is snow?? Down here in my part of Texas all we ever get is ice. Everything shuts down when we get some. One year, when my fiancee still lived up north, they were laughing at the news reports from down here. Everyone slideing around. Well, I was laughing when I heard that there cars over heat in 90F. That feels good to me. :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I just got off the phone with a friend in Atlanta and they mentioned the possibility of up to 6" of snow there. With those hills and the complete lack of snow removal equipment (why would they need it), I can understand the city being shut down.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Heavy Heavy Sigh. Along the shores of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin there is absolutely no snow on the ground. I love the snow and the scenery. :frowning:
And none in sight yet either.

Jin E

Second Unit
My Front Yard in Alabama:
Snow_0009.jpg

Stinky Pete trying to decide if he needs to use the bathroom enough to venture out into fields of a unknown white substance.
Snow_0008.jpg

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Well, I was laughing when I heard that there cars over heat in 90F.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Who told you that? Whoever it was, they were smoking something funny. Most engines operate between 195 and 240 degrees F. That's all the time, whether it's -10 or 105 outside. The only cars that overheat when the outside temps climb are those that have a problem with their cooling systems. And, in that case, the car would overheat no matter what the outside temperature is. The only exception? If the cooling system is just ever so slightly out of whack... then hot summer temps could trigger a problem. But the root issue is still a problem with the cooling system. I can assure you, cars "up north" do not simply overheat due to high temperatures.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Usually here in Arkansas, we get a little ice about the middle of Jan - beginning of Feb then it stays cold and rains until April.
What's this snow I keep hearing about? ;)

Will K

Screenwriter
We're getting slammed here in the South. 2 inches in two hours and nothing but slick, white roads. Looks like a day off tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks