1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

It's PAST time for an "All the President's Men" SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by GeorgePaul, Dec 1, 2004.

1. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

The current disc is an old 1998 flipper with a trailer and some production notes on it, and now that we've reached the 30th anniversary of Nixon's resignation, this disc is rapidly becoming a joke--unbefitting of the premiere journalism film of all time.

This should be the next restoration project for Warner's, IMO. Add a Charlie De Lauzirika doc, a Redford and Hoffman commentary, a tribute to Alan Pakula (in his finest work as a director), and a Woodward and Bernstein retrospective and Warner's has yet another winner to add to its already superlative classic DVD library.

Any news on a new release of this film that I've missed, maybe?

2. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Agreed. I am also waiting on another Redford film to get a better DVD treatment. Of course, that movie is "The Sting".

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    The existing release of this film is sub-par. Picture quality is barely acceptable. However, this was one of the earliest DVD's, and the mediocre quality is acceptable. I would be willing to bet that Warners is currently working on a special edition. The film was just too important to be ignored.

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

They are probably sitting on it until the remake hits the theaters next year.

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Huh? There's going to be a remake?

6. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Yeah... you can do a search on the net and you'll find something. I'm pretty sure I read something @ www.comingsoon.net

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Ah, I think I just figured it out...perhaps you're thinking of All the King's Men, which is indeed being remade. Not All the President's Men, which (not that I would put it past Hollywood to do this if they thought it would make money) would be particularly pointless to remake, in that it was completely wrapped up in the headlines of the time.

I certainly hope that All The President's Men gets a nice 2-disc SE at some point, and though I don't know of anything on the horizon, I trust Warner's to do a good job when they get around to it, considering how much butt they've kicked with their 2-disc SE line. As for The Sting, an absolute favorite of mine, I wish I had the same faith in Universal, but I certainly don't.

8. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I can't beleive they held off on releasing it before the year closes out. I really admire WB for doing as much work to enhance the DVD marketplace with the line of SE titles. It appears 2005 is going to be a stellar year again from the WB boys!!