What's new

It's ON like Donkey KONG! 14th new lappys are GO (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I expect the new MacBooks to sport a IEEE-1394 port, mostly because Mac users are used to using IEEE-1394 port devices. This is especially true if you have to copy video from a digital camcorder (many digital camcorders use IEEE-1394 connections).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The way I had it explained to me by a techie was that the theoretical limit of USB2.0 was greater than Firewire400 (480Mbps vs. 400Mbps) but in actual practice Firewire400 average throughput was faster. My own anecdotal evidence comes with two different external drives of 500GB each, both were 7200RPM 16MB Cache, but my Firewire drive clones my HD faster than my USB drive did [using Carbon Copy Cloner, 1 hour 12 minutes vs. 1 hour 23 minutes]. Granted the "drives may not be equal" but I'd think WD uses similar spec'd internal HDs since they were priced comparably.

Also, I believe Firewire is less of a resource/CPU drain than USB.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Some of the Mac sites have got ahold of a retail price list for the new notebooks. Starting point is $899. That sounds about right to me - $200 less than the previous low. That should move a lot of notebooks.

Pics of the new port configs are also all over. As mentioned above, it's clear they're going to a mini-DVI port on both MB & MBP. No firewire on MB, and only FW800 on the new MBPs. I was surprised at first that they were dropping FW400, but I guess adapters are readily available. Plus, every firewire device I've ever seen has a passthru port for daisy-chaining, so the loss of the 2nd FW port is not that big of a deal.

MacBooks going aluminum, nVidia chip sets, MBP getting the same keyboard as the MB & MBA - done deals, all of 'em. Looks like the MBP will be getting the magnetic latch & easy-to-replace hard drive from the MB as well (about time!).

I still don't think any kind of internal Blu-Ray option is coming, but I wil buy into external BD support, perhaps even an Apple-branded BD drive.

Other last-minute rumors floating around, and my take (FWIW, which is not much at all):

* Apple-branded HDTVs w/ built-in Apple TV functionality. Craig says: I don't think so.

* iLife 09 & iWork 09. Craig says: Doesn't really make sense as the event is explicitly targeted to notebooks. Apple will go back to unveiling the latest revs of these suites at Macworld in January.

* Some kind of docking solution for notebooks (wireless, docking displays...). Craig says: I would love to see something along these lines, although the fact that there are no solid rumors makes me doubt it. Hope i'm wrong and this will be "One more thing..."

* The long-rumored "iTablet" touch device, about twice the size of the iPhone. Apple's answer to the netbook craze - a device that slots in nicely between the iPhone and a MacBook Air. Craig says: I firmly believe that Apple is developing such a device. But we won't see it tomorrow. I'm guessing this will be the big Macworld annoucement in January 09.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, Apple branded HDTVs would cost a grip! (given their standard markup) I'm not sure this would be a smart move given the economy. However, the Apple Displays are long overdue for a new version.

iLife and iWork: Yes the event is about notebooks, but inevitably these programs "come with a new Mac" (though existing Mac owners must buy them) so it could prove to be a selling point to move notebooks.

Firewire 800 is backwards compatible to 400 and I don't think a true converter is needed, just a simple, cheap 400 to 800 cable. One of these was included as a pack-in in my OWC external HD I bought. So it makes sense to dump a 400 if an 800 is going to be available.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, John Gruber at "Daring Fireball" has posted a comprehensive rundown of the new laptops. It sounds like he's seen them and is privy to the details. In a nutshell:

* New 15" MBP: Black iMac-like screen border, magnetic latch, black MB Air-like backlit keys, single piece aluminum frame - all check.
* A new glass trackpad that is clickable. No trackpad button - the trackpad IS the button. Interesting...
* No matte screen option on 15" MBP - glossy only (they're going to catch hell for that).
* No new 17" MBP. Current MBP will remain on sale at same price with RAM/HD bumps.

The following he classifies as "educated guesses":

* New MBs look like 13" versions of the new MBPs.
* MB Airs getting larger drives (120 GB HD or 128 GB SSD)
* All new models (MB, MBP, MBA) getting NVidia 9400M GPU, said to be a screamer.
* New MBP getting a 2nd GPU, NVidia 9600M GT. He speculates this one draws less power and will be used on battery.
* He says sub-$1000 price point is bogus. New MBs start at $1299. The older white MB remains available, and drops to $999.
* Finally - a new display!! 24 inch Apple LED Display being intro'd today at $899 price point. Jeez, at that price Dell will continue to sell lots of monitors to Mac users...

I don't know what to think of any of this. Having both the old & new designs in the lineup at the same time seems kind of confusing, and very unJobsian. Guess we'll know for sure in about 5 hours.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I think a trackpad with an integrated mouse button is a dumb idea. There's nothing wrong with the current software implementation via System Preferences.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
FWIW I totally trust Gruber. Having the different designs available at the same time is not unprecedented in the El Jobso era: When the PowerMac G5s were introduced, the MDD PowerMac G4 were kept around at $1299 to fill the lower price point and support OS 9 which the G5's didn't.

In this case the we are talking price point at the low end, and possibly lack of affordable/available 17" LED backlit panels? That and maybe Jobso has decided that 17" is a bogus size, that people who want the bigger display size should be attaching an external ACD to their MacBooks, and that portability, lightness and long battery life are the key -- what used to be 15 & 17 are now 13 & 15.

Now I wonder if a full lineup new ACDs will be announced at the event?

Ted

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

That's EXACTLY what i thought, and then I said to myself "Apple can't be THAT stupid" so what are we missing? Maybe it's fully multitouch or has a built in AppleTV or something.... I think that the likely thing is that this is a combo of the rumors we have heard. THIS is the Apple HDTV we have all heard rumors about, but it will be smaller than anyone expected.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hmm, interesting thought. Or maybe it's the "docking monitor" that was the subject of an Apple patent application earlier this year - sort of a hollow iMac you slip your MacBook into.

Unfortunately, it's more than likely just a boring overpriced monitor. :frowning:

C'mon Steve - prove me wrong!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah at $899 that Apple Display better have something going for it, like using IPS panels instead of TN at near-gaming-acceptable refresh speeds.

I have a matte MBP but I don't think I'd have too much of an issue for a glossy only MBP, but I'm sure others will feel very much against it. I would like the protection of the screen. I know others feel it compromises the color accuracy but hey, wasn't it revealed that the MB/MBP screens were only 6 bit TN panels which couldn't really show the "millions" of colors anyway?

I'm interested to see how many Gruber calls correctly. If he gets them all right, I'll upgrade him to McGruber status!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Since it's ON like Donkey KONG, anyone know if the event will
be video broadcast somewhere on the net?

I suppose a live text report will be on Mac Rumors?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
:laugh:

And... the Apple Store is down! The countdown to new gear begins!

Ron, I don't believe there will be any video streams. Your best bet is to follow Engadget or one of the other sites that will be live-blogging the event.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know Ron, it's ironic but Mr. Steve "iTunes/Podcast/Webcast" Jobs seems to not like his events live streamed. You'd think with all the work he's done to deliver audio/video to the masses, he'd start with live versions of his keynote speeches and important events. Yet we've still had to deal with text updates from Mac fan sites, with a follow-up video/podcast later in the day or the next day.

But also, with the amount of interest out there, maybe they don't have the bandwidth to handle streaming? Or maybe they do this in case there are any slip ups or faux-pas they can edit it out later? Who knows.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Another interesting observation: is there any other website that when it goes down, actually causes excitement?

Usually when a site I frequent goes down, my reaction is usually "what the f@#k get your act together and get the site backup!" :angry:

But with Apple Store, it's like WOO-HOO it's down! New goodies about to come! :D

Any other site do that for you?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm for the option of having a matte finish on the laptops...I hated the glossy finish on my last notebook. Its fine on our iMac as it doesn't move and can easily be placed where the reflections aren't an issue...not the case for my MacBook Pro :frowning:

I don't mind the removal of the button on the trackpad...in fact I never use it away preferring to just tap the track pad.

$900 for a 24" monitor is insane though and there has to be something else to it to justify that price point...I'd love for it to be a MacBook dock but I'm not sure that's Apple's 'thing'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks