It's raining.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Yesterday afternoon/early evening saw the strongest rain in London that I've ever experienced. I'd place a bet that it was the strongest rain EVER in the national's capital. I live nearish to the highest point in the city, and the roads had turned into rivers. Cars were tire deep in water on the roads. Car alarms were randomly going off. Houses that were once thought to be flood-free had a nice lining of water throughout. My garden patio was filled knee deep with water. It took 3 hours for it to drain away. My cat came in as it it had been swimming. After drying her for 10 minutes, she looked like she would normally after coming in after the rain! Tube stations were closed, overland trains were stationary, waiting for flooded tracks to clear, and thunder and lightning rocked the skys. Its even raining right now. The only thing is, IT'S THE MIDDLE OF AUGUST FOR THE LOVE OF........ Our height of summer will likely take the record for rainfall this year. British weather ladies and gents.

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah, when I got out at Brent Cross it was the eye of the storm - no gap betwixt lightning and thunder!! And the pavements round my house were totally impassable. I had to ruin my shoes (pretty much) just to get into the house!!
    And it's still looking pretty mad out there. Guess you had to walk a bit this morning, Paul, as Chalk Farm and Belsize Park were both closed on my way in. It's madness!! Reading may be interesting for those poor souls this year!! [​IMG]

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Strange things sure are going on around the work.

In Ontario we have gotten about one third of the rain we usually would.

I think that the praries are even worse.

Is the El NINO effect still happening??

Brent

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

BTW, Theo, have you ever come across a £5 coin? I got given one today when I bought my lunch at Pret. They assured me it was real, but it looks very suspicious. It's huge, it doesn't have the value on it, and it's got Charles and Diana on the back. I guess it could be some sort of commenorative souvenir anniversary coin. I've tried to unload it at two different shops and they wouldn't take it. I'll take it to a bank for confirmation tomorrow if I can't get rid of it.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Paul, it should be real. The £5 coin has appeared at various times, always for a limited period and always to commemorate (IIRC) something Royal.

I would guess someone found it, didn't think it was worth keeping and spent it...

There's bound to be a site for the Royal Mint (I'm almost certain there is) where they'd show images of coins that you could check against...

Should be roughly the size of a £2 coin I think.

7. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Rain? What's that? Here in Southern California, rain has been very scarce. I think this year it has rained twice at my home. I can't say that I remember either time. I love everything about the rain except driving in it and of course the flooding it can cause. I love the feeling of sitting in our home, warm and safe while it's raining outside. Sometimes I even go sit on the patio right in the middle of it. For the past 6 years I've had an unofficial agreement my wife that I would stay home from work every time it was raining when I woke up in the morning. The last 2 years I've stayed home only once. An early morning rain is very romantic to me. If I wake up and it's raining, I'll "wake up the wife" and go right back to sleep. I love days like that.

Each day on the way to work we pass "Lake Hodges" in Escondido. 8 years ago it was actually a real lake. Maybe as deep as 30'. Over the last 6 years that same lake has gonna from lake to shallow pool to swamp to grassland to forest. There are now 10' to 20' tree there. Very weird. I miss the rain.

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

9. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Paul, is it marked with the year 1981? I just looked around for it, and found one selling with Charles and Diana with no monetary marking. It was produced in 1981 for their wedding. It was selling for US$125.
    I saw the the rains in London on the news. Damn!
    Update:
    Hmmm... Perhaps not. I found more info, and found this link: http://www.24carat.co.uk/1981crown.html which says that coin is really only worth 25 pence (face), and you isn't worth much beyond that as a collectors item.
    I do find it fascinating you got it as change and no shops take it! We have relatively rarely seen money in the US (50-cent coins, dollar coins, two dollars bills, over one-hundred dollar bills, -- but I've never run across one that no one had heard of...)

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I experienced rain like that in Toronto a few years back where the water was coming in through the doors of the car. Water was also spurting out of the drains like fountains rather than going down the drain.

11. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Howard: Our normal "rainy" season consisted of zero rainfall this year, almost. I think the year-to-date total in Los Angeles is somewhat less than five inches. And look at the resulting wildfires sprouting up everywhere in SoCal. Pretty dismal. I'd like some rain. JB

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My roommate is over there right now on vacation. That must really suck for him. [​IMG]

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter