It's on the way..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EarleD, Jul 31, 2003.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I took advantage of the deal page and my wife and I just purchased a new Dell. Its the 4600 series.

I currently am using an old Dell Dimension xps r350 Pentium II. Going to a Pentium 4 with 800hz bus. Should I expect a huge differnece in performance with typical applications (Word, Photoshop 4)?

I currently have 320 megs of ram, the new one is coming with 256 DDR ram, will that be enough for XP Pro?

It should be here on Mon or Tues. I can hardly wait for the new toy.

Earle

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'd run 512, but don't buy it through dell, they charge about twice as much as crucial does. Make sure to add the memory in pairs of the same type of memory module so you take advantage of the dual channel memory bonus. I'm assuming its coming with 2 128MB modules, so just buy 2 more from www.crucial.com.

Or sell the 2 128's on ebay that come with it and buy 2 256MB modules. $54 for 1 256 or $29 for 1 128.

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

I agree with Mike about the ram. You will be fine with 256, but if it were me I would run at least 512 and buy the ram through similiar channels that Mike described.

Also, if you are going from that Pentium II to a P4 you are going to see a speed difference in whatever you are running. (Word and definitely photoshop) I went form a P3 800mhz to a P4 1.7ghz and was astounded at how fast my computer performed certain tasks. I also do a significant amount of video encoding and the old P3 takes 3-4 times as long as my P4 to encode identical video files.

You will be one happy camper.

djb

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Cool, Mon cant get here soon enough. I guess I should give the workstation a good cleaning.

earle

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I'd go with 1gb of ram, given that XP is a ram hog, and you seem to keep your computers for a while

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

8. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Well guys,

It arrived today, 3 days early.[​IMG]

This computer is way faster than my old one. I'm very happy. Im just starting to reinstall my saoftware and remove the crap that came with the Dell.

Now what to so with the old one. Music server maybe?

Earle

9. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

10. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

256 or 512 would be fine.

I run a P4 2.23ghz with 512mb ram at work and it runs great.. I don't see anyone needing 1GB of ram unless you are heavy into graphics/video editing

even 256MB would be just fine for windows XP, i've setup dozens of computers in that configuration and there are no problems..

I prefer 512mb just because it gives a little more headroom over 256.. but either will work

11. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

The more I use this computer the more I wish I had upgraded sooner. The pentium 4 chip is much faster than my old Pentium 2.

One gripe is Dell includes Easy CD Creator 5 Basic, but you cant write a CD image to the hard drive unless you upgrade.

I had to buy a new scanner because my old HP Scanjet 4P is incompatable with XP, not to mention I dont have a PCI SCSI card. I now have a great scanner for sale. HP ScanJet 4p with SCSI card. Can scan a 12X18 document. Built like a tank.

Best offer+shipping

Earle

12. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent

EarleD,
    I believe you can copy a CD image to disk with EZCD 5 Basic, as I do it all the time on my Dell. Open the Roxio Project Selector and select make a music CD. Insert the CD you want to copy. The songs will appear in the top window. Now click and drag the songs you wish to copy from the top window to the bottom window. Click on file and select create CD hard disk image. You will get a window to name the image file. The recording will now begin. Click OK after the recording has finished. Now click on file and select record CD from CD image. You'll get a window to enter the name of the file you just created, followed by a record CD setup window where you specify the recording properties.
    Hope this helped!
    Steve